Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Learning to shoot layups yeahwhathesaid's Avatar

Default Is the Michael Jordan of the late 80's better than the Michael Jordan of the 90's?

statistically the pre championship jordan is better in almost every category except for 3 pt shooting. Jordan from the late 80's was a far better defensive player than he was in the 90's. and you cant say jordan didnt have a jumper back then, because his ft percentage is actually higher than in the 90's. also his ppg is higher.

turns illusions for $ ShannonElements's Avatar

Personally, I think MJ was at his best in the early 90's. That's when he had his best combination of athleticism, smarts, and experience, as well as more shooting range.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

You don't shoot jumpers from the Free Throw line.

Jordan was at his peak during the first threepeat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    You don't shoot jumpers from the Free Throw line.
    Yeah, what he said.

Local High School Star

80's-early 90's Jordan was obvisously more athletic, while the mid 90's Jordan was much more of a leader and wiser. So the dispute is between a Super Young althletic man or a Little bit older man that maybe lost a tiny step but has more smarts and still creams over everyone by a mile. Can't decide yet

NBA rookie of the year

Default re:

well obviously younger PRime Jordan was the superior player

but older Jordan learned how to play within the team scope... and still take over at the right times... to lead to more champinosihps

Quote Originally Posted by VCDrivesAPorscheToWork
    well obviously younger PRime Jordan was the superior player

but older Jordan learned how to play within the team scope... and still take over at the right times... to lead to more champinosihps
    That's why I think MJ was at his peak in the early 90's. He stil had the athleticism, yet he was wiser and smarter and could lead a team.

This thread reminds me of that old cmmercial where "old" Jordan was challenged by "young" Jordan. Ran mid/late 90's, I think...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    This thread reminds me of that old cmmercial where "old" Jordan was challenged by "young" Jordan. Ran mid/late 90's, I think...
    Ah, no kiddin'? I'd like to see it. Link?

NBA rookie of the year

Default re:

moreover, unless you've found a way to disaggregate Michael's career shooting percentage from outside jumpshots and inside shots, you should not look at his FG% as an indication he is a good shooter. he could merely have been drivin to the basket a lot (and he did a lot early in his career)

owwwww

Prime Jordan was like Thorp said during the first three peat. He had the perfect mix of athelicsm and expierence.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    I always wondered how they did that. It was the gatorade one right? I was amazed by it.

Found it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL6pY...n%20commercial

Cool commercial. UNC Jordan even makes an appearance.

crawford, mashburn

that commerical ran in 2003, MJs last year, and can definatley be found on youtube.

Learning to shoot layups yeahwhathesaid's Avatar

the unc jordan and the skinny jordan doesnt look like michael, escpecially the unc jordan.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonElements
    Personally, I think MJ was at his best in the early 90's. That's when he had his best combination of athleticism, smarts, and experience, as well as more shooting range.
    Yup. His prime was from '88-'93 imo, and if I had to narrow it down to a two-year period, I'd take '91-'92 Jordan (i.e., the '90-'91 and '91-'92 seasons). So I guess you could say the 90's Jordan was better, though the 80's Jordan may have been slightly more individually dominant.