Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Top 1 Bball Mind.

Default Re: Kobe: Melo harder to defend than Lebron.

lebron may be the only player in NBA history to average 30 ppg and scoring not be his best asset.

NBA sixth man of the year Indian guy's Avatar

Meh. You would get a similar response from LeBron too, if asked who's tougher to guard between 'Melo and Kobe. He'd pick 'Melo in a second.

Quote Originally Posted by BEAST Griffin
    Lebron would make Kobe cry if he tried to defend him. I can see Kobe give more trouble to Carmelo.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR6Paxum3pE

I want to see Kobe defending the post against Lebron

No, really... have no idea what Kobe is talking about, he never had any problem against Carmelo whatsoever.... but Lebron? Different story...

Its not just the stats/wins, but watching all those games Carmelo was not able to torch Kobe/Lakers as Lebron did and neither was he able to defend Kobe as well as Lebron did, not even close... Meanwhile Kobe was able to torch & defend Carmelo more often than not, but against Lebron, no...

In those games Carmelo would avoid to defend Kobe and offensively what he did most of the time against Kobe was to face up, wait 1-2 seconds, 1 jabstep and then shoot a perimeter or midrange jumpshot... sure its hard to swat it, but thats really it.... but Lebron was doing that but did also blow by Kobe 24-7 and breaked his ankles and ragdolled him in the post backing him up... and has been defending him very well... Meanwhile Kobe was sweating his behind of trying to guard Lebron, especially when Kobe would try to full-court press defend Lebron bringing the ball up, he had to play MUCH more defense against Lebron...
    Last edited by pauk; 12-13-2012 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    No, really... have no idea what Kobe is talking about, he never had any problem against Carmelo whatsoever.... but Lebron? Different story...

Its not just the stats/wins, but watching all those games Carmelo was not able to torch Kobe/Lakers as Lebron did and neither was he able to defend Kobe as well as Lebron did, not even close... Meanwhile Kobe was able to torch & defend Carmelo more often than not, but against Lebron, no...

In those games what Carmelo did most of the time against Kobe was to face up, wait 1-2 seconds, 1 jabstep and then shoot a perimeter or midrange jumpshot... sure its hard to swat it, but thats really it.... but Lebron was doing that but did also blow by Kobe 24-7 and breaked his ankles and ragdolled him in the post backing him up... and has been defending him very well...
    Kobe only care about playoffs I think, It was hard for him in 2009 vs Denver.

If you heared the interview he didn't bring LBJ name up it was SAS. He said "for me Its Melo"

those regular season games you pointed don't say much because its not like they go against each other 48 minutes.

in 2009 Lakers were without MWP, Ariza was a bit injured in that series and Kobe guard Melo the whole series. that's why I think he said it, no disrespect to Lebron.

NBA lottery pick

I don't get how people can question Kobe's opinion, he plays and is actually on the court and has practice against these guys. If he thinks melo is harder to guard than who are you to question him lol

Quote Originally Posted by White Mamba
    Kobe only care about playoffs I think, It was hard for him in 2009 vs Denver.

If you heared the interview he didn't bring LBJ name up it was SAS. He said "for me Its Melo"

those regular season games you pointed don't say much because its not like they go against each other 48 minutes.

in 2009 Lakers were without MWP, Ariza was a bit injured in that series and Kobe guard Melo the whole series. that's why I think he said it, no disrespect to Lebron.
    Sure, but my point is Kobe had factually MUCH more problems defending Lebron (including Durant) rather than Carmelo... speaking of Durant, playoffs & Kobe, take a look at what Durant did against Kobe in the playoffs... Lebron/Durant have been much more evil against Kobe... Carmelo has not done anything against Kobe infact, have no idea what Kobe is talking about...
    Last edited by pauk; 12-13-2012 at 12:45 PM.

5-time NBA All-Star

What's so wrong about the statement. Lebron would be harder to handle if he posted up more but he doesn't. Mello has a much better jab step, applies more skills in the post, has more moves, gets you off balance more, and mixes up the jump shot and dribble manipulation much more. Mello is much more likely to use his combo of speed, skills, creativity and strength than Lebron will.

Lebron usually commits to the jump shot or drive. The only critical moment in defending Lebron is when he tries to victimize you with his first step to get by you (but he give you a clue as to when he will do this by backing out to the 30 foot line to begin his move). To a much lesser extent he will use his body on you in the post, but this is rare. Mello is more likely to use his strength in the post against a defender in a game than Lebron is. And this is even true when Mello is being guarded by powerforwards (Mello gets bigger players off balance and then uses his power on them). With Mello, you have no idea of when the attack will begin, which way to lean, will he continue after his first, second or third move, when will he pull up, he has no favorite spots to deny him and rarely will you see the same move twice in the same game. You don't know when he is going to spin, juke, powermove, or finesse his way. Mello is manipulating the second he gets the ball and has a great versatile attack.

Lebron has the capacity to do what Mello does but he keeps it really simple. It's unlikely you can match his power but he's much more likely to use his speed to beat you.

Quote Originally Posted by pauk
    Sure, but my point is Kobe had factually MUCH more problems defending Lebron (including Durant) rather than Carmelo... speaking of Durant, playoffs & Kobe, take a look at what Durant did against Kobe in the playoffs... Lebron/Durant have been much more evil against Kobe... Carmelo has not done anything against Kobe infact, have no idea what Kobe is talking about...
    Kobe guard Westbrook for the most part, MWP guard the both players you mention.

If Kobe guard them 3 or 4 times a game it doesn't mean much.

The Magical T-Mac HardwoodLegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by White Mamba
    Rookie LeBron.

all the lebron stans trying to make sense of this

Quote Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
    Rookie LeBron.
    Rookie? its 2006. 3rd year.

My point is Kobe won't cry guard anybody.

melo has a better chance at a longer career than lebron at this point unless lebron learns to shoot a jumper consistently

College superstar

No big deal here. It's the same thing as when I heard Drexler say that Ralondo Blackmon was the toughest player for him to guard. This is not about who's the best player. It's about who is the toughest matchup. Just like in the playoffs, team X may be clearly better than team Y, but team Y, considering how they are constructed, may be a tougher matchup.