Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: want hops

Default Re: want hops

Quote Originally Posted by OlDeRaDo_64
    Im 13 and doin 250 calf stretches a day, is that safe cos i realy wanna grow.. when im 14 ill do 500 and when im 15 ill do 1000, i realy hope it doesnt co ive been doin it for like ages now

thats actually really bad for you. you probably already stopped growing. u shouldnt be doing any exercises until your at least 18. i would go to your doctor immediatly.

I usually hit open layups

sheesh! please don't talk nonsense.
    olderado, you won't stop growing because of calf stretches.
    Let's get clear about this issue once and for all.
    "problems with growth" doesn't mean "you'll stop growing"
    Trainings so hard to stop your growth are great weight lifting exercises.. not some calf raises..
    This doesn't mean that you didn't make a mistake, olderado: the fact is this (again):
    connetive tissue (ligaments, and tendons) are slower to reach the complete development than muscles. Moreover, they are far less reactive to training than muscles are. You have to imagine your muscle like an engine attached to two springs. If you train, the muscle will react, and try to increase its properties, that's to say, its strenght. It will become fast a bigger and stronger engine. Unfortunately, tendons and ligaments don't react so quickly, and they spend a longer time to develope. In a developed body (19 yrs and over, at least), ligs. and tends. are strong enough to stand the strenghtening of the muscle. During the big growth phase, when they are already stressed by the lenghtening of the bones, they are not able to stand a great increase of strenght for the muscles. The consequences are injuries like tendinitis, ligaments weakening that could result in a major injury in the future (breaking of the ACL, i.e., is a classic)..
    This is why you don't have to exaggerate with strenght increasing. That doesn't mean you have to stop training your strenght. Simply, remember that in your body there are "silently" weak parts, that you cannot force to train.

double post

Saw a basketball once

Dear Lilspyda,

I'm glad that you seem to have come to a truce with Nexus, because it was kind of getting annoying. (Now I'm not one to hate but if any of you guys take offence to this I apologize) As an 11 year old don't you think it was a wise idea to listen to Nexus after all? I'm not saying your stupid or dumb, I'm just saying that instead of having the tiffle in the first place you could've just tried what Nexus said and maybe have saved some of the flaming done around here. I know you would be sick of my little rant so I will conclude with this: Good Job on finally listening Lilspyda You proved your not totally immature at all. ;P.

Dear Nexus and other ballers to whom it may concern,

I am 14 years old turning 15 in 4 months and I was wondering if I should do one of these programs, like the one Lilspyda is currently doing or should I just do the few less-strenuous exercises that I have read that will help develop my leg muscles? The exercises in mind are:

[QUOTE=The Phenom]
    I am 14 years old turning 15 in 4 months and I was wondering if I should do one of these programs, like the one Lilspyda is currently doing or should I just do the few less-strenuous exercises that I have read that will help develop my leg muscles? The exercises in mind are:

NBA rookie of the year

touching net is easy. any ~5'6" to 5'7" with average hops can touch net.

My advice is dont use a stupid program. With all the time people look on the internet and search for a program, they could be doing basic leg training and working on their jump. You dont need a stupid program to get hops, just work on it. If you want ideas, just gimme a shout and i'll give you basic training exercises. Dont spend your money on stupid air alert and other programs. Its not worth the money.

Saw a basketball once

I don't know about you but the program that I've had the best experience with
    is aware jump. It's at www.aware-jump.com
    I'm tired of all that crap out there on improving your vertical game. All these co called "mentors" are just trying to get most of our hard earned money. some programs are costing over $200. We are young and not all of us have that much money. If you are looking for a cheap program that is really effective, look no further and check out aware jump. It will really help you improve you game on a lot of levels.

Decent playground baller Chocogrease's Avatar

dis is off topic, but does ur genes with ur parents matter if u gonna grow tall? like my mom is 5'4 and my dad is 5'9 and my parents say ill grow just a lil bit taller than my dad

High School Starter otmtheshank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chocogrease
    dis is off topic, but does ur genes with ur parents matter if u gonna grow tall? like my mom is 5'4 and my dad is 5'9 and my parents say ill grow just a lil bit taller than my dad
    Your mom and dad are both around average height for their gender, so you'll probably grow to around the same height as your dad. However, my mom and dad are 5'8, and 5'7, and I am already 6'1, so it varies from person to person, so you might be able to reach 6 feet or taller.

Decent playground baller Chocogrease's Avatar

alright thx

Saw a basketball once

well my story is better than all yalls, because i have everything but ups. I am only 15 and im 6'2 and can only tip rim with a finger while my other jv teammates are grabbing rim when they are only 5'11. so i was seriously thinking about buying STRENTH SHOES. and i have been lifting weights for about 3 months now. But i wanna dunk by the time i am 16. So any help would be appreciated@!@

Quote Originally Posted by cantrelle00
    well my story is better than all yalls, because i have everything but ups. I am only 15 and im 6'2 and can only tip rim with a finger while my other jv teammates are grabbing rim when they are only 5'11. so i was seriously thinking about buying STRENTH SHOES. and i have been lifting weights for about 3 months now. But i wanna dunk by the time i am 16. So any help would be appreciated@!@

briefly, because you should learn to check the freaking amount of messages all about the same topic in this forum:

a) liftinq weight at yur age is dangerous. It's too early, and you could risk serious or minor injuries
    b) dunking is not a duty. When judgin' an athlete, you often refer to the quality of his "feet".. that means that regardless of his muscular mass, his athletic talent depends on how reactive his feet are. By reactive I refer to a bunch of neuromuscular qualities and abilities that are hardly trainable.
    So, if you have slow feet (and I guess you have) either you grow much more than this or you won't dunk. And who cares.
    If you wanna dunk only because you wanna dunk, that's stupid.
    If you wanna dunk because you think you'd be a better player, you should increase other sides of your play, in particular, at your age it's CRITICAL that you devote the greatest part of your trainin time to coordination, technique, and generally all those abilities that make you play well, not play strong.
    Learn the play really well. Then, in a few years, adding muscular mass could have a meaning. Right now, it's a waste and a danger.

High School Starter otmtheshank's Avatar

There's nothing wrong with weightlifting at 15-16. You're probably at or quickly approaching your full height. However, still only weightlift/train with those shoes if you're happy with your current height.

Quote Originally Posted by otmtheshank
    There's nothing wrong with weightlifting at 15-16. You're probably at or quickly approaching your full height. However, still only weightlift/train with those shoes if you're happy with your current height.

But what the hell, do you know what you're talkin about?

A) there's nothing wrong with weightlifting at 15-16: Yes, there's a lot wrong. It's dangerous for de muscular, scheletrical and connettive tissue.

B) You're probably at or quickly approaching your full height: No. There's an enormous amount of variables, but growth isn't over until 22.

Please, when you try to be helpful about things that regard also health, be sure you know something about it, instead of giving your fallen-from-the-sky opinion.