Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    Saw a basketball once

Default Re: Team building game 2013. Now with coaches and a prize that isnt worth your time.

This time, Group 1.

Coach: Frank Vogel (6) - Since taking over the Pacers from Jim O'Brien in 2011, his teams have clinched a playoff berth in three straight seasons. His teams are great defensively, and have improved on offense.

Starters:
    PG: Stephen Curry (4) - Great 3pt. shooter. Can create for himself or others. Can play off-ball. Excellent free-throw shooter.

SG: Raja Bell (Suns) (5) - Great catch-and-shoot 3pt. shooter. Great perimeter defender. Very good free-throw shooter.

SF: Paul George (4) - Very good 3pt. shooter. Can create for himself or others. Can play off-ball. Great perimeter defender. Very good free-throw shooter.

PF: Tim Duncan (prime) (1) - Franchise cornerstone. Great post game. Good passer. Good mid-range jumper. Excellent all-around defender for a big. Great rebounder. Okay free-throw shooter.

C: Mehmet Okur (Prime Jazz) (5) - Great 3pt. shooter for a big. Great free-throw shooter. Okay at everything else.

Bench:
    PG: Jason Terry (Mavs) (5) - Great 3pt. shooter. Can create for himself or others. Can play off-ball. Great free-throw shooter.

SG: Michael Redd (5) - Very good scorer. Very good 3pt. shooter. Great free-throw shooter.

SF: Bruce Bowen (6) - Tenacious perimeter defender. Great at corner 3pt. shots.

PF: Serge Ibaka (6) - Great all-around big-man defender. Excellent shot blocker. Very good mid-range shot. Shoots the spot-up 3 on occasion. Good rebounder. Okay free-throw shooter. Athletic.

C: Andrew Bynum (2010-2012 healthy) (4) - Great post game. Great all-around defender for a big. Great rebounder. Okay free-throw shooter. Injury-prone.

SF/PF: Steve Novak (7) - Great 3pt. shooter. Great free-throw shooter.

PF/C: Larry Sanders (7) - Great all-around big-man defender. Excellent shot blocker. Great rebounder. Poor free-throw shooter.

Offense will be PG pick and roll/pop with the bigs and post-ups for Duncan and Bynum. Duncan can run some things from the pinch post. Curry, George, Terry, and Redd can create their own shot if needed.
    Last edited by J.Pullicin; 04-07-2013 at 12:04 PM.

Default Re: Team building game 2013. Now with coaches and a prize that isnt worth your time.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
    This is why I don't get why I've seen people pairing Roy with Miller.

This is what happened in actuality. So I don't get why anyone would deliberately put them together knowing this.

I assume it's a combination of 3 things:

1. A lot of people like having pure points who can run an offense effectively, which has always been Andre Millers strong suit, and without looking at the list I'd imagine that Miller would be one of the best "value picks" for that type of player.

2. People like to pick the most talented players available (and most people associate talent with what you can do with the ball) and just assume chemistry will work.

3. A lot of people might have forgotten that Miller and Roy had issues playing together (I almost did and was going to pick Miller until I thought about it).

Speaking of that, that was actually one of the issues I had with picking Roy. He's always liked having the ball in his hands, but I built this team to run more thru Hakeem and to be more of a ball movement offense, which Roy might have issues with, but I offset that by getting as many players who could effect the game without the ball with there shooting/defense/rebounding/toughness so that Roy would do most of the perimeter play making (iso/pn'r) and Hakeem would do the post/interior play making.

I've always respected your opinion and would appreciate a quick analysis from you on my team. Same with you Kblaze. I don't expect to win, i just picked a team that I thought would work well together.
    Last edited by Rizko; 04-07-2013 at 12:40 PM.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I like the Duncan/curry team above. Managed a team with 5-6 all stars with a tier 1.

Bored, just going to go again:

Group 2: Chris Paul & Paul Pierce
    Group 3: Elton Brand
    Group 4: Andrei Kirilenko, Stephen Curry, Marcus Camby
    Group 5: Mike Dunleavy, Andre Miller, Theo Ratliff
    Group 6: Cuttino Mobley, Taj Gibson
    Group 7: Steve Novak, Craig Smith

Mike Dunleavy led:
    Starters: Chris Paul (SG) - Stephen Curry (PG) - Paul Pierce (SG) - Elton Brand (CE) - Marcus Camby

Bench:
    6th Man: Andrei Kirilenko (SF/PF/CE)
    7th: Andre Miller (PG/SG)
    8th: Cuttino Mobley (SG/PG/SF)
    9th: Taj Gibson (PF/CE)
    10th: Theo Ratliff (CE)
    11th: Craig Smith (PF/SF)
    12th: Steve Novak (SF/PF)

Versatility and chemistry are the keys here. Starters have Inside/Outside offense along with one of the best points of all time and the Truth. Camby is the garbage guy on offense who gets all of the weakside blocks.

Bench is full of guys who have come off the bench and would cause no chemistry issues as well. Good D with AK, Cat, Theo & Dre. Long range threats in Sure Shot Steve and Cat. Inside scoring with Craig Rhino Smith. Just balanced as well

Quote Originally Posted by qrich
    Bored, just going to go again:

Group 2: Chris Paul & Paul Pierce
    Group 3: Elton Brand
    Group 4: Andrei Kirilenko, Stephen Curry, Marcus Camby
    Group 5: Mike Dunleavy, Andre Miller, Theo Ratliff
    Group 6: Cuttino Mobley, Taj Gibson
    Group 7: Steve Novak, Craig Smith

Mike Dunleavy led:
    Starters: Chris Paul (SG) - Stephen Curry (PG) - Paul Pierce (SG) - Elton Brand (CE) - Marcus Camby

Bench:

Versatility and chemistry are the keys here. Starters have Inside/Outside offense along with one of the best points of all time and the Truth. Camby is the garbage guy on offense who gets all of the weakside blocks.

Bench is full of guys who have come off the bench and would cause no chemistry issues as well. Good D with AK, Cat, Theo & Dre. Long range threats in Sure Shot Steve and Cat. Inside scoring with Craig Rhino Smith. Just balanced as well
    great team, except that center is denoted by C, not CE

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    great team, except that center is denoted by C, not CE
    Yeah, I know. Just an OCD of mine with the other positions having two letters to note them by and center only one

Yeah, I know. Just an OCD of mine with the other positions having two letters to note them by and center only one
    Then, just think that if you write CE you will have only one position noted by a letter which is not an initial of the word. That's ugly, no?

Did one with the other option..

Group 1: Shaq
    Group 4: Noah, Peja, Coach Thibs
    Group 5: Andre Miller, Nick Anderson, JR Smith, Okur
    Group 6: Kirk Hinrich, Shane Battier, Ibaka
    Group 7: Steve Novak, Ramon Sessions

Coach Thibs

PG: Andre Miller/Kirk Hinrich/Sessions

Andre would start, but Kirk would play just as much - and the team would definitely go with a hot handed Kirk over Miller on any given night. Both provide a calmness on the court, and neither cares about their stats - would force feed Shaq.

SG: Nick Anderson/JR Smith/Kirk Hinrich

Nick Anderson provides as a solid starting 2 guard. JR Smith as a deadly scoring weapon off the bench - just another guy to help spread the floor for the big guy. Kirk Hinrich provides combo guard ability to play the 2 if needed.

SF: Peja Stojakovic/Shane Battier/Novak

Peja is a nice fit alongside Shaq, and is probably the one who gains the most from having Shaq inside. Great player to have spread the floor. Shane Battier provides the defense mentality off the bench, but can still help spread the floor. Novak is just a value pick, and another shooter to help spread the floor if needed.

PF: Noah/Ibaka/Okur/Battier/Novak

Noah is a must have after I picked Coach Thibs. Great size for the PF and is a great perimeter defender. Would gobble rebounds, could start a break by himself, and is a GREAT passer. Ibaka provides more size/length/defense off the bench. Okur is another big who can stretch the floor. Battier and Novak just provide more depth/versatility at the 4.

C: Shaq/Okur

I don't really need to justify Shaq lol, but the dominate inside presence that the team is built around. Nobody would get in his way inside, he'd have the paint to himself on offense - and would have guys all over the place to make the defense pay for bringing doubles. Okur provides great depth as well.

College star

Doing one with tier 1:

Coach: Charles Barkley (7)
    C: Tyson Chandler (5), Joakim Noah (4), Brad Miller (6)
    PF: Anthony Mason (4), Boris Diaw (6)
    SF: Ron Artest (4), Hedo Turkoglu (5)
    SG: Michael Jordan (1), Michael Redd (5), Anthony Parker (7)
    PG: Mookie Blaylock (5), Avery Johnson (6)

Defense:
    This team has incredibly toughness and defense in its starting 5. All 5 made an All-D team in their prime. Everyone from SG and up are tremendous rebounders.
    Mookie will hound the opposing teams PG full-court, knowing he has MJ and Artest to play the passing lanes, Mason to deliver hard fouls if necessary and Chandler down low. Swingmen will not see the light with MJ and Artest shutting them down. There also is Joakim Noah off the bench.
    Offense:
    Michael Jordan, the best scorer of the modern era. Chandler, Mason and Artest to feed off him. Off the bench there is Redd, a 25+ scorers in his prime and Hedo, a point forward that can also hit the outside shot. If you wanna play a more fluent, passing-motion offense, this team can bring in Diaw and/or Miller.
    While this team is not strong at the PG position, both Mookie and especially AJ are great playmakers and will fit fine next to MJ. Clearly this is a half-court set-offense team.
    Coaching:
    This team does not have a coach; Barkley is little more than a mascot, albeit respected by his peers. However, Avery Johnson and Michael Jordan will both act as player-coaches during games. Especially the starting 5 is savvy and has high BBall IQ to absorb the lack of a coach.

Even supposed that talent does not favor my team, it certainly has the toughness, BBall IQ and leadership to go toe-to-toe with any team. Also, it has Michael Jordan.
    Last edited by Brunch@Five; 04-08-2013 at 08:35 AM.

Very good NBA starter wally_world's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
    Doing one with tier 1:

Coach: Charles Barkley (7)
    C: Tyson Chandler (5), Joakim Noah (4), Brad Miller (6)
    PF: Anthony Mason (4), Boris Diaw (6)
    SF: Ron Artest (4), Hedo Turkoglu (5)
    SG: Michael Jordan (1), Michael Redd (5), Anthony Parker (7)
    PG: Mookie Blaylock (5), Avery Johnson (6)

Defense:
    This team has incredibly toughness and defense in its starting 5. All 5 made an All-D team in their prime. Everyone from SG and up are tremendous rebounders.
    Mookie will hound the opposing teams PG full-court, knowing he has MJ and Artest to play the passing lanes, Mason to deliver hard fouls if necessary and Chandler down low. Swingmen will not see the light with MJ and Artest shutting them down. There also is Joakim Noah off the bench.
    Offense:
    Michael Jordan, the best scorer of the modern era. Chandler, Mason and Artest to feed off him. Off the bench there is Jefferson and Redd, a 25+ scorers in his prime and Hedo, a point forward that can also hit the outside shot. If you wanna play a more fluent, passing-motion offense, this team can bring in Diaw and/or Miller.
    While this team is not strong at the PG position, both Mookie and especially AJ are great playmakers and will fit fine next to MJ. Clearly this is a half-court set-offense team.
    Coaching:
    This team does not have a coach; Barkley is little more than a mascot, albeit respected by his peers. However, Avery Johnson and Michael Jordan will both act as player-coaches during games. Especially the starting 5 is savvy and has high BBall IQ to absorb the lack of a coach.

Even supposed that talent does not favor my team, it certainly has the toughness, BBall IQ and leadership to go toe-to-toe with any team. Also, it has Michael Jordan.
    Sick team (if coaches didnt matter alot). I'd actually let Avery coach the team and have Chuck be my backup PF

College star

Quote Originally Posted by wally_world
    Sick team (if coaches didnt matter alot). I'd actually let Avery coach the team and have Chuck be my backup PF
    thanks. Avery would certainly be the better coach. Good thing I don't even rely on him to play at all. Mason, Hedo and MJ can easily take over ball-handling duties whenever Mookie if off the floor. Especially with a team playing the triangle or a motion offense. In any case you can just give MJ the ball

Learning to shoot layups AndOn3's Avatar

Kblaze, can you take a look at my earlier team? it's on page six and it's a team based off option one

College star

despite little feedback, decided to do another one

Coach: Greg Popovich

C: Vlade Divac (4), Tyson Chandler (5)
    PF: Rasheed Wallace (3), Robert Horry (5), Larry Sanders (7)
    SF: Detlef Schrempf (4), Shane Battier (6)
    SG: Drazen Petrovic (4), Dell Curry (6), Anthony Parker (7)
    PG: Jason Kidd (2), Mookie Blaylock (5)

This team's x-factor obviously is Rasheed Wallace. But if there is one coach that can get prime Sheed under control, it's Greg Popovich together with a great leader like Jason Kidd. Vlade, Det and Drazen provide that calm European competitiveness that prevents that team from being infected by Sheeds antics.
    This team has tremendous BBall IQ to go along with Pops coaching. Although primarily a running team with Kidd at the helm, this team can run Pops compley sets in a half-court offense to perfection.

Going to go and try option 1 now with no feedback on either of my first two sides:

Group 1: Shaq
    Group 4: Brandon Roy, Andrei Kirilenko, David West
    Group 5: Mike Dunleavy, Maurice Williams, Andre Miller, Jamal Crawford
    Group 6: Taj Gibson, Tim Thomas, Marcin Gortat
    Group 7: Leon Powe, Mo Peterson

Mike Dunleavy:
    PG: Maurice Williams | Andre Miller
    SG: Brandon Roy | Jamal Crawford | Mo Peterson
    SF: Andrei Kirilenko | Tim Thomas
    PF: David West | Taj Gibson | Leon Powe
    CE: Shaquille O'Neal | Marcins Gortat

Most dominant ever with three guys to spread the floor in the starting unit and two other good defenders.

College star

Mike Dunleavy led:

Bench:

I like that team a lot, on offense that is. They will be hard to stop there. Defensively it's above average at best IMO. Neither Camby nor Brand are defensive anchors players like Pierce and Paul need to really be effective on D as well. The bench offers little versatility except for AK47, no one else to really take off the load from the starters. No one you'd really want to play heavy minutes instead of your starters in a given scenario.

This looks more like a regular season team to me, though I might be nitpicking.