Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Recruiting for next season

any of you guys know what happened to mitch mcgary? espn and yahoo both have him outside their top 20s right now, only like 6 months ago he was top 5. did he get hurt or something? why the big slide in rank?

Celtics/Red Sox/Eagles UConnCeltics's Avatar

Because he is white, duh.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    any of you guys know what happened to mitch mcgary? espn and yahoo both have him outside their top 20s right now, only like 6 months ago he was top 5. did he get hurt or something? why the big slide in rank?
    He got absolutely stomped on by another top recruit. It was Noel if I remember right.

He rose up the rankings too fast. He went from out of the top 100 to in the top 5 like nothing. Like I said before, scouts have a major problem with jumping on (or jumping off) a player's bandwagon and they snowball the hell out of their ranking. McGary was never a top 5 player; just like most of the players who were top 10 early in the rankings that drop to 70+ at some point are better than 80.

Look at Kuran Iverson. He goes from around the top of the class, to falling to the bottom of the top 100, and now he's going to end up in the Mc'D area. They too quickly dropped him. I bet you JP Tokoto ends up better than the 70th best in his class.
    Last edited by IGotACoolStory; 08-31-2012 at 04:05 PM.

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

Tokoto is forrealz. i saw the Wisconsin Playground Warriors at my Vegas tournament.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

He was nowhere near that good in the first place. He got out of podunk Chesterton and scouts saw him for the first time and got hard over it. Then he went through another summer against top guys and realized he''s a guy that should be in the 50s, Derek Willis style, just not as severe a drop because of his size.
    Last edited by InspiredLebowski; 08-31-2012 at 11:23 PM.

NBA rookie of the year IlliniFan's Avatar

If we can get Demetrius Jackson out of Indiana and away from Kansas I will love John Groce forever. Illinois hasn't had a player like him in a loooong time.

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniFan
    If we can get Demetrius Jackson out of Indiana and away from Kansas I will love John Groce forever. Illinois hasn't had a player like him in a loooong time.
    We won't even need Jackson if we sign Cat Barber.

he got wrecked in one of the camps by a number of big man prospects, which leads many scouts (and myself included) that he hasn't really improved that much since last year

Quote Originally Posted by SourPatchKids
    Tokoto is forrealz. i saw the Wisconsin Playground Warriors at my Vegas tournament.
    nba athleticism, sure.

he needs to get stronger. he needs to work on his jumper. and he definitely needs to work on his ballhandling. otherwise he's just derozan 2.0

Quote Originally Posted by Goliath Uterus
    We won't even need Jackson if we sign Cat Barber.
    Barber to NC State. I'd love for Kansas to strike out with both Barber and Jackson. Hopefully Jackson commits to Illinois and Kansas is left out in the cold.

Did you hear the rumors about Barber?

He goes to visit Louisville (very much in his recruitment at the time) about a week back. Thing are fine and then he gets caught stealing a girl's cell phone and/or about $1500 worth of crap from the players.

Pitino then informed Self and Grant (KU and Bama also near the top of his list) and they dropped their offers.

Apparently State was his only option left. Because Gottfried doesn't care about that kind of stuff? I mean Purvis still isn't illegible. To be fair, Purvis graduated top of his class. Of course, he was the only graduating student in his class...

It also makes sense about Barber. He gave no implication that he would be deciding this soon. At the very least, he would take his visits. I heard a lot of rumors about him and Troy Williams pairing up at Bama. Then suddenly he commits on the spot to NC State? And this is a top 10 kid too... Something happened.

I don't know about any of that, haven't been following his recruitment.

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Barber's sanctions waiting to happen. But that's nothing new for NC State. Jackson's going to end up at Illinois, just may take a minute. Good for them I guess, just hope it doesn't influence Bates-Diop. But it will.

Told you Groce was a good hire.

Anyone heard of Lewis Sullivan?