View Single Post
Old 06-19-2007, 05:56 PM   #36
Mathius
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: why there are no good big man now

Quote:
Originally Posted by brantonli
Yes. Yao Ming, Amare Stoudemire, Carlos Boozer, Shaquille O'Neal, Dwight Howard, Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, all of them still own the paint.

O'Neal? Hardly. If he ever got healthy.

But none of those players you listed dominated in the same way as say.. Patrick Ewing, David Robinson, Hakeem, Kareem, Younger Shaq, etc. etc.

And what happened to just solid defensive guys inside like Charles Oakley, X-man, Otis Thorpe, Horace Grant, etc.?

The big man today has become a running game type player, and there's really only one true running team in the league, the Suns, and at least to me, they've solidified the fact that a running game won't win you a championship, half court basketball does.

I think Scouts, GM's, analysts, fans, have put a lot more stock into have a more "skilled" and "athletic" big man, and in the process, they've lost the phyisical big man of the 90's.

I have a theory that the declining number of great big men coincides with the popularity of the league slipping.

All of these factors point to more popularity in the old physical NBA of the 90's.

Mathius
Mathius is offline   Reply With Quote