Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: You can't top Vince carter

Quote Originally Posted by #number6ix#

Actually I'm 25 and I did see it live. I'm speaking on the dunks he performed more so than how hype the crowd was.
    Name an NBA player that could make those dunks, look like THIS.

[FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="DarkRed"]ON THEIR FIRST TRY.[/COLOR][/FONT]
    Last edited by tikay0; 02-17-2013 at 04:14 AM.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Kenny sky Walker had some sick dunks that were comparable to Vince Carter's... I'm not trying to shit on Vince or anything like that but just cuz the crowd was hyped doesn't mean his dunks was the greatest ever

National High School Star sick_brah07's Avatar

For me personally you can't top vinces, something about the attitude, cockiness, power, grace, body control and showmanship was amazing to watch .... The fact the whole nba was like "oh my ****ing god" was amazing and the fact I have never seen anybody do better looking windmills and throw the leg dunks

With Jason richardson it was a little different something about his flair wasn't quite there. I still think he had the highest degree of difficulty of dunks in all contests although it was something about his showmanship that wasnt quite there just something that didn't seem as great as Vince carter I dunno if it was the crowd or the expectations or his body control or lack of cockiness I just dunno it didn't feel the same.

A lot of people forget about josh smith in 05 that contest aside from Birdman was great.... The Wilkins jersey before everyone started with the bullshit props, not missing a thousand dunks, cockiness , power, originality josh smith was great and with out a doubt the worth winner, although Steve Nash almost stole the show with soccer skills

National High School Star sick_brah07's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tikay0
    Name an NBA player that could make those dunks, look like THIS.

[FONT="Arial Black"][COLOR="DarkRed"]ON THEIR FIRST TRY.[/COLOR][/FONT]
    That's the thing Vince made it look like it was just a shoot around practice

Jason Richardson reverse between the leg dunk off the bounce was better than anything Vince did Jason Richardson off the backboard between the leg dunk was better than anything Vince did. Javale McGee dunk on the two baskets had never been done by anyone javale McGee dunking 3 balls had never been done

Local High School Star nashwade's Avatar

he missed the between-the-legs on the first try

power sums it up

High School Starter

VC = 1 dunk contest

JRich = 3 dunk contests.

So basically...VC > jrich. It took jrich 3 dunk contests and VC as a precedent to do what he did..also VC is just a better dunker than jrich better form and vertical.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by #number6ix#
    Jason Richardson reverse between the leg dunk off the bounce was better than anything Vince did Jason Richardson off the backboard between the leg dunk was better than anything Vince did. Javale McGee dunk on the two baskets had never been done by anyone javale McGee dunking 3 balls had never been done
    I believe you're leaving many pieces out of the equation. Dunking (dunking in a dunk contest in particular) is not just about which dunk you technically make. For instance, I make one handed dunks all the time, but that doesn't mean they're as great as any of LeBron James' one hand jams. Basically, it's just as much about how a player dunks as it is what dunk he's technically performing.

In Vince Carter's case, he wasn't just introducing new ways of dunking to the general public, he was doing so with absolute peerless style and grace. Further, as mentioned, every piece of shock value was maximized because he made each of his slams on his first attempt. The entirety of a performance can play a very important role in a dunking legacy.

I think Carter had the best of both worlds: some incredible dunks we'd never seen before performed with that aforementioned peerless style grace and ability (cuff windmill clockwise 360, elbow, going between the legs while having the ball passed in midair by teammate) and a 99.9% intent and success rate (one small nick for stepping over the free throw line).

Regarding the dunks mentioned, in comparison to Carter's slams, I do not believe Richardson's bounce between-the-legs dunk is better than anything Carter's done. Watching that Richardson dunk live was great and I still enjoy it. I was very excited and I thought it was awesome to see and whatnot, but I thought the style was a little jacked up. I mean, it's still one of my favorites, but I found that dunk to be an example of a great technical dunk that was lacking a little in the aesthetic appeal. His limbs were kind of all over the place and the ball went down a little weird (with a funky rim grab to boot). To compare to Richardson's own body of work, the between the legs reverse may have been a technically more difficult dunk, but I think his bounce reverse winner the year before ('02) had much, much more style, power and grace.

I think the backboard between-the-legs can be in the discussion as the best dunk in dunk contest history. I wouldn't flat out say it's better than anything Carter did (I believe Carter's first jam is close to perfect) but I agree there's a chance Richardson's counter could be up there. The reason Carter's performance ends up being more memorable though, again, his contest was a perfect performance. He didn't, for example, attempt the elbow dunk and fail eight times, removing every single piece of suspense.

Regarding McGee, I liked his dunk contest dunks, but his performance struggled a little bit. Once again, anyone who spends half the contest failing their dunk attempts is going to really struggle to make their way into dunk contest folklore. On top of that, it's still not just about doing something that technically hasn't been done before, it's how you do it. Jeremy Evans dunked while wearing a head camera last year. No one's ever done that, but it didn't make the dunk any less lame (extreme example). McGee did a fine job, but doing something that hasn't been done doesn't automatically qualify a player for a legendary performance. It's just one piece of the pie.

Richardson's my second favorite dunk contest performer over the last 15 years. It sounds like I was knocking on him earlier but I want to be clear that I loved everything he brought to the contest. I was just trying to illustrate why Carter's efforts tend to be remembered on a slightly different plane. He entered the contest one time, with a very large amount of hype, and he turned in a contest that was about as perfect as we'd ever seen. Every single dunk was new, they had impeccable style and he made them all on his first attempt. The only dunk that was kind of a copy? His second dunk, where he more or less copied himself on a dunk he revealed to the world just moments earlier, but added the twist of beginning behind the hoop with a very small run-up.
    Last edited by Rake2204; 02-17-2013 at 11:01 AM.

2012 I rep flatulence Cowboy Thunder's Avatar

Talking Re: You can't top Vince carter

goat

people need to shut up about being VC' 2000 dunk contest performance being overrated.

guess what? he did all those dunks with no retry. DIDNT MISS ONCE. You only were allowed ONE replacement dunk in each round. Knowing that he tried a lot of difficult dunks and not only nailed them he damn near tore the rim off.

if VC had done those dunks in last nights dunk contest he still would have won. The only contest he might not have had some competition is 2004.

VC was an originator. Of course there are more creative dunks now, but he did these dunks 13 years ago. Dunks like his were never done before (save the last one, and the elbow dunk, but nobody knew that Kobe did it first at the time, there was no YouTube) I guess many of the posters here dont remember because they werent born or were like 3 years old

VC is the GOAT dunker.

/thread
    Last edited by Burgz V2; 02-17-2013 at 11:40 AM.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Noyze
    I was watching it live with a few of my friends from high school and the main thing I remember was it took 15 mins for them to do get to the next guy after Vince's first dunk. Cause the crowd and celebs were going crazy, people were running on the court.
    Hah, yeah... Jerry Stackhouse was that next guy. Such a bad set of circumstances for him that night, having to follow up VC then performing some of the lamest dunks of the competition to top it off. He did a great job of silencing the crowd. I remember a low rising 360 and another where he got a huge run up and had everyone thinking he was going to take off from the free throw line, then ended up jumping from like, 12 feet away for a normal dunk.

Favorite player of all time.

I don't think there will ever be a player like Vince again unless Terrence Ross suddenly inherits all his skills. Just so smooth & graceful, from his jumpshot to his layups & dunks.

Finish your career in NY Vince! Next season we could be the Nets that never where: Kidd, Martin, Carter.

Quote Originally Posted by iDunk
    Favorite player of all time.

I don't think there will ever be a player like Vince again unless Terrence Ross suddenly inherits all his skills. Just so smooth & graceful, from his jumpshot to his layups & dunks.

Finish your career in NY Vince! Next season we could be the Nets that never where: Kidd, Martin, Carter.
    I want him in Miami so he can get a ring..... if not miami that would be sick

Quote Originally Posted by iDunk
    They need to add Richard Jefferson too.