Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    College star

Default Re: This is the 332nd consecutive month with an above-average temperature.

I don't have much time right now, so I'll respond to a few points:

That "other than" part is the key to me.

When we have enough for everyone...and wont give it to the people who arent born in the right country and look the right way....how are we looking at preventing climate change for the solution?
    That's a legitimate criticism, but it shows here that we think on different scales. My point was that climate change hurts the developing countries' OWN capabilities to cope with their problems, and makes them even more dependent on foreign aid. That is not what development politics want.
    Direct food and clothing aid is actually hurting those societies, as they are destroying the market. Things like these help in form of short-term humanitarian aid, but they do not help alleviate suffering long-term, as change has to come from within those societies.
    And when we have man-made climate-change, disproportionally caused by the western world (per capita, China isn't even in the top 10 I believe), that hurts the less developed world's livelihoods and makes it virtually impossible for them to provide for their people, long-term, it becomes a moral responsibility for us to limit climate change.
    Thankfully, science has enabled us to see beyond phenomena like hunger and diseases and tackle them at their roots. Donating food and clothes is nice, but not really helping. That's what the "Sustainable Development" paradigm is about. Man-made climate-change is severely hurting that case.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Default Re: This is the 332nd consecutive month with an above-average temperature.

It almost seems like you believe third world poverty is a recent issue. Many of the same places that need help now have been struggling to take care of their people for as long as we have history to check.

Kings of Mali were among the richest rulers in world history and had the resources and land to wipe out poverty. Instead they set up caravans of silk covered slaves and camels carrying hugs sacks of gold and gems and spent so much they flooded the market and destroyed the economy of entire neighboring Kingdoms.

The haves take from the have nots. Poor people work to create goods they can't afford themselves and someone a world away takes it for granted.

The same kind of people have suffered forever. If preventing climate change were the key places like Africa and rural areas of Asia and other places wouldn't have been struggling before humans had the ability to cause trouble.

Is that not reasonable?

College star

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    It almost seems like you believe third world poverty is a recent issue. Many of the same places that need help now have been struggling to take care of their people for as long as we have history to check.

Kings of Mali were among the richest rulers in world history and had the resources and land to wipe out poverty. Instead they set up caravans of silk covered slaves and camels carrying hugs sacks of gold and gems and spent so much they flooded the market and destroyed the economy of entire neighboring Kingdoms.

The haves take from the have nots. Poor people work to create goods they can't afford themselves and someone a world away takes it for granted.

The same kind of people have suffered forever. If preventing climate change were the key places like Africa and rural areas of Asia and other places wouldn't have been struggling before humans had the ability to cause trouble.

Is that not reasonable?
    You are of course right that limiting climate change won't feed and shelter or fairly distribute anything to anyone. It won't solve those problems.
    However, and that's my (and the development researchers) point is that cliamte change will hit those who are most disadvantaged the strongest and make it virtually impossible to ever get out of their hole.
    For meteorological and geological reasons, the regions around the equator and the tropics (low latitudes) face the most severe hazards due to climate change. They also have, due to underdevelopment, less capabilities to cope with these hazards.

The fact that climate change only adds to several structural disadvantages of less developed countries doesn't make it less important to combat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brunch@Five
    You are of course right that limiting climate change won't feed and shelter or fairly distribute anything to anyone. It won't solve those problems.
    However, and that's my (and the development researchers) point is that cliamte change will hit those who are most disadvantaged the strongest and make it virtually impossible to ever get out of their hole.
    For meteorological and geological reasons, the regions around the equator and the tropics (low latitudes) face the most severe hazards due to climate change. They also have, due to underdevelopment, less capabilities to cope with these hazards.

The fact that climate change only adds to several structural disadvantages of less developed countries doesn't make it less important to combat it.

just feels odd to me to blame something that the problem predates by thousands of years. This is gonna make their recovery impossible....this. Not thethings that have kept them down forever. Its global warming they need to worry about?

Its on the list i suppose. number 1? Eh....

I was reading an article on Al Gores terribly missed predictions on the ice caps by 2013 and was reminded of this.

Those photoshopped pictures of an iceless world with hurricanes everywhere?

Alarmists hurt their own cause more than they know.

Lol Al Gore didn't predict anything. He put forth the highest end of some confidence interval a researcher developed; i.e. likely a model developed with the best data available at the time.

NBA Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DeuceWallaces
    Lol Al Gore didn't predict anything. He put forth the highest end of some confidence interval a researcher developed; i.e. likely a model developed with the best data available at the time.

That's not how Mr. Gore worded it.

He said "THE ICE CAPS ARE ALL GONNA BE GONE BY 2013!!!!!"

That's a prediction.

But obviously the climate fairies won't acknowledge that Gore BS'd, because they think that's equivalent to conceding climate change isn't real or something.

That's the prob in this country. Nobody is willing to be honest when the other side makes a valid point or when they screw up themselves, because they think it will nullify their entire cause.

Sad..
    Last edited by Akrazotile; 02-26-2014 at 02:26 PM.