Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Kobe's 81-point game is SEVERELY underrated

Quote Originally Posted by Kobr
    14 points on 6 turnovers and 5 for 22 shooting (22.7%) from the field

I wasn't saying anything bad about LeBron or Odom. I mentioned their turnovers to illustrate how impressive Kobe's 3 were in comparison to his scoring. That's all.
    Yeah, what a ****in' coincidence you used LeBron James as an example. Don't take us for fools like yourself, OP.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    Stop making up stats ******
    Says the guy who rigged Whatifsports.com results in order to make LeBron look good..

For those of you that missed the game, here is an edited video of the 81, shot by shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RxKoi__4Sg

Kobe was getting his signals by this hottie

Not really (just wanted to post this gif)

People like to try to minimize such an amazing game by Kobe by claiming the Raptors were terrible, but let's take a look at the guys on their 2005-06 roster.

[LIST=1][*]Chris Bosh - 1x NBA champion, 7x All-Star, Toronto's all-time leading scorer, he was putting up 22.5/9.2/2.6 on 50.5% in 2005-06. Had 18/8/2 during the game.[*]Jalen Rose - Led the Fab Five in scoring (19 PPG), a career-best 24/4/5 NBA player. 17/5/6 during the game.[*]Matt Bonner - 1x NBA champion, 1x NBA 3PT% Leader, a decent role playe for his limited minutes.[*]Jose Calderon - Toronto's all-time leader in assists, a career 10/2.5/7.2 player.[*]Charlie Villanueva - Averaged 13/6.4/1.1 in 2005-06.[*]Mike James - He was averaging 20.3/3.3/5.8 on 37 MPG and 79 games in 2005-06. He put up a nice double-double during the game. Led his team with 26 points, 10 assists, 2 steals on 66.7% FG, 75% 3PT.[/LIST]

Meanwhile Kobe had Odom and shit for teammates in 2006. Smush, Kwame, Mihm, Cook, George, Walton?

Other reasons Kobe's performance was so impressive:

[LIST][*]LA was down by 14 at the half (TOR 63 - LAL 49). Kobe's insane run in the 2nd half ended the game with LA up by 18 (TOR 104 - LAL 122).

[*]He put up those 81 points on incredible efficiency: 60.9% FG (28-46), 53.8% 3PT (7-13), 90% FT (18-20).

[*]He led all 4 quarters in scoring; 1st- 14 pts, 2nd- 12 pts, 3rd- 27 pts, 4th- 28 pts

[*]He put on this insane scoring show with only 3 turnovers in the game. In comparison, Odom had 4 turnovers on his 8 points in that game. Two days before Kobe's 81-point game, LeBron was losing to the Warriors and putting up 14 points on 6 turnovers and 5 for 22 shooting (22.7%) from the field.

[*]Kobe's advanced metrics during this game: 73.9 TS%, 23.0 AST%, 158 ORtg, 107 DRtg[/LIST]
    And you're using things that absolutely do not matter, even a little bit, to make that Raptors team look better.

Like Jalen Rose...what does being a member of the Fab Five in the early 1990s have to do with the player he was 15 years later?

Or Mike James....nothing you told me about him tells me whether or not he was a good defender. Who gives a shit if he was averaged 20-3-3? What does that have to do with Kobe scoring 81 points?

And Matt Bonner; how does him being a one time champ as like the 9th or 10th man and a good 3-point shooter make it harder for Kobe to score 81 points?

And good effort with Villanueva by pointing out he averaged 13-6-1. Still doesn't tell me what that has to do with making it harder for Kobe to score 81, but at least I now know Villanueva was a 13-6-1 player in 2005-2006.

The game was incredible. What Kobe did was absolutely phenomenal and a joy to watch. But what you listed about each Toronto player...really? You gotta do better than that. At least tell us why their defense might have made it harder on Kobe than the average fan thinks.

Serious playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by LamarOdom
    Great game but his game against Dallas was more impressive.

this

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

People like to try to minimize such an amazing game by Kobe by claiming the Raptors were terrible, but let's take a look at the guys on their 2005-06 roster.

[LIST=1][*]Chris Bosh - 1x NBA champion, 7x All-Star, Toronto's all-time leading scorer, he was putting up 22.5/9.2/2.6 on 50.5% in 2005-06. Had 18/8/2 during the game.[*]Jalen Rose - Led the Fab Five in scoring (19 PPG), a career-best 24/4/5 NBA player. 17/5/6 during the game.[*]Matt Bonner - 1x NBA champion, 1x NBA 3PT% Leader, a decent role playe for his limited minutes.[*]Jose Calderon - Toronto's all-time leader in assists, a career 10/2.5/7.2 player.[*]Charlie Villanueva - Averaged 13/6.4/1.1 in 2005-06.[*]Mike James - He was averaging 20.3/3.3/5.8 on 37 MPG and 79 games in 2005-06. He put up a nice double-double during the game. Led his team with 26 points, 10 assists, 2 steals on 66.7% FG, 75% 3PT.[/LIST]

Meanwhile Kobe had Odom and shit for teammates in 2006. Smush, Kwame, Mihm, Cook, George, Walton?

Other reasons Kobe's performance was so impressive:

[LIST][*]LA was down by 14 at the half (TOR 63 - LAL 49). Kobe's insane run in the 2nd half ended the game with LA up by 18 (TOR 104 - LAL 122).

[*]He put up those 81 points on incredible efficiency: 60.9% FG (28-46), 53.8% 3PT (7-13), 90% FT (18-20).

[*]He led all 4 quarters in scoring; 1st- 14 pts, 2nd- 12 pts, 3rd- 27 pts, 4th- 28 pts

[*]He put on this insane scoring show with only 3 turnovers in the game. In comparison, Odom had 4 turnovers on his 8 points in that game. Two days before Kobe's 81-point game, LeBron was losing to the Warriors and putting up 14 points on 6 turnovers and 5 for 22 shooting (22.7%) from the field.

[*]Kobe's advanced metrics during this game: 73.9 TS%, 23.0 AST%, 158 ORtg, 107 DRtg[/LIST]

You just wrote an essay talking about a regular season game between two teams who missed the playoffs. Congrats.

I just want to know what in the hell his little blurbs about each player have to do with their defense and how it made it or harder or possibly easier for Kobe to get 81. Not sure why OP felt the need to tell me Bonner was a 1x champ or that Jalen Rose led the Fab 5 in scoring 15 years earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by KG215
    I just want to know what in the hell his little blurbs about each player have to do with their defense and how it made it or harder or possibly easier for Kobe to get 81. Not sure why OP felt the need to tell me Bonner was a 1x champ or that Jalen Rose led the Fab 5 in scoring 15 years earlier.
    "B-b-b-b-b-b-but IT's KOBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE! DA BLACK MAM-BEAAAANNNNNNN! DA GOAT GAW-WAWD!!! LEBRICK SUCKS CHOKER LOL KOBE CLUTCH AS HELL DOEEEE! 5 RANGZZZZZ!"

National High School Star funnystuff's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fsvr54
    46 shots lol
    lol This

NBA sixth man of the year Levity's Avatar

I wouldnt say its underrated. Most people applaud the great play of kobe that game. It's just that in this forum, people choose to disregard the impressiveness of this performance for their own personnel reasons. spurting nonsense like "it was only against the raptors" or "if blah blah blah took 35+ shots, theyd score 81 points too" totally disregarding the fact of how hard it is to get off your own shot off in the nba, let alone making over 50% of them to score 81. claims like that should just be ignored, because regardless of the opposing team or shots taken, an 81 point performance is absolutely amazing. Its really a head scratcher that some people actually deny the impressiveness of said game.
    Last edited by Levity; 08-23-2012 at 06:20 PM.

I rule the local playground

great game no doubt, but if you know your not going to make it past the first round playoffs might as well right?

idk the lakers kinda ruined it for me that season. it's like nobody cared about winning or playing as a team just shooting...

either way great game by kobe. his shooting percentage and efficiency were insane....

Go Clippers!

Will we ever see a single-game performance by LeBron on par with Kobe's 81?

I doubt it.
    Yes if he is willing to relinquish his teammates the entire game and take almost fifty fieldgoal attempts in one game. With other words, we most likely wont see Lebron do that.

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by LamarOdom
    Great game but his game against Dallas was more impressive.
    I agree. That game vs Dallas, Kobe was on point from jump. In the Raptors game, Kobe came alive in the 2nd half and then he scores around 10-15 points in garbage time just like Wilt did in his 100 point game which was his team force feeding him to score as many as possible.

Also, that Dallas game had intensity in it where-as the Raptors game felt like a sleepy pre-season game.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer tpols's Avatar

Kobe was hitting his patented fades at an unreal rate that game. You could've had Bruce Bowen on him and he still gets those shots. They were the typical long Rangers he hits at like 30percent now except he was in his prime and on fire.