Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

Default Re: The BigAss 2nd term thread

Quote Originally Posted by reppy
    Since when does public opinion have anything to do with whether or not a certain action is legitimate and where exactly such action would place one on the left/right dichotomy?
    Your first point is irrelevant because we are not discussing legitimacy, but yes public opinion does have something to do being left right or center.

If something is in the mainstream it by definition is in the center. That is mutable and something that is in center can move to the margins or something on the margins can move to the mainstream.

American cleric is a nice touch.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by The Macho Man
    Rand Paul is filibustering some shit. Is it just me or is filibustering the most childish shit. There's gotta be a better way of doing shit.

Ending every sentence with the word "shit".

I don't know much about Rand Paul but I think I'm predisposed to hating him because his name is Rand.

Quote Originally Posted by KevinNYC
    Your first point is irrelevant because we are not discussing legitimacy, but yes public opinion does have something to do being left right or center.

If something is in the mainstream it by definition is in the center. That is mutable and something that is in center can move to the margins or something on the margins can move to the mainstream.
    So how do you determine if it's left or right then? Apparently if everyone agrees on it, it's a center position . . but if they don't? How do you decide then? Is it whether or not it has more support or not on the left or right?

Were the policies of Hugo Chavez centrist? In his own country? He seemed to enjoy a lot of public support.

I don't think that mainstream support of a policy means that it is a "centrist" position.
    Last edited by reppy; 03-07-2013 at 02:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by reppy
    So how do you determine if it's left or right then? Apparently if everyone agrees on it, it's a center position . . but if they don't? How do you decide then? Is it whether or not it has more support or not on the left or right?

Were the policies of Hugo Chavez centrist? In his own country? He seemed to enjoy a lot of public support.

I don't think that mainstream support of a policy means that it is a "centrist" position.
    I don't think it has to be everyone who agrees on it to be centrist position.

You do bring up good points though and part of the problem is left-right doesn't really capture all the dimensions of politics. Nazis and Communists believe in the murder of their political enemies while Republicans and Democrats generally do not. So how do you rate them? by their acceptance of political murder or their support of nationalism? or their support of social programs.

Also Jeb Bush has started to run for President.

So far it seems we have Rubio, Bush, Biden and Clinton all making like they are going to go for it.

Bin Laden's Son in Law is in a jail in NYC.

Brennan just got confirmed. The vote was 63-34.
    Holder clarified his earlier statement to Rand Paul.

"Senator Paul has raised questions about the president's authority to use leghal force within the United States, which John Brennan and the Attorney General have both answered," Carney said. "Today, Sen. Paul raised an additional question and the Attorney General has answered it."

According to Carney, Paul asked, "Does the president have the authority to use a weaponized drone to kill an American not engaged in combat on American soil?"

In his response, also read by Carney, Holder replied succinctly: "The answer to that question is no."
    Economic news seems stronger recently.

"4-Week Average Of Jobless Claims Drops To 5-Year Low"
    "Household wealth in the U.S. climbed in the fourth quarter to the highest level in five years, propelled by a gain in home prices that is helping repair family finances."

Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer? johndeeregreen's Avatar

First debates are happening in committees on gun laws.

Straw purchases (buying guns for people who aren't allowed to own guns) got out fairly easily. Can't find if it's the only thing they voted on today or not. But it was a party-line one.

But seriously? That shit wasn't illegal before?(except for buying guns for minors) And people wonder why Murrica has gun violence.

NBA rookie of the year

Why are drones so disagreeable now? They're more versatile than long range missiles, and it's a hell of a lot better then sending in ground troops. Civilians getting killed is unfortunate, but that's not exactly a new issue.

______________________ Balla_Status's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scoooter
    Why are drones so disagreeable now? They're more versatile than long range missiles, and it's a hell of a lot better then sending in ground troops. Civilians getting killed is unfortunate, but that's not exactly a new issue.
    They were disagreeable by Obama supporters under Bush but turn the other way when Obama does it.

Plus they are being used on american citizens without a trial. And Bush killed citizens in Iraq in a country we had no business being in and Obama railed him for it. He's now doing the same thing in similar countries yet Obama supporters don't bat an eye. KevinNYC is blatantly ignoring it.
    Last edited by Balla_Status; 03-07-2013 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoooter
    It's more so the government having the ability to attack it's own citizens at anytime is the real reason. I'm glad the issue is being raised, although I dislike that it's by Rand Paul. No one gives a shit when we attack overseas countries, because they're all turrists!

Quote Originally Posted by Balla_Status
    They were disagreeable by Obama supporters under Bush but turn the other way when Obama does it.

Plus they are being used on american citizens without a trial. And Bush killed citizens in Iraq in a country we had no business being in and Obama railed him for it. He's now doing the same thing in similar countries yet Obama supporters don't bat an eye. KevinNYC is blatantly ignoring it.
    What are you talking about???

the left has been just as disagreeable about drones. I don't really want to classify them as left but there are a lot of individuals who are identified as leftist that expressed concern about drone strikes.

Quote Originally Posted by Balla_Status
    He's now doing the same thing in similar countries yet Obama supporters don't bat an eye. KevinNYC is blatantly ignoring it.
    I've never discussed the drone program? Balla, are you just being intellectually-dishonest or have you not read the thread you are posting in?

Read this thread again and tell me I ignore the drone program.

Quote Originally Posted by Rose
    It's more so the government having the ability to attack it's own citizens at anytime
    Rose, there's a fallacy at the heart of what you said. Think about the above and see if you can recognize it. I think this fallacy clouds a lot of the discussion on drones.