Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

BigKingsfan is a clown, nobody tolerates racial slurs on anybody in soccer. If your fans racially abuse any player, they're banned for life and you're forced to play some home games in an empty stadium. A player was just suspended for 5 games for using a racial slur on South African Benni McCarthy and Macedonia was punihsed for yelling racist chants on Black English players. You have no clue what you're talking about, so just STFU!
    Wow I can't believe I didn't hear about that, even though I'm from their.

MLK of NBA Minorities

Quote Originally Posted by LakerRaider
    Wow. No disrespect, but I distinctly remember your words during the World Cup Final. When there were rumors that Zinadine Zidane was being called a racial slur by Marco Materazzi, you said that no matter what Marco Materazzi said, Zinadine Zidane should've kept his cool.

You never ever said things you said on your comments.

Now it happens to a basketball player, you suddenly become an ambassador of Peace or something on the whole issue.

I think you even said that if a racial slur was used against you, you wouldn't do anything.

You were playing the whole thing off like it was nothing.

Hypocrisy at its finest.

Again, no disrespect.
    Total pwnage.

MLK of NBA Minorities

Quote Originally Posted by GOBB
    "You're a monkey!! *makes sound*"
    "Stupid ape, look at you! Go back to Africa!"
    "Hey ching chong man where my rice? You suck!"
    "Stupid ch!nk!"
    "Wow we got a wetback in the league, quick build a fence. No more no more!"
    Should've added "You're slow and soft!" directed to white people by black people in this list.

Update:

The heckler, Hooman Hamzehloui, has been banned from NBA games in all arenas for a year. Just reward?

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6117032

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    PTI said the guy sent Mutombo a letter saying he was sorry, donated 5000 dollars to charity, and promised not to attend another game until Mutombo said he could.

I did not expect that.
    Wow.

Good college starter EricForman's Avatar

you know, i understand why Black people normally take "monkey" as a racist term towards them. But in Mutombo's case, HE DOES LOOK LIKE A MONKEY. Even if he's freaking White or Asian, he still does.

So I dunno if the dude even meant it as a racist term.

There's no excuse for going into stands ever. It's just words.

If you accept Mutombo's rationale, then you accept anyone's rationale going into stands. I mean, everyone is offended by something different right?

To be honest, although the guy yelling it is a racist do*chebag, he has the right to scream it in my opinion. He didn't use profanity, he didn't make a physical threat, he didn't say an obvious racial slur like n*gger, he said "monkey". Now I know we all know its racist, but technically, IMO, there's no reason to kick him out or ban him. It's free speech, he paid for his ticket, he has the right to heckle if he wants....

To put it in perspective, in European countries, there are places where the WHOLE STADIUM is chanting racial slurs in unison....I saw a special about it on ESPN. It's incredible what they put up with.

I'm not saying the guy ain't an ahole, but he has right to say monkey and there's nothing anyone should do about it. And Mutombo has NO RIGHT going into stands. It's even ludicrous he said that.

What's next? If someone curses out your mother, can you go into stands? What if someone says your child molester? Or if they say your daughter is hot? Unless your trying to save your own life, you can never go in the stands. Period.

NJ Net Fan For Life. wang4three's Avatar

To be honest, although the guy yelling it is a racist do*chebag, he has the right to scream it in my opinion. He didn't use profanity, he didn't make a physical threat, he didn't say an obvious racial slur like n*gger, he said "monkey". Now I know we all know its racist, but technically, IMO, there's no reason to kick him out or ban him. It's free speech, he paid for his ticket, he has the right to heckle if he wants....
    Free speech does not give you the right to say harmful things.

To put it in perspective, in European countries, there are places where the WHOLE STADIUM is chanting racial slurs in unison....I saw a special about it on ESPN. It's incredible what they put up with.
    Hello, sir, we are in America. We haven't been part of Europe since the American Revolution. Get your facts straight.

I'm not saying the guy ain't an ahole, but he has right to say monkey and there's nothing anyone should do about it. And Mutombo has NO RIGHT going into stands. It's even ludicrous he said that.
    Mutombo doesn't have the right to go to the stands but he does not have to take that kind of abuse. If you were standing in a room with me calling me a *****, you can make sure I'd do something about. Secondly, if NBA players are getting fined for criticizing the refs, you can make sure that NBA fans are subjected to the same scruitiny. These players are here to entertain us, so a level of respect should be granted. If he was screaming at Mutombo that he was old and slow, ok, that's part of the game. However, in this nation, we work against just characterizing and generalizng a race.

What's next? If someone curses out your mother, can you go into stands? What if someone says your child molester? Or if they say your daughter is hot? Unless your trying to save your own life, you can never go in the stands. Period.
    No one went into the stands. If Mutombo went into the stands you can bet your ass he get suspended. he was voicing his opinion, which is also a free speech matter, if you didn't realize.

You can call Yao ming "ching-chong-yang-wah-ah-soh," without punishment, and go under the radar.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0110/1490645.html - Shaq

But it's not okay to call Mutombo a monkey. I'm aware Shaq was most likely joking around, and it slipped, but the same can be apply to the guy.
    Last edited by bigkingsfan; 10-31-2006 at 01:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    There's no excuse for going into stands ever. It's just words.
    No its not just words. Maybe to YOU but not to OTHERS. Keep that in mind. There is only so much a person will tolerate when it comes to disrespect.

If you accept Mutombo's rationale, then you accept anyone's rationale going into stands. I mean, everyone is offended by something different right?
    He shouldnt go in the stands just like someone should slam a coworker up against a wall when called a racial slur. Emotions can take over and sometime the better judgement, you pride will have you reacting in a physical manner. This right here PROVES its not just words.

No he doesnt have the right for verbal abuse. There is a fan code of conduct. The whole "Freedome of speech" thing cant be ran behind when you say things you know you shouldnt. NBA has a fan and player code of conduct. On tickets for the most part there are rules/regulations and if you're a season ticket holder you are aware of fan tolerance and behavior.

There is a good reason to ban because the fan knew the rules and if he didnt that is his fault. We penalize players for going into the stands but allow fans to throw whatever they want and say whatever they feel because they pay to get in the arena? Negative. I cant call my supervisor a flaming homosexual diickhead. Cant call them a racial slur either. Well I can but you know the outcome of that and how it affects my future employment when i go for a new job. Ask yourself why the outcome isnt me saying "freedom of speech!" and my supervisor moving on and taking it on the chin like you suggest Mutombo should do.

Really simple here. There is no argument.

I like some facts, articles the whole nine on this because I've heard from people who live over there that isnt the case. That if fans begin to chant racial slurs games can be called, forfeited and games can be cancelled there. Also if it happens again another game wouldnt be played that or something to that extent. That there are penalties and punishment for these racist chants that people are saying happens.

I dont know about europe/soccer but if anyone has info on what goes on over there start throwing some credible sources that i can read. And racism in America is the issue. What happens overseas is irrelevant. Race is and has alwyas been a senstive issue where the outcomes have been violent. Look at the reactions of when Rodney King's verdict came in. Look at the divide when OJ Simpson verdict came in.

Mutombo said if he were FINED by the league for his comments about how disgusting the fan was, how livid he was and that he had to be restrained...then next time he will go in the stands. THats why he said he would go in the stands next time. League said it wouldnt fine Mutombo.

The fan doesnt have a right to call Mutombo a monkey. Get over yourself.

And if you're a fan at the game you can never go over the line when it comes to heckling. There are lines you dont cross. And no freedom of speech right can protect you. Everyone who is speaking out and defending the fans right for calling Mutombo a monkey has the same silly theme "its just words", "he has a right to say what he wants" but everyone has a line including yourself. And when someone crosses it a outcome will take place. You know it and I know it. Only people who arent affected by words and actions are those with no heart or soul.

Quote Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
    You can call Yao ming "ching-chong-yang-wah-ah-soh," without punishment, and go under the radar.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2003/0110/1490645.html - Shaq

But it's not okay to call Mutombo a monkey. I'm aware Shaq was most likely joking around, and it slipped, but the same can be apply to the guy.
    Shaq got roasted for that too. Whats your point?

Shaq got roasted for that too. Whats your point?
    The story was bury in the beginning, and no one ever use it as a reference to this day, ESPN should of refer to Shaq in the latest incident, because of the similarity, (same goes for J Will) but they'd would rather keep it off radar. (bad for business) National and local news organizations have consciously ignored Shaq's racist comment. LA Times, Sports Illustrated, the Associated Press, and other news organizations offered them information about this story. They did not want to write about it. The only reason anyone knows about Shaq's taunt is because Fox Sports Radio's Tony Bruno Morning Extravaganza played a recording of the taunt several times to its nationwide audience on December 16 and 17. On the latter day, Bruno commented that Shaq's comment was "not racist," and then invited listeners and radio commentators to call in jokes making racist fun of Chinese. For hours, people cracked jokes, such as offering free bike parking to increase Chinese attendance at basketball games. Double standard between the two is bull****.

Quote Originally Posted by bigkingsfan
    The story was bury in the beginning, and no one ever use it as a reference to this day, ESPN should of refer to Shaq in the latest incident, because of the similarity, but they'd would rather keep it off radar. (bad for business) National and local news organizations have consciously ignored Shaq's racist comment. LA Times, Sports Illustrated, the Associated Press, and other news organizations offered them information about this story. They did not want to write about it. The only reason anyone knows about Shaq's taunt is because Fox Sports Radio's Tony Bruno Morning Extravaganza played a recording of the taunt several times to its nationwide audience on December 16 and 17. On the latter day, Bruno commented that Shaq's comment was "not racist," and then invited listeners and radio commentators to call in jokes making racist fun of Chinese. For hours, people cracked jokes, such as offering free bike parking to increase Chinese attendance at basketball games. Double standard between the two is bull****.
    Pretty much explains your replies in here. You're bitter at the double standard.

No its not just words. Maybe to YOU but not to OTHERS. Keep that in mind. There is only so much a person will tolerate when it comes to disrespect.
    Well last time I checked it's just words. Sorry, it's Motombo's job to ignore everything said in the stands. Period. That's the way it is. Fans can say some really nasty things sometimes. That's life.

He shouldnt go in the stands just like someone should slam a coworker up against a wall when called a racial slur. Emotions can take over and sometime the better judgement, you pride will have you reacting in a physical manner. This right here PROVES its not just words.
    Players are paid big bucks to ignore the fans. Fans have been heckling players since the beginning of time. I'm sure Jackie Robinson heard a few racial slurs in his day. It's part of your job to completely ignore it. Pride? Bullsh*t. Enough with this "disrespect" bullsh*t. Players are professionals, and have to act professional by ignoring the fans. Period.

No he doesnt have the right for verbal abuse. There is a fan code of conduct. The whole "Freedome of speech" thing cant be ran behind when you say things you know you shouldnt. NBA has a fan and player code of conduct. On tickets for the most part there are rules/regulations and if you're a season ticket holder you are aware of fan tolerance and behavior.
    I realize there is a fan code of conduct, but booing, heckling, deriding players happens in every pro sports game. Some of the heckling is profane, rude, disrectful, etc. That's the way it is. I didn't realize the word "monkey" is not allowed in the arena.

There is a good reason to ban because the fan knew the rules and if he didnt that is his fault. We penalize players for going into the stands but allow fans to throw whatever they want and say whatever they feel because they pay to get in the arena? Negative. I cant call my supervisor a flaming homosexual diickhead. Cant call them a racial slur either. Well I can but you know the outcome of that and how it affects my future employment when i go for a new job. Ask yourself why the outcome isnt me saying "freedom of speech!" and my supervisor moving on and taking it on the chin like you suggest Mutombo should do.

Really simple here. There is no argument.
    Fans are not allowed to throw anything. That's an immediate ejection from stadium.

Fans can't say anything they want. But I don't think the word "monkey" is outlawed, is it?

Why are you equating fans deriding players with workplace situations. Two completely different animals (no pun intended).

I like some facts, articles the whole nine on this because I've heard from people who live over there that isnt the case. That if fans begin to chant racial slurs games can be called, forfeited and games can be cancelled there. Also if it happens again another game wouldnt be played that or something to that extent. That there are penalties and punishment for these racist chants that people are saying happens.

I dont know about europe/soccer but if anyone has info on what goes on over there start throwing some credible sources that i can read. And racism in America is the issue. What happens overseas is irrelevant. Race is and has alwyas been a senstive issue where the outcomes have been violent. Look at the reactions of when Rodney King's verdict came in. Look at the divide when OJ Simpson verdict came in.
    Here ya go. Enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jwpO-nnFY9g

Mutombo said if he were FINED by the league for his comments about how disgusting the fan was, how livid he was and that he had to be restrained...then next time he will go in the stands. THats why he said he would go in the stands next time. League said it wouldnt fine Mutombo.

The fan doesnt have a right to call Mutombo a monkey. Get over yourself.
    I don't think Mutombo is wrong for saying he was livid. But he still can't go in the stands. Period.

And if you're a fan at the game you can never go over the line when it comes to heckling. There are lines you dont cross. And no freedom of speech right can protect you. Everyone who is speaking out and defending the fans right for calling Mutombo a monkey has the same silly theme "its just words", "he has a right to say what he wants" but everyone has a line including yourself. And when someone crosses it a outcome will take place. You know it and I know it. Only people who arent affected by words and actions are those with no heart or soul.
    Sorry. No excuses. Words are words. If you are a professional ballplayer, someone could yell profanity three feet away from you and curse out your mother, but you have to ignore it. Sorry. I suppose the player could complain to security if it gets too voracious, but that's about it. It's called self control. If you personally don't have self control, then that's your problem I guess.

I wondered why there are soo many people emphasizing the guys right to throw racial insults around at a public event.... until I realized that this is ISH and most of the posters here can relate to the jack ass in the stands more than a guy like mutombo.....

The guy has no right to act like that in any arena...