Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Dwight Howard=Most OVERRATED player in the NBA

People talk about this guy being top 15 and the best C in the game and nonsense like that. He's averaging:

17 pts
    12.5 reb
    1.7 ast
    1.9 blk

To put this into perspective for some of you, Pau Gasol last year averaged:

20.4 ppg
    8.9 rpg
    4.6 ast
    1.9 blk

I mean sh!t, why is everyone annointing this guy a superstar when he hasn't actually DONE IT YET.

Decent college freshman BFRESH44's Avatar

This diffrence is Dwight Howard is only a 3rd year player straight outta of High School in comparison to those numbers being Pau's 5th year..

Pau's 3rd year: 17ppg 7rpg 2.5 apf 1.7 block

Dwight is still devoloping as a player..

Thread failure...
    Last edited by BFRESH44; 01-22-2007 at 08:43 PM.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

I put him on a list of 17 players that I later expanded to 23 clearly not in any particular order(I didnt mention Kobe till like #11). And I didnt call him the best center in the league either. Was just a list of people arguably as good or better than Gasol. He deserves mention.

Quote Originally Posted by BFRESH44
    This diffrence is Dwight Howard is only a 3rd year player in comparisson to those numbers being Pau's 5th year..

Pau's 3rd year: 17ppg 7rpg 2.5 apf 1.7 block

Thread failure...
    His AGE doesn't magically make him a better player RIGHT NOW. 2nd/3rd year LeBron is better than a 2nd threepeat Jordan just because he has similar numbers yet was much younger? Shut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    I put him on a list of 17 players that I later expanded to 23 clearly not in any particular order(I didnt mention Kobe till like #11). And I didnt call him the best center in the league either. Was just a list of people arguably as good or better than Gasol. He deserves mention.
    Isn't just you. Many put the guy on a pedestal he hasn't earned.

I dont think it is that Dwight is overrated i just think Gasol is underrated. He hasnt been talked about much because of his injury, he plays for the Grizzlies which doesnt get him any exposure, and his style of play is much less, for lack of a better word, impressive than Dwight's. Dwight gets the huge dunks and 20/20 nights while Gasol is a much more consistent under the radar type of player.

Local High School Star hwliuLAP's Avatar

Dwight Averages 3.5 offensive rebounds out of those 12.5
    which is Ben Wallace like numbers

He is also shooting a pretty good .565%
    and IF Howard gets better at the foul line
    he could average have a chance on averaging 20

also Dwight is getting better year by year
    but Pau only had a break out year last year
    his performance has all been about the same (which is still VERY productive)
    but Pau is playing having his prime seasons

while Howard still isn't fully developed yet

Decent college freshman BFRESH44's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    His AGE doesn't magically make him a better player RIGHT NOW. 2nd/3rd year LeBron is better than a 2nd threepeat Jordan just because he has similar numbers yet was much younger? Shut it.
    Misintepreted your thread. Didn't realize your were eluding to people annointing him NOW...

Still, it is infact arguable that he is as good/or better than Gasol right now IMO...

Gasol isn't on any dominant pedestal either..

Surely not much of a strong case in pointing out how Dwight is the most overrated player in the L...
    Last edited by BFRESH44; 01-22-2007 at 09:10 PM.

He was also held to 1pt, 6 rebs, and 6 fouls against the Nets.

He may not be the most overrated player in the game, but I will say the Nets have the most underrated interior D in the game.

Look what they have done to Bosh, Dwight, Curry and others over the past couple of weeks, and really all season and prior seasons.. near the top in fewest points on the paint allowed for the past 3 years.

People talk about this guy being top 15 and the best C in the game and nonsense like that. He's averaging:

17 pts
    12.5 reb
    1.7 ast
    1.9 blk

20.4 ppg
    8.9 rpg
    4.6 ast
    1.9 blk

I mean sh!t, why is everyone annointing this guy a superstar when he hasn't actually DONE IT YET.
    We'll see how much you have to say when Bynum starts producing. Gonna contradict yourself

National High School Star allball's Avatar

I won't say he's overrated but the speculation that he will be the best big man or even player in the league is unwarranted. Yes he rebounds well but he doesnt hustle rebound. It's all size and athleticism plus he doesnt have any other real rebounders on his team. And even though he's still young, I don't see those Duncan like qualities yet. I think he can be an integral part of a championship team but I don't see him being the BEST player on a championship team.

Incidentally numbers are nice but I look at the player's game as a whole and when folks talk about DH they immediately bring up his numbers when most of those folks dont watch him play regularly.

To this point a slightly more athletic Horace Grant but without the mid-range shot and defensive footwork.

Decent playground baller Lakers's Avatar

17 pts
    12.5 reb
    1.7 ast
    1.9 blk

20.4 ppg
    8.9 rpg
    4.6 ast
    1.9 blk

When it comes to big men I think you have to look beyond stats a little. Correct me if I am wrong but Orlando is one of the league's best team's on FG% AND opponent FG%, that's usually the sign of a dominant big man collapsing the defense so his teammates can get easier shots and presenting a defensive force on the other side's interior. Almost reminds me of the way the Lakers used to be tops(or near tops) in FG% and opponent FG% when Shaq was with us. You will find plenty of situations in the league where 2 players have similar stats but are obviously not even in the same league because of what they do for their own team and to the opposition. Both Kobe and Howard would be in these types of comparisons.

This is exactly why numbers dont tell the whole story, Dwight has cery few plays called for him, where as pau was the offensive focal point of a decent memphis team. Dwight is a mutant in a league of freaks and his play is only going to improve and isnt exactly rubbish now.

Serious playground baller WildStyle's Avatar

Slightly more athletic then Horace Grant? lol, wow. He doesn't have Horace's midrange game, but Horace had no post up game. Dwight has a post up game. It may be a little raw at this stage but it's there and getting better.

And to say Dwight doesn't have other rebounders on his team is overdoing it. Grant Hill, Tony Battie, Hedo Turkoglu and Darko Milicic are all capable rebounders. Not to mention Orlando plays one of the most slowed down games in the league, meaning there are less shots taken and less opertunites for rebounds.

Decent playground baller

no way, howard is good.

garnett is still the most overrated player. he can't be higher than number 6 or 7 in the league.