Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Rick Barry vs. Pippen

Who is more GOATy

Golden State Aster*sks

Default Re: Rick Barry vs. Pippen

Rick Barry doesn't count, he played before televisions were invented.

High School Varsity 6th Man

I am old enough to have seen them both play in their prime. I am a big fan of Pippen and think he is underrated.

That said, it's clearly Rick Barry. Rick may have had his flaws as a person, but he could do about everything as a ball player.

NBA rookie of the year senelcoolidge's Avatar

Pippen has the edge defensively, everything else Barry. People don't realize how good he was and he practically carried a team to a championship in 1975. One of the greatest scorers, shooters, ft shooters, incredible I.Q., excellent passer..etc.

I rule the local playground

Quote Originally Posted by senelcoolidge
    Pippen has the edge defensively, everything else Barry. People don't realize how good he was and he practically carried a team to a championship in 1975. One of the greatest scorers, shooters, ft shooters, incredible I.Q., excellent passer..etc.
    A huge pet peave of mine is when people mention scoring and shooting as two different things and people do it all the time.

I don't care how a person scores if its getting to the basket or shooting. Saying Barry is a better scorer then Pippen is good enough.

I would say Barry but it is pretty close. Two players that are so different its hard to compare them.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stanlove1111
    A huge pet peave of mine is when people mention scoring and shooting as two different things and people do it all the time.

I don't care how a person scores if its getting to the basket or shooting. Saying Barry is a better scorer then Pippen is good enough.

I would say Barry but it is pretty close. Two players that are so different its hard to compare them.
    yeah... that's about it right there.

And although some people think scoring is narrowed down some when you think about driving or whatever, it's still a shot whether you dunk it or heave it from the nosebleeds.

Gotta go with Barry! In my opinion was the first EPIC fundamentally sound SF on the offensive end. I think peak wise Baylor was better, but in terms of total offensive skillset (scoring and passing) Barry set the standard until Bird came around. Hondo was close back then, but I think Barry and Bird had more ways to beat u scoring. But when it comes to two way SF's, Pippen is right at the top with Bron and Hondo. It's pretty much those three AND EVERYBODY ELSE from a historical perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by stanlove1111

Well said! Points are points bottom line! Everybody has different ways of getting points! Bird was an epic alpha dog just like Dr. J was too. But they had two totally different ways of scoring, but both were equally unstoppable at their peaks.

I also agree they were different players too. Even though I think Barry was a point forward kind of player due to his passing and IQ in the halfcourt (like Hondo and Bird were), Pippen was more of an all court point forward who played damn near like a PG. Meaning Pippen would bring up the rock and push it often in transition. Pippen's handle and pace was also like a PG. Basically Pippen blurred the lines between PG and point forward while also adding freak athletic ability to it. (later done by guys like Bron and G Hill). On the other hand, Barry was more of a great passing forward who happen to have the vision of an elite PG.

Pippen's obviously better on the defensive end and he also gets the (not big) edge in rebounding but Rick got him in terms of overall scoring, shooting and pure passing...

Barry could turn into a big a-hole, on and off the court, but at both their best I'm picking Rick to lead my team. Also got Barry higher on my all-time list (close though).
    As a 2nd option, I'd pick Pippen though.

Gee I wonder what brought this about.

Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Rick Barry

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by colts19
    I am old enough to have seen them both play in their prime. I am a big fan of Pippen and think he is underrated.

That said, it's clearly Rick Barry. Rick may have had his flaws as a person, but he could do about everything as a ball player.
    What flaws as a person?. He's a true man, not a corporate shill or sell-out.

Barry rose to the role of #1 man, while Pippen was always a sidekick, so it's kind of hard to judge. I have to go with Barry simply because I just can't imagine Pippen ever leading a team to a championship, never mind one like the '75 Warriors where there were no other real stars.

High School Varsity 6th Man

Quote Originally Posted by masonanddixon
    What flaws as a person?. He's a true man, not a corporate shill or sell-out.
    It seems that Rick viewed his view of everything as the Gospel. A lot of players didn't like him because of that.

Barry was one of the most competitive people to ever play the sport and he was extremely frustrated any time his teammates weren't up to his level of caring, or if they'd do something like blow a basket after he made a great pass, etc... I don't really see how that makes him much different from Jordan or Kobe.