Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Andre Drummond- The next Shaq?

Quote Originally Posted by drainthe3
    the big men today are all trying to be perimeter players

It's been like that since the late 90's. That's what happens when generations of kids grow up idolizing MJ.

"I wanna be, I wanna be like Mike"

B-Eazy Mike Beasley MichaelCheazley's Avatar

Im pretty sure drummond didnt watch jordan growing up. Hes 18.

I think the "next Shaq" thing is completely out of place.

Don't get me wrong, kid looks like he has all the potential to be a great player. But by no means he looks to have the game of a typical big man. And Shaq was the ultimate big man. Most of his arsenal was in the post, and he took pride in that. Drummond, regardless if he pans out in the NBA or not, won't be a mainly downlow player. That's not where he is showing most potential.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Ive seen nothing the least bit Shaq like. Not at all. Every young bigman who is good isnt Shaq like. Especially the ones doing crossovers in transition, facing up, and all that. Shaq could do a little...but that wasnt his game.

Next Blake or even...Webber? Or Derrick coleman even? maybe. Not Shaq.

Shaq had actual post moves and nice hook shots. While obviously his huge bulk and athleticism got him some points, those 2 alone would never have made him one of the greatest centers of all time. You've got to have skills to back up the raw power.

National High School Star

Might never ever see a player Shaq's size with that quick footwork. In college the scouts were drooling at how Shaq's footwork style was more like a guards. Very rare.

If a player a big, a jump hook and a power dribble to dunk attempt is more than adequate though. Forget about comparing people to Shaq. You just aren't going to see somebody that size do those kinds of things often in your life.

He seems really talented. I just hope he develops into a more versatile type of Howard, instead of a more versatile Amare, since he will struggle doing all these fancy passing and dribbling stuff in the NBA. It's too early to predict what he'll become. But he doesn't really play like Shaq here.

doesn't he wear 12 cause he is a fan of dwight?

Very good NBA starter

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelCheazley
    There will never be another Shaq. He is a once in a lifetime kind of player.
    we've been waiting for like 20 years for another beast like shaq... some creature that's big as fk AND also plays big as fk. a big ass friggin muthafugga that makes other 7-footers look like helpless 6th graders.

still ain't anything close. doubt we'd see one in another 20 years or even more. every big guy wants to be a ball handling fadeaway jump shooter these days.

well, dwight is mini-shaq but he ain't no shaq.
    Last edited by DCL; 10-18-2011 at 10:15 AM.

Cuba

He's the most fluid center prospect we've seen in a while, he moves around much better than Oden/Bynum/Howard did, and is much heavier than McGee. He might not have Shaq's post game, but the fact he can move around like that and handle the ball lends itself to learning how to play in the post.

Maybe the next David Robinson?

Local High School Star Vienceslav's Avatar

is the 41 in vertical confirmed?
    coz wow.

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Who needs to develop a post game to dunk on HS kids?

That's the problem with the American Basketball development system. This guy will get 1 year in College against decent competition, and won't have any kind of post skills when he enters the NBA.

That said, this guy looks like the real deal. I'll be interested to see how he performs at UCONN. Don't forget, Kwame was mashing all over people in HS too.
    No, Kwame is an example of why the AAU circuit exploded in the last 10 years.

Kwame is an example of what happens when a kid dominates mediocre local HS talent down there in Georgia with good physical measurables, but instead of hurting a college program who are underwhelmed by his performance, he hurt a NBA franchise. Tyson Chandler & Eddy Curry were far more hyped in his class, simply because they are from major cities(LA & Chicago) and their competition was better. They were more visible, while Kwame wasn't. Scouting services claimed he had a "weakness" of playing too much on the perimeter instead of posting up and playing too much like a Guard. Kwame never played on the perimeter in the NBA, so where was this tendency? Thats just an example of the lack of visisbility he received. When he had a good game at the McDonalds All American Game, it somehow reinforced the same poor scouting reports of him and a NBA team bit on it.

Thus, more resources are now put into seeing these players matching up versus other top talents in their class since they are in 9th grade to evaluate which ones standout among the best recruits. Now, AAU is basically more important than HS basketball.

Sorry for going off track.

Quote Originally Posted by abuC
    He's the most fluid center prospect we've seen in a while, he moves around much better than Oden/Bynum/Howard did, and is much heavier than McGee. He might not have Shaq's post game, but the fact he can move around like that and handle the ball lends itself to learning how to play in the post.

Maybe the next David Robinson?
    Bingo.

Thats what I was insinuating with the "next Shaq" comment because Shaq was very much like this coming out of HS. 7'0, Nearly 300lbs but a trim muscular figure, fluid athlete, strong, & basically resembling a manchild despite being 18 years old. Could get out on the fastbreak too & run the floor.

In comparison, there has not been a C prospect who has come out since then who looks this advanced from a physical & talent standpoint like Drummond does.

I take it a lot of people are just getting hip to Andre Drummond since they havent followed recruiting. But this kid is 18. The way he looks, plays, handles himself and it looks almost LeBron level in terms of how advanced he is compared to players in his class.

He is a man among boys, although he is the same age as them.

BEAST

pretty amazing skill sets consider hes 6 11 with a 41 inch vert.

the next shaq is a misleading title, maybe more like a magic johnson , KG type of player

he seems to have an all around game.

I have been talking about this guy for years tbh. But he still has a lot of work to do. He often disappears in games. Still extremely talented though.

Definitely nothing like Shaq though.