Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: P.E.D and Roids in the NBA?

Anyone who doesn't believe that there's wide spread use in most sports these days is fooling themselves. There's numerous articles if you do a google search about how poor the NBA testing is and how easy it is to by pass. The issue is that the leagues have no incentive to catch drug cheats as that only hurts their sports. I think if we could honestly see who was on hgh and other banned substances there would be a bucketload of guys that have no signs and no one expected.

High School Varsity 6th Man WolfGang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bucket_Nakedz

Looks like natural growth to me. I don't see how P.E.D would help anyone but bigs like Bynum. Hell, most bigs are skinny compared to shorter pro wrestlers and football players. Most basketball players don't even have abs or muscle tone.

I'm not saying some players don't take enhancement but I don't think many players do. If Lebron James was on steroids he would jump to 280-300lbs. Which honestly wouldn't be too big considering how tall he is.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by WolfGang
    Looks like natural growth to me. I don't see how P.E.D would help anyone but bigs like Bynum. Hell, most bigs are skinny compared to shorter pro wrestlers and football players. Most basketball players don't even have abs or muscle tone.

I'm not saying some players don't take enhancement but I don't think many players do. If Lebron James was on steroids he would jump to 280-300lbs. Which honestly wouldn't be too big considering how tall he is.
    How many times do people need to be told that the common misconception that all P.E.D's do is make you bigger is a myth? There's banned drugs that help NBA type athletes around that I'm sure get used. You don't think substances that help you perform longer are useful? Drugs that help you recover from injuries? Drugs that help your muscles recover faster in between work outs?

High School Varsity 6th Man WolfGang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by outbreak
    How many times do people need to be told that the common misconception that all P.E.D's do is make you bigger is a myth? There's banned drugs that help NBA type athletes around that I'm sure get used. You don't think substances that help you perform longer are useful? Drugs that help you recover from injuries? Drugs that help your muscles recover faster in between work outs?
    Wouldn't taking something that gives you prolonged energy make you crash eventually? Could someone last 82 games taking something like that? I don't really think players take it because I've seen too many players fatigued(and play bad) after long stretches.

Drugs that help you recover from injuries sound a lot like something people call "medicine." Why would trained professionals need help recovering from workouts they have been doing since they were like 14? It's not like they lift hella weights or anything, because if they did then Kevin Durant would be Lebron's size by now. If rookies can come out and play 82 games straight then I don't see why vets can't.

I can see the old heads like Kobe and Duncan taking them.

I assume a large portion of the NBA takes ped's and I think it would be naive to think differently.

Banned

But you do realize that 90% of ISHers that claim a player is using PEDs is based onhow big they look? Like the guy you're quoting is quoting (quoteception). Based on you're discription of PED's you can't make a real case that D12 is using PEDs it would all just be subjective/opinionative with no factual evidence. Either way like I said before if you read what most people post on here in ISH you will see posters saying a player used PED's just by looking at them

Decent playground baller

As some have already said, not every PED, steroid, or supplement makes you big. Every single Olympic sprinter you know the name of is taking something "illegal", no way Bolt is breaking records of known juicers. Genetics don't make up that big of a difference when talking about the .2% luckiest genes.

So yes, NBA players use something. With the amount of cardio they do, especially in season, they would lose massive amounts of size, yet barely any do. Then during a 3 month offseason many players come back to camp 20 to 30 lbs heavier but still in good enough cardiovascular shape to play 44 minutes of basketball.

I'm not sure how many of you have tried putting on size/weight (especially when you already weight 200+ lbs) but 10lbs a month is insane. Even gaining 30lbs in 3 months of mixed fat and muscle is overly impressive, let alone when these guys come back in looking at a sub 12% body fat.

And to anyone questioning LeBron James or Howard's use, claiming natural progression, look at the delts. That's the biggest give away to steroids (although nothing is 100%), especially being basketball players there is little need for any direct delt work, if at all. Yet these guys have softballs in their shoulders and keep them year around.
    Last edited by ThickassGlasses; 11-20-2012 at 06:43 PM.

Samurai Swoosh

LeBron has never used them ... he's just one of those rare genetic freaks of nature that come along every couple decades or so

Wade has used roids, it was very noticeable following his injury plagued season in 2007 and 2008. It speeds up recovery, he looked visibly bigger / more muscular, and all of a sudden in the 2008 Olympics he was doing windmill dunks.

He wasn't even doing that a couple years prior when he was younger, lighter, and with fresher legs.

Kobe took them in the summer of 2002 heading into the 2002 - 2003 campaign. In July at Rucker Park he was the same size he was the previous season, then on media day just a month later he comes in 15 lbs of pure muscle heavier.

You can't do that naturally in a month time frame. Believe me, I know.

He took them again in 2004 - 2005 to recover from all his injuries and slight frame from the previous year (got too big in the process)

Strength doesn't matter as much in basketball, but the steroids aid recovery time of injuries and brittle bodies.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ThickassGlasses
    As some have already said, not every PED, steroid, or supplement makes you big. Every single Olympic sprinter you know the name of is taking something "illegal", no way Bolt is breaking records of known juicers. Genetics don't make up that big of a difference when talking about the .2% luckiest genes.

So yes, NBA players use something. With the amount of cardio they do, especially in season, they would lose massive amounts of size, yet barely any do. Then during a 3 month offseason many players come back to camp 20 to 30 lbs heavier but still in good enough cardiovascular shape to play 44 minutes of basketball.

I'm not sure how many of you have tried putting on size/weight (especially when you already weight 200+ lbs) but 10lbs a month is insane. Even gaining 30lbs in 3 months of mixed fat and muscle is overly impressive, let alone when these guys come back in looking at a sub 12% body fat.

And to anyone questioning LeBron James or Howard's use, claiming natural progression, look at the delts. That's the biggest give away to steroids (although nothing is 100%), especially being basketball players there is little need for any direct delt work, if at all. Yet these guys have softballs in their shoulders and keep them year around.
    So you're saying they don't work out regular because that's just bull, go look at lebrons work out (and lebrons hell week before last season started) and other nba ballers they can have strct routines in taking care of their body. Just because they are basketball players doesn't mean they don't workout and once again lebrons stature is only impressive because of his height but he has barely any definition worth "WOWing" Although his shoulders aren't even that impressive wouldn't this help him achieve those "soft balls" you say he has? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl4ZQlgIA80 and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nE7YlfHAZ0 (by the way playing basketball actually helps you're shoulder muscle growth) Also for the usain bolt statement and that .2% which is once again bull wouldn't you say if the.2% were true that a person who was lucky enough to have those genes use them in athletic competitions? Not saying usain doesn't use PEDs because he might but it's possible he could of done it naturally
    Last edited by Pacers4ever; 11-20-2012 at 07:04 PM.

Don't these NBA players get tested for the olympics? I don't know how long the trace of steroids last, but wouldn't one of these players been caught by now playing in the olympics. And to the poster who said Usain Bolt is on drugs, I have a very hard time believing that. He probably gets the strictest tests out of anyone.

Banned

Wolf - yeah a lot of the recovery stuff is "medicine" but most leagues banned substances lists include a lot of drugs regular people can take too (a cricketer got done taking diaretics to lose weight and I know the NBA bans these too even though their legal). They also do a lot more works outs and have to last 82 games which they didn't at 14 years old. The fatigued players could be players crashing and in an off cycle. Avoiding detection is all about cycling on and off the stuff at the right times and with the right professionals helping you do it.

Pacers - your comments are legit. Most posters here and just jumping on appearances when in actual fact I believe if all the drug takers were suddenly exposed people would be surprised who is on them and who isn't.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ihoopallday
    Don't these NBA players get tested for the olympics? I don't know how long the trace of steroids last, but wouldn't one of these players been caught by now playing in the olympics. And to the poster who said Usain Bolt is on drugs, I have a very hard time believing that. He probably gets the strictest tests out of anyone.
    armstrong competed in the olympics. There's other people who've been done in their sports for drugs who also competed in the olympics. I'm no expert but it's my understanding if done correctly they can avoid detection at the right times. Not saying Usain is on anything though.

armstrong competed in the olympics. There's other people who've been done in their sports for drugs who also competed in the olympics. I'm no expert but it's my understanding if done correctly they can avoid detection at the right times. Not saying Usain is on anything though.
    Great points. I guess I could do more research on PEDs to see how they really work. It would be a shame though for someone like Bolt to get caught later down the road.

I rule the local playground Floppy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ihoopallday
    Great points. I guess I could do more research on PEDs to see how they really work. It would be a shame though for someone like Bolt to get caught later down the road.
    Fun Fact: Pretty much every previous record holder from the past 2-3 decades turned out to be on PED's.

Do you really believe that somebody who shatters world records in a never before seen manner is clean? Especially if he comes from a tiny country that is known for the pretty much none existent drug testing and the large number of top sprinters it coincidentally produces.

Quote Originally Posted by Floppy
    Fun Fact: Pretty much every previous record holder from the past 2-3 decades turned out to be on PED's.

Do you really believe that somebody who shatters world records in a never before seen manner is clean? Especially if he comes from a tiny country that is known for the pretty much none existent drug testing and the large number of top sprinters it coincidentally produces.
    Records are inevitably going to be broken. If someone takes PEDs and participates in the Olympics since they continuing testing the athletes even after the Olympics. Also, it is not really coincidence that the top sprinters come from Jamaica since sprinting is as big there as basketball as to the U.S.