Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Decent college freshman

Default Why did the Lakers not retire George Mikan's #99?

Yet they still call themselves the 15 time world champions, without recognizing the greats from Minneapolis. T'would be better to see #99 amidst itself, instead of on the tiny unoticable blue banner with the likes of Martin, Lovellete, amongst others. Both men wore numbers 22 and 34 respectively, one of which is retired for Elgin Baylor and the other of which will be retired for Shaquille O'Neal.

Does this mean a hopeful could wear #99 on the Lakers today? What makes the Lakers different? Oscar Robertson's #14 be retired by the Sacramento Kings, despite playing for them whilst being the Cincinati Royals, Wilt Chamberlain's #13 be retired by the Oakland Warriors, despite playing for them in Philadelphia and San Francisco. This be worse than the 76ers not officially retiring the #2 jersey of Moses Malone.

Is #99 unofficially retired? What be the status?

Not airballing my layups anymore globarticles's Avatar

Default Re: Why did the Lakers not retire George Mikan's #99?

It's not retired.

National High School Star

From what I remember, at some point after the move the franchise tried to seperate itself from it's minnisota history, to try to create their own identity apart from it's previous iteration. Now they have a unified banner for the minni championships and a single banner to represent the minni players, including Mikan who's name is on the banner.

Actually, they did retire Mikan's number. But George is so old, it was done in Roman Numerals.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    Actually, they did retire Mikan's number. But George is so old, it was done in Roman Numerals.
    That was amazingly unfunny.

They did retire it, here's a clip from the ceremony:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu_moia-oVI
    Go back to your kiddy websites where people actually find that funny.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeypox
    From what I remember, at some point after the move the franchise tried to seperate itself from it's minnisota history, to try to create their own identity apart from it's previous iteration. Now they have a unified banner for the minni championships and a single banner to represent the minni players, including Mikan who's name is on the banner.
    Yet they say Minni championships are LA's, isnt that hypocritical? They should at the very least respect Minni superstars as much as they do current Lakers.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeypox
    If they wanted so badly to move away why didn't they change their name from the Lakers? There is no lakes in L.A. if I recall...and also like Harison said they need to renounce the rights then to the Minneapolis Lakers NBA championships. The only reason they claim them anyways is to try to compete with the GOAT Dynasty in the Celtics you take away the early ones and L.A. is way behind Boston in terms of Rings!
    Last edited by KKittles30; 07-18-2009 at 02:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KKittles30
    If they wanted so badly to move away why didn't they change their name from the Lakers? There is no lakes in L.A. if I recall...and also like Harison said they need to renounce the rights then to the Minneapolis Lakers NBA championships. The only reason they claim them anyways is to try to compete with the GOAT Dynasty in the Celtics you take away the early ones and L.A. is way behind Boston in terms of Rings!
    exactly. not to mention, in my opinion wilt should not have his jersey retired. he wasnt the same wilt when he was in la. but the lakers retire anybodys number. and its because they want to compete with boston.

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    exactly. not to mention, in my opinion wilt should not have his jersey retired. he wasnt the same wilt when he was in la. but the lakers retire anybodys number. and its because they want to compete with boston.
    The Lakers have more players in the hall of fame than jerseys retired, and have the most top 50 players jerseys retired than any other team and its not close...thats all u need to know.

College star

Because they're a bunch of phaggits.

Quote Originally Posted by Maniak
    That was amazingly unfunny.
    It's ISH, it's already a childish site.

But in memory of Mikan:

MIKAN

XCIX

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    miss

Quote Originally Posted by 97 bulls
    On the contrary, given their level of success, the Lakers are pretty stingy when it comes to retiring numbers. They are all numbers of legends, with the possible exceptions of Wilkes and Goodrich, unlike other teams like the Blazers who decided to retire the numbers of all the starters of the 1977 squad (talk about pessimistic expectations!) or the Suns who retired 4 different special jerseys for non-players. The Celtics have way more retired jerseys than the Lakers, so I don't know how you got to the conclusion that the Lakers try to catch them.

And Wilt definitely should have his number retired. Even in 5 seasons, he still achieved more than most players who did have their numbers retired did.

(I know the message is over 3 years old, but I guess you haven't changed your mind since then).

The irony of 97 bulls is hilarious, the Celtics will retire any players jersey if they can, tif they have a 6th player of the year he would get his jersey retired.

Banned

What's funny is, he wears number 99. How many players have we seen with that No.?