Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Top 1 Bball Mind.

Default Re: Extremely precise player scaling chart based on basketball perspective/diameter

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Your correct, that's why I've been finding images where the camera was a great distance away from the source - because it greatly reduces any scaling changes with perspective. The aim is to get the camera far enough away from the sources and using lenses ideally in the 35-100mm range so that the scaling differences when the ball is within a foot of the same plane becomes basically negligible. Also, as you can see, I am making an effort to keep the ball as close to the plane of the subject as possible in every image.
    you should try to get them all doing a jump ball cause the ball would be basically on the same plane in relation to the player.

Default Re: Extremely precise player scaling chart based on basketball perspective/diameter

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    could you Also scale laker shaq into the pic?
    Yes I have been on the look out for a good pic of Laker Shaq for a while now

*EDIT*
    Until then here's an image of Shaq in the post, obviously not standing but still gives a good indication of his immense size

(full size)
    https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-z...0scaleWIP3.jpg
    Last edited by CavaliersFTW; 01-26-2013 at 02:58 AM.

Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

Correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't this depend on the distance of the ball relative to the camera? For example, Thurmond is holding the ball behind him while James is holding the ball in front of him, thus rendering this image deceptive. I don't know; just a thought.

Very good NBA starter elementally morale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by no pun intended
    Correct me if I'm wrong, doesn't this depend on the distance of the ball relative to the camera? For example, Thurmond is holding the ball behind him while James is holding the ball in front of him, thus rendering this image deceptive. I don't know; just a thought.
    Correct.

Quote Originally Posted by no pun intended
    Again, it's all about the distance from the subject / lenses aperature / etc - I deliberately picked images where the subject is very far away from the photographer, and where the basketballs are extremely close to the subject plane, thus, eliminating as much potential "perspective" distortion as possible. I understand exactly what you guys are saying and what your concerns are, and I've already accounted for it and made an effort not to select images with any noticeable amount of perspective change. Let me give you guys an example:

This was an image taken with the appropriate lens type to reduce distortion however, the subject (Lebron) is extremely close to the camera, thus even if his full body were in the shot the image would not be able to be used simply because he is so close. In fact, because of this reason I've found almost no "media day" style photographs can be used because the camera man is always too close to the players. Note how the effect of perspective is exaggerated on Lebron. However, also note that Ray Allen who is a bit further away, is less effected by depth of field distortion.

In this image, all subjects are relatively distant from the camera, and as a result, the distorting effect of perspective becomes greatly reduced. It is distant images like these that I'm hunting for, though obviously where the players full body is visible.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

NOt sure if some of these help:

[IMG][/IMG]

Naturally, this isn't exact science, but it gives us another dimension.

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    Okay, I've been working on this for a while hunting for extremely specific types of photographs (taken from a distance from the subject, with lenses of the type that eliminates as much optical distortion as possible) tell me what you guys think of this so far, the image contains players with both known measurements, and players with unknown measurements:

(preview size)

(full size)
    https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-J...0scaleWIP2.jpg

Dwight Howard measured at age 19, 6-9 w/o shoes. If the scaling is accurate indeed he does appear to have grown about a quarter inch after being drafted because I even subtracted 1.25" for his shoes - I will do more images of him, if this is a consistent result, I will admit that I'm wrong and stop correcting everyone left and right that he's "just" 6-9 w/o shoes

Wes Unseld was listed at 6-7 but is cited more specifically at 6-7.5 a few times in newspapers from that era - which appears to be his height minus the fro in the image

Bill Russell was listed at 6-9 in the NBA but was listed in the NCAA and Olympics at 6-10 and is most often cited at 6-10 in his era. A sports illustrated article from 1956 specifies his height (from Bill Russell's own words) at precisely 6-9 and 5/8ths. This roughly appears like it should be his height in the image if the odd angle of his head is taken into account.

Nate Thurmond was listed 6-11 in the NBA. The only article I could find specifying anything other than 6-11 was a college article from sports illustrated that cited his height at 6-10 as a sophomore in college, and stated that Nate had "grown a half inch over the summer" since that time (which would mean he was 6-10.5 at the time). He appears to be about 6-11 and 1/4" w/o shoes in the image.

Willis Reed was listed 6-10 in the NBA, though articles often cite him as being in reality "just under" 6-10. This definitely appears to be the case in the scaled image, although it is hard to tell exactly due to the tilt of his head - it actually almost seems like he's closest to 6-9, only just at or barely above 6-9, no more than 6-9.5 at the most.

Elvin Hayes was listed 6-9 in the NBA, but is precisely stated as being 6-9.5 w/o shoes on in an article that discusses his actual measurements (wingspan included) while a Junior in the NCAA. This, or perhaps even 6-10 appears to be his height w/o shoes in the image that is scaled.

Kevin Love is listed 6-10 in the NBA, but he wears huge 1 and 3/4" shoes. He measured 6-7.75" w/o shoes in the draft. This appears to still be his height when his shoe heal height is subtracted.

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar was listed 7-2 in the NBA and measured specifically 7-1 and 7/8ths w/o shoes his second year in the NBA, this appears to be his height in the scaled image

This one was interesting to me, [COLOR="Red"]Lebron[/COLOR] is listed 6-8 in the NBA though is often cited as "6-9". He measured 6-7.25" in the draft at age 18. In the scaled image he actually appears to be a legitimate 6-8 w/o shoes now, even with a 1" shoe thickness subtracted. [COLOR="Red"]He also looks absolutely massive in stature but I guess he should at ~260lbs ballpark
    [/COLOR]
    Wilt I will discuss at a later time, when I put in an image of him standing/straightened out like the others.
    LeBron similar in build to Willis Reed although he has more modern look of body-sculpting (which has little to do with strength but it LOOKS strong). He should look massive because them are some big ol' boys.
    do i detect a slight toward LeBron? Placing him in between two of the biggest guys that ever played he looks almost peewee right there.
    [COLOR="Red"]Where is Deuce Bigalow with his insulting picture of Wilt in the 60s?
    [/COLOR]

Last edited by Lebron23; 01-26-2013 at 12:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lebron23
    Damn those laker jerseys are sick, that shade of purple looks almost blue
    The gold actually looks like gold instead of yellow

That's very nice work, obviously it's not perfect but it's still the best effort I have seen. It gives us at least some idea about how superstars of different eras compared physically. Future repped
    PS: Can we get Yao Mign and Durant in there too?

Last edited by dunksby; 01-26-2013 at 12:52 PM.

I rule the local playground Jax's Avatar

Were the balls always the same size?

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MMM
    Damn those laker jerseys are sick, that shade of purple looks almost blue
    The gold actually looks like gold instead of yellow
    I sat bleachers for many games of those jerseys & they were a sight to see all right. Some of the teams had plain looking jerseys some looked great, but Lakers were best for decades.
    Like check out Celtics still basically the same from those days although the lettering is smoother.

One of the greatest guards to ever play:

One of the greatest forwards to ever play:

And here's recent guy that's right up there too!!: