Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Default This is what Kobe should have been for the last decade.

This is just beautiful.

Playing like this, Kobe is my favorite player, perhaps ever.

I understand he's playing a terrible defense - I could probably do this on Luke Ridnour too - but he's been doing this for more than a week, and we all know Kobe's good enough to do this to anyone.

Kobe's been a top ten passer and ballhandler for almost his whole career. Even at his most selfish, I would even say top 5. He's just made poor decisions based on impatience and ego. He'll go for stretches playing intelligent ball, but never consistently, to my satisfaction. Could this possibly be a permanent change in approach?

Kobe's been trying to be Jordan all this time, when he should have been trying to be Magic.

Banned

Default Re: This is what Kobe should have been for the last decade.

It's like looking at a beautiful girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton
    This is just beautiful.

I understand he's playing a terrible defense - I could probably do this on Luke Ridnour too - but he's been doing this for more than a week, and we all know Kobe's good enough to do this to anyone.

Kobe's been a top ten passer and ballhandler for almost his whole career. Even at his most selfish, I would even say top 5. He's just made poor decisions based on impatience and ego. He'll go for stretches playing intelligent ball, but never consistently, to my satisfaction. Could this possibly be a permanent change in approach?

Kobe's been trying to be Jordan all this time, when he should have been trying to be Magic.

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    says the *** with the *** avi

Quote Originally Posted by Clifton
    This is just beautiful.

I really don't disagree with this. He wouldn't be my favorite player ever, but he'd be one of my favorites. And people think he's not a high IQ player...he's got an ego and is petulant.

He's probably the 7th best player of all-time...but I could be disappointed in the fact that I think he could have been a top 3 player.

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 9erempiree
    You look at Kobe as you would a beautiful girl? I like Kobe as a player too but... Oh my.

And people think he's not a high IQ player...he's got an ego and is petulant.
    He might have the highest IQ of anyone in the NBA. Every time he theorizes on the game, it's clear he's got a hell of an intellect. But then he goes out there and shoots 7 for 29 and you're like, well what was the point of all that film-watching and sound theorizing if you're still shooting your team out of games and discouraging all your teammates with your obvious disapproval and mistrust?

See the Lakers look great now - 56 with 8:00 left in the 2nd - but what happens when they miss a few open shots in a row? When Gasol drops a couple more passes? How does Kobe respond? That'll be the real test.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

LA's on a 15-0 run right now with Kobe on the bench.

Minnesota has went 1-11 since Kevin Love went out Jan 4...they aren't just bad right now, they are terrible.

Yea it's really awesome that he is incapable of playing off the ball making the Lakers' acquisition of Nash a complete waste turning him into a spot up shooter.

LA's on a 15-0 run right now with Kobe on the bench.

Minnesota has went 1-11 since Kevin Love went out Jan 4...they aren't just bad right now, they are terrible.
    Obviously Kobe's not going to lead a 3pt barrage like this every night. But the point is that Kobe's not just passing to guys when they're open... he's actually putting pressure on the defense *while* waiting for guys to get in a position to score. And then giving them ball just at the right time, in the right place. And if he's doing that the Lakers can't help but win - against anyone. He's actually using the IQ we all know he has. Sure he's doing it against a JV team *tonight*... but he's been doing this to good teams too.

Yea it's really awesome that he is incapable of playing off the ball making the Lakers' acquisition of Nash a complete waste turning him into a spot up shooter.
    If you had Magic Johnson on your roster, would you complain that he wasn't playing off-ball enough?

Kobe playing at his most intelligent is not as good as that, but he's close. I prefer Kobe in the high post playmaking to unsuccessful D'Antoni pick and roll basketball with a 39 yo Nash and no pick and roll big men.

Nash as a spot up shooter is going to shoot 45-50% from 3... I'll take that anytime

rank sentamentalist

i still don't see it. lakers have been fun to watch but it's not like kobe has flicked a switch and completely transformed his mentality. the switch he flipped is tactical, not strategic. it's preconceived, proactive instead of reactive... "okay, now i have to play like this"

and he's always been a tremendous player with this severely flawed mindset. he's flat out BAD at adjusting within the flow of the game. it doesn't come naturally to him and it never has. not like it does for duncan or lebron, stars who you know will make the right decision just about every trip down the floor, as the situation demands.

i dunno how you guys define basketball iq but i see it as a pseudonym for intuition on the floor. it's the x factor that made jason kidd an all time great. and it has very little to do with off the court analysis by definition, because like you said, if it doesn't come to bear in the actual game, what the hell good is it?

it's like, giving the ball up to a teammate on a breakaway... you can see that as kobe trying to instill confidence and solidarity in the locker room or whatever. but if we consider his history, it's 99% more likely to be just kobe yet again overcompensating for his perceived flaw as a pure gunner.

which is ironically his one real flaw.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

There was a possession there where he had an open three, turned it down, posted up his guy (ridnour i believe...a shorter defender who is definitely not able to guard kobe) and had a good opportunity to shoot, but still didn't and just waited and passed it.

This gimmick can't last and if it does it's not the best for the team. He's actively trying to rack up assists or prove people wrong.

When the shot is there, you shoot it...you dont wait until the defender recovers so then you can pass it

rank sentamentalist

There was a possession there where he had an open three, turned it down, posted up his guy (ridnour i believe...a shorter defender who is definitely not able to guard kobe) and had a good opportunity to shoot, but still didn't and just waited and passed it.
    he just passed up an open baseline layup to kick to his covered teammate at the top of the circle......