Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Vote for the Top 10 Defensive Players in NBA History

Any list without Duncan is wack.

#1 in Blocks in the Playoffs. #9 in Blocks in the Regular season ... Anchored some of the best defenses of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by ThaRegul8r
    I'm not angry. If you would single me out, then apparently you don't read many threads on here.

I haven't said anything negative, I've only stated fact. You actually acknowledged my first point, and somehow bringing attention to an overlooked NBA great is perceived as negative. Interesting. (Also interesting that you've chosen to comment on me rather than other posts in this very thread.) But that's why I rarely discuss NBA history here anymore.

It's also interesting in that my second post wasn't even in reply to anything you wrote, unlike me first post, yet you felt compelled to reply to it. The interesting question is why.

Nice strawman. I said nothing of the sort. Other people's insecurities are none of my concern.

If you're not one of the people who's overlooked Thurmond, then what exactly is your point? You were one of the few in this thread who even mentioned him. As previously aforementioned, my second post wasn't either in reply to or directed at you, yet for some reason you felt the need to say you're aware of Thurmond's defensive abilities when you already had him on your "short list." So I'm failing to see the purpose of this statement.

I'm unsure why you feel so threatened or take so much offense to everything I say. Still, it's good to have where someone stands out in the open. Since my posts alone are unwelcome, if you wish me to discontinue posting in your thread, then I will oblige you. You shan't have to worry about seeing any more of my posts in any of your subjects.
    Almost every single one of your posts on this board has a 'holier than thou' undertone to them. WillC isn't the only one to notice. You undoubtedly know more about the history of the NBA than the vast majority on here but your intillectual snobbery shines through like a Baboon's backside. It can be off-putting. Don't mean to gang up on you, although I have a feeling you don't care in the slightest what I think, anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by HardwoodLegend
    Pardon my ignorance (I don't know enough to compile a Top 10), but what is Kevin Love doing on the short list while Bryon "Jordan Stopper" Russell and Ruben "Kobe Stopper" Patterson are absent?
    Honestly, I'm not quite sure how Kevin Love ended up on my shortlist.

I put the list together by just grabbing a list of players from an Excel spreadsheet that I've got with loads of players listed and their corresponding accolades. As such, the list generally features players with at least on All-Defensive Team selection. Therefore, how Kevin Love made the list I'm not sure. Well spotted.

I don't understand why people refuse to rank the best defenders without splitting them into different categories, and yet people are perfectly happy to rank the best players ever irrespective of position.

So what difference does it make if we're looking at just the defensive end?

Kevin Love is an All-Time Great defender now?

Quote Originally Posted by RRR3
    Kevin Love is an All-Time Great defender now?
    Please read two posts above yours.

Great college starter

Duncan
    Pippen
    Robinson
    Jordan
    Hakeem
    Bowen
    Wallace
    Dikembe
    Payton
    Derek Harper

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by L.Kizzle
    We're not gonna act like Oakley, Anthony Mason, Smith, Derek Harper, Starks didn't play for the Knicks, all good defenders, not like Zo in Miami or Deke in ATL where they basically were the defense (save Mookie and PJ Brown.)

Uh huh. That's why you put Oakley, Mason, Smith, Harper, and Starks on your list of other positions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Uh huh. That's why you put Oakley, Mason, Smith, Harper, and Starks on your list of other positions.
    I didn't just like I didn't put EWING . Ewing is next at number 11, though the bottom centers on my list could go either way.

National High School Star allball's Avatar

Walt Frazier
    Michael Cooper
    Don Chaney
    Bill Russell
    Hakeem Olajuwon
    Bruce Bowen
    Maurice Cheeks
    Gary Payton
    Scottie Pippen
    Sidney Moncrief
    David Robinson
    Rick Fox
    Kevin McHale
    Kevin Garnett
    Bobby Jones
    Ben Wallace
    Michael Ray Richardson
    Michael Jordan
    Pat Ewing
    Tim Duncan
    Last edited by allball; 11-25-2012 at 10:46 PM.

National High School Star allball's Avatar

Narrowing to 10:

Frazier
    Hakeem
    Bowen
    Cooper
    Wallace
    Pippen
    Moncrief
    Robinson
    Garnett
    Duncan

Just my opinion...

EDIT: need to reevaluate

I used ---'s to divide into tiers, though perhaps there should be an extra --- between Russell and the second group (hard to separate defensive impact from rebounding). Walton probably knocks Rodman out if he plays for a longer period of time IMO.

I'm not trying to knock perimeter players, but I really can't put guys who aren't the anchoring the paint in the top 10 (the only reason Pip/Worm make it in is because the latter captained an elite defense for six championship runs, and the latter though he wasn't an anchor was probably one of the top couple of perimeter man defenders in league history while with Detroit, and an elite post defender, possibly all-time great, later on) in his career.
    Last edited by fpliii; 11-26-2012 at 03:36 AM.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Lol at Ben Wallace being left out by most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Clippersfan86
    Lol at Ben Wallace being left out by most people.
    I actually might remove Rodman for him...

Quote Originally Posted by fpliii
    Just my opinion...

1)Russell
    ---
    2) Thurmond
    3) Wilt
    4) Hakeem
    ---
    5) Robinson
    6) Duncan
    7) Garnett
    8) Pippen
    ---
    9) Ewing
    10) Rodman

I used ---'s to divide into tiers, though perhaps there should be an extra --- between Russell and the second group (hard to separate defensive impact from rebounding). Walton probably knocks Rodman out if he plays for a longer period of time IMO.

I'm not trying to knock perimeter players, but I really can't put guys who aren't the anchoring the paint in the top 10 (the only reason Pip/Worm make it in is because the latter captained an elite defense for six championship runs, and the latter though he wasn't an anchor was probably one of the top couple of perimeter man defenders in league history while with Detroit, and an elite post defender, possibly all-time great, later on) in his career.
    Why Pippen over Ewing?