Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567
    Very good NBA starter

Default Re: Promotion of Jordan was shoved in America's throats more than any player by the NBA

Quote Originally Posted by Yao Ming's Foot
    No but much would much more would be made about Jordan never winning without Pippen, Pippen taking the tougher defensive assignments, Pippen distributing the ball more, Pippen being a bad call away from the Finals without Jordan, Pippen missing out on even more championships due to Jordan's little league dreams.
    Toughest defensive assignment? WTF are you smoking? http://chasing23.com/did-scottie-pip...s-best-player/ Mj avged 11 asts in the 91 finals. Also the article i listed didn't show the 1990 playoofs where Mj guared Isiah. guarded the best player my ass.
    Last edited by juju151111; 03-04-2013 at 03:35 PM.

Banned

Default Re: Promotion of Jordan was shoved in America's throats more than any player by the NBA

WinWin's article screams butt hurt.

Stay thirsty my friends.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMan
    Says the guy with 13 NBA titles

The number one goal for a basketball team is to win a title. Don't kid yourself. It's not the end of the world if you never win one but it is a huge disappointment and you move on...and it does affect legacies. Karl Malone and Charles Barkley would be higher up in GOAT ranks if they had chips, Bill Russell wouldn't smell top ten if he had zero titles...
    correct .... but,

we are not talking about basketball here ... we are talking about things more important than basketball

Quote Originally Posted by winwin
    correct .... but,

we are not talking about basketball here ... we are talking about things more important than basketball
    But we are talking about a basketball player, right?

But we are talking about a basketball player, right?
    exactly .. a player ...

but Muhammad Ali, Jackie Robinson, and Arthur Ashe are heros

The article brings up a great point that many grown ups will understand because they lived during the period when athletes actually cared about their communities and other issues besides their own sports image and money. Back in the day, if you had a platform, and you were a success? you also had a conscious message to bring to the people who you influenced. it helped society maintain a better balance than it has today

Jordan shied from that. Personally, I think its a disappointment, but then again, its Mjs choice to do what he wants with his fame. If he wants to sit on the sidelines, then that is his right. Maybe Jordan wouldnt have anything enlightened to say anyway. him exposing more of his personality might be a bad thing..

He was goat on the court and that will have to be enough. But I think the article does bring up the point that celebrities used to care about something other than themselves, and I think it is more noticable when you see celebrities like Kardashians, and lohans, and whoever else (J-lo) is famous but nobody knows wtf for..

Jordan excelled at his craft, so at least he did that

Quote Originally Posted by Rasheed1
    The article brings up a great point that many grown ups will understand because they lived during the period when athletes actually cared about their communities and other issues besides their own sports image and money. Back in the day, if you had a platform, and you were a success? you also had a conscious message to bring to the people who you influenced. it helped society maintain a better balance than it has today

Jordan shied from that. Personally, I think its a disappointment, but then again, its Mjs choice to do what he wants with his fame. If he wants to sit on the sidelines, then that is his right. Maybe Jordan wouldnt have anything enlightened to say anyway. him exposing more of his personality might be a bad thing..

He was goat on the court and that will have to be enough. But I think the article does bring up the point that celebrities used to care about something other than themselves, and I think it is more noticable when you see celebrities like Kardashians, and lohans, and whoever else (J-lo) is famous but nobody knows wtf for..

- i wish Jordan shied from that .. but NO

he supported (Nike "Slave" Child Labor)

- Material Madness

Michael Jordan’s shoes were the beginning of a strange cultural phenomenon. Jordan kept getting sued $5,000 a game by the league for wearing his shoes in 1985 because of the color scheme. Nike, on the other hand, kept paying the fines. They felt that this was great publicity for Jordan and their company. This controversial situation fueled Jordan’s legend and the legend of the brand.

Yet, that phenomenon turned into something even Michael Jordan didn’t expect. It turned into something murderously ugly.

google the book: ''Capitalism and Michael Jordan''

and ''Michael Jordan and the New Global Capitalism''

Banned

[QUOTE=winwin]- i wish Jordan shied from that .. but NO

he supported (Nike "Slave" Child Labor)

- Material Madness

Michael Jordan

3-time NBA All-Star

Couldn't the fact that Jordan didn't make social issues one of his focuses be a sign of the times though? I believe I read an interview from Jordan a long time ago where he said that part of the reason he stays away from issues such as race is because he didn't really experience alot of racism growing up. Now maybe he's downplaying it cause thats a little hard to believe given he grew up in the south in the late 60s and 70s, but thats what he said, and either way, I'm sure he experienced much less then people like Joe Louis, Bill Russell, Muhammad Ali, and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar who grew up in earlier times.

And maybe I'm wrong so feel free to correct me, but I've never heard Dr. J or Magic, who came before Jordan, embrace social issues. Magic did for HIV/AIDS but that was only after he contracted it. The fact is there's not alot of athletes in general since the 60s/70s that have really made a big deal out of social issues. Obviously, Jordan was the biggest athlete of them all, but its not like you can say everyone else didn't have a huge platform as well.

I'm not making excuses for the guy. I'm sure there are things he shied away from that he shouldn't have, but like you said, he wasn't obligated to do more then be an athlete, and thats what the majority of athletes have done since.

I hate when sports leagues throw the greatest athlete ever in our faces. It disgusts me.

Quote Originally Posted by guy
    Couldn't the fact that Jordan didn't make social issues one of his focuses be a sign of the times though? I believe I read an interview from Jordan a long time ago where he said that part of the reason he stays away from issues such as race is because he didn't really experience alot of racism growing up. Now maybe he's downplaying it cause thats a little hard to believe given he grew up in the south in the late 60s and 70s, but thats what he said, and either way, I'm sure he experienced much less then people like Joe Louis, Bill Russell, Muhammad Ali, and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar who grew up in earlier times.
    Yeah... I mean, it wasnt every athlete and if Jordan had nothing to say, then he did the right thing I guess.

Plus the 80s was the era where all the activism and people caring about one another stopped..

Guys like Ali and Jabbar, and Russell played in the earlier era and Jordan was a part of the 80s

And maybe I'm wrong so feel free to correct me, but I've never heard Dr. J or Magic, who came before Jordan, embrace social issues. Magic did for HIV/AIDS but that was only after he contracted it. The fact is there's not alot of athletes in general since the 60s/70s that have really made a big deal out of social issues. Obviously, Jordan was the biggest athlete of them all, but its not like you can say everyone else didn't have a huge platform as well.
    Drj wasnt an Ali type activist.. Doc's role was more general as the role model for players. Doc was also like the place where jazz music and bball met. People were into Doc's smooth demeanor and his class. HE didnt say or do anythin in particular, but he was like godfather (met him when I was a kid at a Temple Black tie event... It was like meeting the pope).

Magic was all hollywood and broads before he met his match with the HIV thing. But Im proud of him the way he has handled himself post NBA. He has been a great influence and role to many people

I'm not making excuses for the guy. I'm sure there are things he shied away from that he shouldn't have, but like you said, he wasn't obligated to do more then be an athlete, and thats what the majority of athletes have done since.
    yeah, everyone has the right to do what they want with the success they earn. It is easy to tell someone else to martyr themselves for the cause, but you cant be mad when they dont do it.

Banned

When you're the best to ever do something, people tend to make a big deal about it. I know, strange concept.

National High School Star Nevaeh's Avatar

I dare you to find a post where I mention MJ's looks. You brought up the looks angle in your previous post you fakkit.

The reason MJ is what he is has to do with the way he matched the hype and how he delivered time and again, not because he was some Nubian sex god like how you obviously think he was. YOU brought up that link about beautiful people and success, not I you homo.

That 's why you hate him and love to denigrate him, because he makes you uncomfortable in your homo erotic views of him

BUSTED! Get outta the closet!!

YMF having prime MJ as his avatar is defintely not helping his cause either.

National High School Star Nevaeh's Avatar

Win Win's article makes a good point about jordan. He was a great athlete, but he doesnt compare as personality. In fact he has a pretty poor personality. DGMW, he is the goat on the court, but he surely doesnt measure up to Ali or Some of the other greats in other sports.

I know for black people, it used to be a responsibility and an honor for celebrities to also be community activists and people who actually stood for something..

Not so much anymore..
    That actually depended on the individual though. Jordan even said himself that he doesn't like drawing attention to himself for things he does out of the public eye. He probably saw that as "Attention Whoring", and already knew that his game and shoes alone garnered enough attention by themselves already.

People projected onto Jordan what they wished he could be by virtue of him being good at a sport. I was a kid when Jordan hit the scene, and at no time did it hit me to ask "why don't Jordan do more to help black people" or whatever else was going on at the time.

In the commentary of the movie Malcom X, Spike Lee mentions how Jordan was one of a handful of celebrities who came to the aid of the film financially in order for it to get it finished. That film featured one of Denzel Washington's greatest performances to this day. The first half of it alone could have been a movie by itself.

Did Jordan feel the need to draw attention to himself about how important Malcom's life story was, during a time where racial tension was at an all-time high during the 60s? No, the film did the job just fine. Just how Jordan always let his game do the talking. Yet white people still loved MJ. Why? because he was a great f@cking B-ball player.

There's an old saying that goes "stay in your lane" and that's exactly what Jordan did. You don't see people asking Laurence Fishbourne why he didn't get a starting job in the NBA during the 90s do you?