Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456
    Not airballing my layups anymore

Default Re: Was the 2004 Finals the biggest NBA upset ever?

Quote Originally Posted by Ne 1
    Talk about distractions. If anyone remembers that Finals, Chauncey absolutely destroyed Payton, Malone got injured in the WCF and then Detroit's defense basically doubled and tripled Kobe whenever he had the ball forcing someone else to beat them. Yeah the Lakers were talented, but even as a Laker fan, I have to say that team had horrible chemistry. Kobe and Shaq carried them, but man, no team that I can remember had that many problems going on.
    I really think even horace grant will make a slightly difference for that series. Pistons' wallaces just totally killed us.

Honestly, the 2004 Finals were the first NBA Finals that I watched all the way through. In the past, I would catch a few games, but not every single one. In this one, I watched all 5. I was definitely disappointed with the outcome, though it was expected. Looking at that Lakers team, Shaq & Kobe already making their feud public, Payton not being the same dude he was in the '90s, a young Billups dominating every Lakers' PG without a problem, etc.
    I'm not surprised that the Pistons actually destroyed the Lakers.

Banned

mavs vs warriors 2007

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

losing to the pistons actually helped kobes all time status
    And as a "lakers" fan(you aren't) thats all that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    mavs vs warriors 2007
    I don't really consider that an upset it was obvious to me that Warriors were going to beat the Mavs but whatever.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Ikill
    I don't really consider that an upset it was obvious to me that Warriors were going to beat the Mavs but whatever.
    everyone who rewrites history says that but the fact they knew it would happen but the fact remains that a 67 win team losing to an 8 seed in the first round is the biggest upset in NBA history

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Young
    everyone who rewrites history says that but the fact they knew it would happen but the fact remains that a 67 win team losing to an 8 seed in the first round is the biggest upset in NBA history
    I know a lot of people say i knew that was going to happen but Warriors were a bad match for Dallas it was easy when you regular season games. Warriors were also much better than there record, it was a bit surprising the Warriors won but that Mavs team was not winning they could try it again and still lose.

When you're averaging 30ppg/15rpg/3bpg on freaking 55% shooting throughout the Playoffs of a damn 3-peat, I don't care how many shots your #2 Guard is chucking, you're the leader of that team.

Billups was so awesome

IMO. the biggest upset was when the Nuggets beat the Sonics back in 1994

Not the biggest, but top five easily. Others that were more of an upset IMO were Warriors/Mavs from '07, Bullets/Sonics from '78, and Nuggets/Sonics from '94.

I usually hit open layups stickfigure87's Avatar

anybody who thinks that kobe wasn't a big part to this upset is delisuonal. sure, he wasn't the only problem, but watching that series, it was evident that shaq was destroying wallace on the offensive end, and wasn't getting fed enough. kobe was double and tripled team the entire series and didn't adjust.

other problems were obviously payton getting killed, malone being injured, and the lakers bench being absent.

and this is coming from a major kobe fan who supported the team siding with him instead of shaq after the fallout of 04.

Dunking on everybody in the park bl2k8's Avatar

Losing to Det set up LA for a possible 3 peat, and four straight finals trips, I'm happy with how things worked out

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar
    I was definitely disappointed with the outcome, though it was expected. Looking at that Lakers team, Shaq & Kobe already making their feud public
    Yeah that year was a disappointment. I was pissed, but not mainly because we lost the Finals, but because of Kobe and Shaq acting like immature crybabies. Especially Shaq though. I mean who publicly calls out their teammate, says the Lakers are "my team" and keeps referring to their teammate as a side-kick all the time? Of course Kobe was gonna be pissed.

NBA rookie of the year

Quote Originally Posted by Ne 1
    Yeah that year was a disappointment. I was pissed, but not mainly because we lost the Finals, but because of Kobe and Shaq acting like immature crybabies. Especially Shaq though. I mean who publicly calls out their teammate, says the Lakers are "my team" and keeps referring to their teammate as a side-kick all the time? Of course Kobe was gonna be pissed.

Gotta love Shaq.