Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Default Re: Who would you draft over Shaq?

Quote Originally Posted by FreezingTsmoove
    Kareem, Hakeem, Duncan, Oscar, Lebron, Magic since I take loyalty to a franchise into account

Learning to shoot layups Actinium59's Avatar

Whithout hindsight I would take over Shaq:
    Kareem / Lew. He was the centerpiece of the most dominant NCAA team of all time, without ungardable shots. You had to know that he would become an all time great pretty easily.
    Walton. So dominant in college. Same thing as Kareem, same team, but later. And a perfect record. They were winners and ungardable, both ready to dominate in the big league.

Obviously Wilt, because of his superior physical ability than Shaq (and the fact that he played hard both way of the floor).

And If I were a GM. If I had Shaq in the same draft as Ralph Samson, Hakeem, the admiral or Duncan I would have a hard choice. They all seem much easier to work with because of their more team-oriented character and demeanor.

As for Larry, Magic or Michael, well I would have picked those only if there were no future all-time great center in the draft. But i'd rather build a team around a big man, it's far easier to find quality guard than quality bigs.

I have no clue about Russel and Mikan, but perhaps they could have been considered at the same level as Shaq going into the draft. Well luckily those who picked them got more titles than Orlando and all the Florida's team combined

And the true unkown factor could be Yao, he was so tall and with the biggest marketing edge over anyone. But, I would have hired the best medics team ever to greenlight him or not before my choice. And hire a shooting coach right away to teach him fundamentals to be immediately ready. Imagine him with a reliable Kareem like hook-shot.

And I'm no expert of college basketball, so I can't say anything about (Oscar - guard so after Shaq), Bellamy or Baylor, but maybe they were also a no brainer.
    Last edited by Actinium59; 04-04-2013 at 12:59 PM.

NBA rookie of the year Kurosawa0's Avatar

Michael Jordan, Tim Duncan, LeBron James, Kobe Bryant, Magic Johnson and Kareem. That's really it.

Larry Bird.

He's the only player who can truly get the most of his teammates while also possessing the ability to dominate the game on his own if necessary.

Bird guarantees you 50+ wins even if surrounded by crap.

Not sure you can say that for any other player in NBA history. Maybe LeBron too. That's it.

Are we to assume Shaq would be the same person he was in his actual career?

By this what I mean is:

- Coming into seasons out of shape
    - Not willing to play alongside any other stars (Chris Webber, Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, etc.)
    - No loyalty to a franchise (how many did he play for? )
    - More interest in being a celebrity than an athlete

If that's all true, then I'd easily take Kareem, Jordan, Wilt, possibly Hakeem, Bird and Magic over him.

Quote Originally Posted by La Frescobaldi
    Shaq is the only guy Wilt went and got interviews to say Shaq had the opportunity to be better than Wilt himself. The ONLY guy he remotely said that about.
    I dunno what would happen if '72 Wilt met up against 2001 Shaq except there WOULD be an earthquake in that town!!
    Wilt from his Sixers days though...dude was just so fast, agile, totally ferocious and by far that vertical he had. It would be the dream of dreams to see them go after it
    Hey, I think any all time great including (and especially) Wilt would be a great match up for Shaq. It depends on how people called it. If they let them play, Shaq would dominate anyone.

What I was referring to is that Shaq is bigger than Wilt, period. In terms of who was more immovable on the block, it's no comparison. But yeah, you'd think someone like Wilt could get around Shaq. They are both ridiculously long, too. I wish they could play a game where fouls were called as they should be but where neither would be able to foul out. Because that's what I see when I think of Shaq matching up against Wilt. A foul on nearly every play.

-Smak

Not knowing about how their careers would turn out? No one and it's not even close.

Quote Originally Posted by LBJFTW
    Not knowing about how their careers would turn out? No one and it's not even close.
    If we knew nothing about how their careers would turn out, then the draft would look like this:

http://basketballjournalist.blogspot...asy-draft.html

Quote Originally Posted by WillC
    If we knew nothing about how their careers would turn out, then the draft would look like this:

http://basketballjournalist.blogspot...asy-draft.html

lebron 3rd and MJ 11th.

love the description for Kobe: See above (but substitute golf, baseball and gambling with soccer, hotel workers and Italian).

Shaq is guaranteed pure raw domination. Even Jordan needed a specific set of pieces around him to win. You can just throw Shaq in a variety of situations and he will most likely deliver a chip.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by Scholar
    Are we to assume Shaq would be the same person he was in his actual career?

By this what I mean is:

- Coming into seasons out of shape
    - Not willing to play alongside any other stars (Chris Webber, Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade, etc.)
    - No loyalty to a franchise (how many did he play for? )
    - More interest in being a celebrity than an athlete
    I'm not sure why one would say they're taking someone and then assuming they aren't the person they actually were. You'd then be getting into some alternate reality stuff. (And if you're getting into alternate realities, then there'd be nothing stopping someone from saying things like, "Well maybe in an alternate reality Shaq is an 80% FT shooter.") When you draft someone, you get everything that they were, for better or for worse. Which includes the bad as well as the good. It's then up to each person to balance them and decide whether, for them, the good outweighs the bad.

Quote Originally Posted by dh144498

lebron 3rd and MJ 11th.

love the description for Kobe: See above (but substitute golf, baseball and gambling with soccer, hotel workers and Italian).
    Read the introduction to the article. Remember, Jordan wasn't even the 1st pick in his draft, so there's no way he had more hype than LeBron.

In fact, if anything, Jordan is perhaps too high at 11th.

(For the record, I think he is the GOAT. But not at the age of 20)

TRUTH

If any of you guys are GM's. And we did not know how any of these players careers would pan out.

Coming out of college Shaq would be picked first above all other players.
    His size strength and skills set him far a part.

Saw a basketball once

david robinson or rick barry

Quote Originally Posted by crisoner
    TRUTH

If any of you guys are GM's. And we did not know how any of these players careers would pan out.

Coming out of college Shaq would be picked first above all other players.
    His size strength and skills set him far a part

absolutely this....

- If no one knew how each player would turn out...Shaq would most likely get the #1 pick over anyone ( size/speed/ etc..)

- after seeing how thier careers panned out....

Kareem
    Russell
    Jordan
    Kobe
    Magic
    Duncan
    Bird

all get the nod over Shaq.