Page 1 of 24 123411 ... LastLast
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default The Official Starcraft 2 Thread

This thread exists as the cornerstone of Starcraft 2 here on insidehoops. It primarily focuses on the latest happenings within the e-sports world, such as news, rumors, and results. Discussing your own game and asking questions about things that pertain to the game is very welcomed as well.
    Basic Intro to Watching Starcraft 2

Twitch.tv Starcraft 2 Livestreams
    Azubu.tv - Featuring livestreams from SK.MC and more
    HuskyStarcraft on YouTube
    TotalBiscuit's SC2 content on YouTube
    Day9 on YouTube
    HDStarcraft on YouTube

Champion of Blizzard World Championship Series 2012: Startale.Parting
    2012 Auction All-Kill OnGameNet Starleague Champion: SKT1.Rain

Reigning Global Starcraft League Code S Champion

Samsung.RorO
    Previous Champion: MVP.Sniper

Reigning Global Starcraft Team League Champions

Team FXO
    Previous Champion: Team FXO

Reigning Major League Gaming Champion

Startale.Life
    Previous Champion: Startale.Life

Reigning Dreamhack Champion

Liquid.HerO
    Previous Champion: Acer.Nerchio

Reigning Intel Extreme Masters Champion

LG-IM.YoDa
    Previous Champion: LG-IM.First

Reigning North American Star League Champion

Liquid.HerO
    Previous Champion: Mill.Stephano

Reigning World Cyber Games Champion: Startale.Parting
    Reigning HomeStory Cup Champion: GL.Snute
    SK Planet Proleague Season 2 Champions: CJ Entus
    Champion of 2012 Blizzard Cup: Startale.Life
    Iron Squid II Champion: Startale.Life
    Last edited by Maniak; 04-02-2013 at 02:14 PM.

Default Re: The Official Starcraft 2 Thread

This post is reserved for something. It's too bad I don't know what that something is.
    Last edited by Maniak; 04-02-2013 at 02:15 PM.

What's the latest trend in builds?

From what I've been seeing in high level play...

TvZ has changed the most recently due to the queen change that has rendered hellion openings less than effective. Terrans are afraid to move them up as zergs have begun doing builds opening with 4-6 queens, optimizing creep spread. This has repopularized 1/1/1 banshee a bit. This match up has become cheesier on the terran end.

PvZ is the biggest matchup right now due to these races being the strongest...it generally comes down to lategame compositions where the zerg has mostly air based units (corruptors/brood lords) and a nice number of infestors. the protoss will have a deathball of collosi, archon, stalker, sometime a bit of sentry, some times a bit of zealot, high templar, and mothership. it often comes down to the mothership's vortex on the zerg air units to deal massive splash damage using high templars and archons. zergs are making good use of the neural parasite ability, taking away the protoss' collosi and mothership during engagements to give them an edge in battle.

TvP I haven't seen much of but generally the terran is going mass m/m/m with vikings while the protoss will go deathball generally without archons until a bit later in the game. the terran will add on ghosts eventually.

mirror match-ups i don't know that much. ZvZ has become less ling/bling/roach and more towards later game play. PvP is also a bit more late game and is quite mechanical. TvT I haven't watched barely any lately but is still most of the same marine/tank/medivac battles....

Something popular for zerg is a style most recently popularized by Symbol and Dimaga. Using overlord drops with lots of ling/bling and harass all over the map. This is generally a vP build, and it's a very swarmy style that leads to extremely exciting play.

In TvP I've noticed a bit of the terran going 1 rax expand into 2 gas 3 rax and then pressure with a stim timing push.

Also a fair bit of un-upgraded pure marine pressure just to try to contain the protoss.

Quote Originally Posted by Maniak
    From what I've been seeing in high level play...

TvZ has changed the most recently due to the queen change that has rendered hellion openings less than effective. Terrans are afraid to move them up as [COLOR="Red"]zergs have begun doing builds opening with 4-6 queens[/COLOR], optimizing creep spread. [COLOR="Blue"]This has repopularized 1/1/1 banshee a bit[/COLOR]. [COLOR="Purple"]This match up has become cheesier on the terran end.[/COLOR]

PvZ is the biggest matchup right now due to these races being the strongest...it generally comes down to lategame compositions where the zerg has mostly air based units (corruptors/brood lords) and a nice number of infestors. the protoss will have a deathball of collosi, archon, stalker, sometime a bit of sentry, some times a bit of zealot, high templar, and mothership. it often comes down to the mothership's vortex on the zerg air units to deal massive splash damage using high templars and archons. zergs are making good use of the neural parasite ability, taking away the protoss' collosi and mothership during engagements to give them an edge in battle.

TvP I haven't seen much of but generally the terran is going mass m/m/m with vikings while the protoss will go deathball generally without archons until a bit later in the game. the terran will add on ghosts eventually.

mirror match-ups i don't know that much. ZvZ has become less ling/bling/roach and more towards later game play. PvP is also a bit more late game and is quite mechanical. TvT I haven't watched barely any lately but is still most of the same marine/tank/medivac battles....

Something popular for zerg is a style most recently popularized by Symbol and Dimaga. Using overlord drops with lots of ling/bling and harass all over the map. This is generally a vP build, and it's a very swarmy style that leads to extremely exciting play.
    [COLOR="Red"]I noticed this a lot on the streams lately. If I were a zerg I think I'd be doing it too. Looks really cool and stops all early aggression except for....[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Blue"]One of my favorite builds, the one that got me started. The 1/1/1 except I go 1/1/2. I like harassing people and even winning with the 4 banshee pressure (w/cloak)[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Purple"]F*ck calling it cheese. If I don't build a barracks and a bunker in your base it's not cheese (cannons for toss). If I deny you scouting and you don't see my early double gas and dual starports. That's on you not on me (obviously not you Maniak but anyone who would cry about it being cheese). Get out a scan or overlord or observer and find out.[/COLOR]

Again, scouting is the key. I've started even using scans if I get denied good scouting. Just played a match scanned toss (I went 2 gas 3 rax) and saw he had 6 lots and 4 stalkers. I had combat shield and concussive shell, and knew my force could take his. I was right. I had planned on waiting a bit longer but once I saw I had to the advantage I had to move out or give him a chance to get a stronger force.

http://www.twitch.tv/ignproleague

This link is contained within Maniaks first link but this is the one I watch almost daily... It's disgusting that I probably watch this stream more than I watch anything else.

Banned

gstl.. gawd damn, sculp vs symbol on metropolis, what a sick game!

I went to bed right after Sculp's first game. I was very tired.

TSL is more of TDL (Team Drone Life). Their zerg line up is superb. I joked that Sculp beat his first opponent with 5 units. SCV, MULE, Marine, Tank, Medivac (which he did).

Sculp is quite the up and comer, and I think he might be the next big terran. It seems to me that NSH has put a lot of faith in him and is sending him out in good positions in all of their team league games.

Nice to see TSL win, that's who I had predicted.

National High School Star Richesly's Avatar

Everyone point and laugh at these kids, they are examples of people who have never played basketball or any sport in their life.

Quote Originally Posted by Richesly
    Everyone point and laugh at these kids, they are examples of people who have never played basketball or any sport in their life.

Ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Richesly

Starcraft is pretty much a sport itself... so. And you are dead wrong anyways, lots of these pro sc players are more athletic than average people. If you wanna poerform well at big events good stamina is needed, most pros goes to the gym for this reason.

Anyways it's like picking on basketball players for being dumb, some of them are and some are not.

Congratulations to WW.Ziktomini for defeating EG.Demuslim 2-1 in the WCS UK Nationals Finals.

He earned $6,000 and a paid trip to the 2012 Battle.net European Championships.

Demuslim earned $3,000 and a paid trip to the Euro championships.

The third player who earned a paid trip also went away with $1,350. That player was Infused.JonnyREcco.

I heard a rumor that JonnyREcco is going to sign with Team Dignitas, which makes sense because they lack zergs and for one of the biggest teams in e-sports, their SC2 line-up has lacked results as of late.