Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Now that Bynum is on Philly is he capable of putting up Peak Yao numbers?

Quote Originally Posted by Yung D-Will
    Mchale made this quote during last season, so do you think he'll improve his passing out of double teams throughout the season?
    He'd have to throughout the season since he'll now be the primary option on this 6'er team. Repetition makes improvement. How he reads his teammates as he familiarizes himself with them will also be important in making efficient passing decisions. I can see quite a few guys on this very athletic 6'er squad benefiting by cutting and getting the feed from Bynum. What I really wish Bynum would do would be to add a decent up-and-under type move to his game a-la McHale since that can be a double team breaker if used effectively.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Default Re: Now that Bynum is on Philly is he capable of putting up Peak Yao numbers?

Funny that this thread came up because I was thinking about Yao yesterday. I think people really forget just how good the damn guy was. If he was healthy and had better stamina to play more minutes he could have easily been a top 3 center of all time. His 25 ppg season was in 33 minutes a game. Shaq for example played 37-40 minutes in his prime to put up his big scoring numbers.

NBA rookie of the year Styles p's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
    Nick young and Richardson are decent , especially richardson having played in orlando is pretty prepared.

But Spencer Hawes is not the person you out next to Bynum.
    why not? hes a great high post passer and has a great mid range shot that means he wont be clogging up the paint for bynum. one thing spenc can't do though is guard stretch 4's hes too slow to close on them.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by Yung D-Will
    Mchale made this quote during last season, so do you think he'll improve his passing out of double teams throughout the season?
    I'm not sure. Bynum's inability to pass seemed to stem from an unwillingness. Bynum has always struck me, and many others, as a player preoccupied with his stats at the end of the game. He also has always struck me as a player who is confident in his abilities, many times tip toeing arrogance. Him not passing out of double teams isn't just a lack of skill or knowledge in terms of managing teams' defense. It's also him just simply not wanting to pass the ball out double/triple teams. He believes he can score against almost anyone or any number of opponents. Watch some games from last year, how he'd simply just try and out muscle the 4 arms attempting to strip him of the ball.

Bynum's lack of mobility in the post also aides in this. He isn't quick, and takes an awful amount of time to gather and position himself. He's slow to react, and many times I've seen him attempt to pass out double teams, the ball ended up either out of bounds or in the opponent's possession.

So, there's some aspects he can change (such as his willingness to actually pass the ball) and others he probably can't (his quickness). So, we'll just have to wait and see.

I rule the local playground Jax's Avatar

He's gonna have more time to visit Miami, if you know what I mean.

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Styles p
    why not? hes a great high post passer and has a great mid range shot that means he wont be clogging up the paint for bynum. one thing spenc can't do though is guard stretch 4's hes too slow to close on them.
    Ideally what you want is to just clear the lane for Bynum and let him go to work.It's very easy to help off someone like Hawes who hovers at around 12 feet.

Even if he's a great high passer, like Gasol, the off the ball plays aren't really what you want Bynum doing.

Also Bynum needs a ultra mobile defender to make up for his lack of quickness, he can protect the rim and defend the post but you need someone athletic to defend the P&R etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Rubio2Gasol
    Ideally what you want is to just clear the lane for Bynum and let him go to work.It's very easy to help off someone like Hawes who hovers at around 12 feet.

Even if he's a great high passer, like Gasol, the off the ball plays aren't really what you want Bynum doing.

Also Bynum needs a ultra mobile defender to make up for his lack of quickness, he can protect the rim and defend the post but you need someone athletic to defend the P&R etc etc.
    hopefully moultrie can turn into that guy.

Very good NBA starter

In all honesty I think he averages a shade under 20 pts, 10 boards and 2 blocks. I don't think his numbers will be all that different from the Lakers considering Philly is a team that likes to spread the ball.

AK47DR91
    Fan in the Stands (unregistered)

His scoring is going to have to go up a bit. Maybe not 25+ PPG but at least in the low 20's. The Sixers don't have any consistent scorers on the team.

I expect Bynum to get around 18 FGA, which would already be 5 more than he got last season.

I'm intrested in how Holiday adjusts with the change in pace.

Bynum's gonna rape the east.

FACT.

I don't follow the Sixers at all, but I do know when you have a great big man down low, you need shooters. Does Philly still have them (meeks and lou williams? I think they've signed to other teams).

Oh the topic of yao vs bynum, Bynum has the edge defensively mainly because he's more athletic, so rebounding and blocking are his advantage. Also, even though I really am not sure about this, I think Bynum might actually be slightly bigger than Yao width-wise (like how Shaq was bigger than Yao in that sense). Yao never had the physical frame to absolutely demolish people on the inside, whilst Bynum might.

So I think in terms of numbers, Bynum might get over Yao on rebounds and blocks, but I don't think he'll reach Yao's points.

f*ck I really miss Yao now from the Rockets, we are so crap without him

Quote Originally Posted by brantonli
    I don't follow the Sixers at all, but I do know when you have a great big man down low, you need shooters. Does Philly still have them (meeks and lou williams? I think they've signed to other teams).

Oh the topic of yao vs bynum, Bynum has the edge defensively mainly because he's more athletic, so rebounding and blocking are his advantage. Also, even though I really am not sure about this, I think Bynum might actually be slightly bigger than Yao width-wise (like how Shaq was bigger than Yao in that sense). Yao never had the physical frame to absolutely demolish people on the inside, whilst Bynum might.

So I think in terms of numbers, Bynum might get over Yao on rebounds and blocks, but I don't think he'll reach Yao's points.

f*ck I really miss Yao now from the Rockets, we are so crap without him
    replaced them with better shooters n.young,j.richardson,d.wright and jrue can shoot the 3.

Let's hope so, we need another dominant big besides dwight.

Quote Originally Posted by bfrombleacher
    Holy sh*t. Career 20/10 almost with 2 blocks a game.

Edit: and yes, playing injured for almost his entire career
    Huh? It's not even 20/10 rounded. It's 19/9.

Keep in mind that Amar'e Stoudemire averaged more rebounds during his and Yao's rookie years (same year).

Amar'e Stoudemire.

Let that sink in.