Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Can you dunk??

Default Re: Can you dunk??

Been able to dunk since 10 grade. So that's 15 years old. Only was 5-9 then but. 6-1 now. Genetically gifted vert. Never measured it but I estimate it would be close to 40. Former elite junior high jumper, never had the technique down so I never jumped as high as I should. Currently squatting 3x a week, bulking phase, when I recomp I should be jumping out of the gym.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

I'm 5'9 and half mexican/white...what do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    I'm 5'9 and half mexican/white...what do you think?
    Believe. Achieve. Ascend to GLORY.

Saw a basketball once

how high would you say you have to touch in order to dunk? i can touch 10'6 which puts me at a 34 inch vert, but i'm getting rim stuffed at 9'10. i can do 2 hand dunks on 9'5 though.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by willy_yep
    how high would you say you have to touch in order to dunk? i can touch 10'6 which puts me at a 34 inch vert, but i'm getting rim stuffed at 9'10. i can do 2 hand dunks on 9'5 though.
    I don't know man. If you can touch 10'6", that'd put you about eight inches above the rim on the 9'10'' goal you say you're getting stuffed on. Do you at least makes some dunks on 9'10''?

My max reach has been around 10'10'' over the years and I'd venture to say I usually don't get that high on my dunks. As such, I think it's safe to say that I've been able to dunk when I was just about as much over the rim as you on a 9'10'' rim.

Any videos of your attempts?

Quote Originally Posted by willy_yep
    You have to be at 10'8 at least and even then you will throw most of them back off the rim especially if you can't palm it. I would say 10'10 like Rake is the point to where you can consistently put them in. If you are a one leg jumper that helps too they are easier to put in when you are right at the cusp.

I was pretty close to where you were... I was hitting like 10'4 on the rims and wasn't even close to dunking on 10 ft. I kept throwing it off back rim on 9'7 rim with one hand (2 footed jumper) but obviously I was really close. I got one 2 hand dunk on the 9'7 where I just barely put it in and hung on the rim. I was probably hitting 10'2 with my 2 hand attempts so that would put me 7 inches over the 9'7 rim on my 2 hand attempts and 9 inches on my on my one hand attempts. I feel like if I was an inch higher I could have gotten over that hump of throwing them off back iron and dunked it almost every time... or at least half the time. That's where I got the 10 inch over number from to dunk consistently. And of course like I said, if you are 10" over jumping off one foot, you will dunk it more often than a 2 footed jumper 10" over the rim. I have a friend who is 10" over the rim on a good day and he can only put them in half the time on those days... When he was up around/over 12" over a few years ago he could throw it in easy. Here is a video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYxo...wfn4ARCg#t=167

I will try to get one up of where he is now so you can see the difference.

Saw a basketball once

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    I don't know man. If you can touch 10'6", that'd put you about eight inches above the rim on the 9'10'' goal you say you're getting stuffed on. Do you at least makes some dunks on 9'10''?

My max reach has been around 10'10'' over the years and I'd venture to say I usually don't get that high on my dunks. As such, I think it's safe to say that I've been able to dunk when I was just about as much over the rim as you on a 9'10'' rim.

Any videos of your attempts?
    i've dunked before on 10, but needed a lot of adrenaline to do it, and needed an alley oop. i havent played in a while, so im not sure if i can do it anymore. the dunks i did in the vid and on 9'10 were all outdoor, and i think i can jump higher on hardwood. also, they were off the dribble and the ball i was using was completely smooth. i also can't dunk off one foot on 9'5, but i'm touching 10'2 really easily.
    Last edited by willy_yep; 09-03-2014 at 11:46 PM.

Decent playground baller

you guys think they will raise the rims anytime soon? watched mamadou ndiaye play and he can dunk without jumping. makes me wonder how they lost, and why they dont just give the ball to him everytime.

NBA Superstar

My dunk confidence is about as bad as its been in well over 10 years. Two summers ago, I severely sprained my ankle twice in two months and combined with the fact I was approaching 30, I simply began wondering if my dunking days were supposed to be coming to an end.

Now, I'm officially in the "Dude, you should have just dunked that" zone. I still attack hard and explode off one foot but I'm afraid of failure - I don't believe I can do it - so I've just been laying everything up to be safe. Even when goofing around outside of games, I've dramatically reduced my dunk attempts because of the fear that I'll miss, or will have to hear I'm not getting as high as I used to. Of course, not practicing dunks only perpetuates the cycle.

On more than one occasion in the past month, I've laid one in only to hear some excitedly say on the sideline, "Woooo, I thought he was about to dunk that!" That's actually kind of helped my mindframe. I had a super, super weak dunk along the baseline against Lindsey Hunter's team a few weeks ago, but it was a casual flush I only attempted because the play was dead (I was whistled for a travel).

Following that game, with dead legs after two full runs, I back-rimmed a couple of attempts but my wrist was a healthy distance above the cylinder. An encouraging sign heading into the summer, where I tend to get in better playing shape and whatnot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rake2204
    My dunk confidence is about as bad as its been in well over 10 years. Two summers ago, I severely sprained my ankle twice in two months and combined with the fact I was approaching 30, I simply began wondering if my dunking days were supposed to be coming to an end.

Now, I'm officially in the "Dude, you should have just dunked that" zone. I still attack hard and explode off one foot but I'm afraid of failure - I don't believe I can do it - so I've just been laying everything up to be safe. Even when goofing around outside of games, I've dramatically reduced my dunk attempts because of the fear that I'll miss, or will have to hear I'm not getting as high as I used to. Of course, not practicing dunks only perpetuates the cycle.

On more than one occasion in the past month, I've laid one in only to hear some excitedly say on the sideline, "Woooo, I thought he was about to dunk that!" That's actually kind of helped my mindframe. I had a super, super weak dunk along the baseline against Lindsey Hunter's team a few weeks ago, but it was a casual flush I only attempted because the play was dead (I was whistled for a travel).

Following that game, with dead legs after two full runs, I back-rimmed a couple of attempts but my wrist was a healthy distance above the cylinder. An encouraging sign heading into the summer, where I tend to get in better playing shape and whatnot.
    i know what you mean. I've been dealing with a hamstring strain for the past 2 months. I'm a left footed jumper and it's my left leg that's injured. i can still get up high enough but my landings are still shaky so I've been forced to two foot jump most of the time now. I still have a pretty good two foot vert but it takes away all my opportunities for a dunk because the extra step allows the help to come over.

it takes a while for the confidence to come back, and I feel as though once it does come back, you usually injure yourself again and start that cycle over

Probably been a year since I played and a couple years since I've thrown a good dunk down but I'm starting to feel the itch again. I turn 25 this year so I figure the clock is ticking until father time starts to really interfere with my athleticism.

Finally started going to the gym and doing some real workouts and shootarounds with the goal of dunking this summer. My goal is to really throw one down in traffic this year.

I could dunk from when i was 17 till i was about 26. I was never an every single time i tried to dunk it was going in guy, but i was pretty consistently about 75% in non contested dunks(i never really tried to dunk on people) 29 now and carrying an extra few lbs now so cant do it anymore. Can barely grab the rim these days. Still block a few shots though.

Decent playground baller

Nope, and never could. I could grab the rim, but that is it.

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2
    i know what you mean. I've been dealing with a hamstring strain for the past 2 months. I'm a left footed jumper and it's my left leg that's injured. i can still get up high enough but my landings are still shaky so I've been forced to two foot jump most of the time now. I still have a pretty good two foot vert but it takes away all my opportunities for a dunk because the extra step allows the help to come over.

it takes a while for the confidence to come back, and I feel as though once it does come back, you usually injure yourself again and start that cycle over
    I'm in a similar position, but it's not hamstring, it's above it, like butt cheek. It doesn't hurt from playing, but it starts when I try to jump off my left leg. So I'm finishing my layups with as low pressure on my left leg as possible.

Last Sunday I went for a dunk of left leg thinking how it didn't hurt in a while so it must be gone and pain ****ed me so I switched it to layup which I missed and we lost the game mostly because of that...

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Burgz V2

Weird, I've honestly been dealing with a hamstring strain as well. Certainly not a serious injury, and one I hardly notice in regular life, but the moment I begin trying to stride out for a one-footed explosive takeoff, it feels like it wants to rip. For as non-severe as it feels, it's sure taking a while to heal itself.

Your second paragraph has a lot of truth to it as well, ha.