Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Most Disappointing Contest Dunker?

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    In what universe was the KIA dunk 'good'
    Were his others also bad? Was the Kia thing so unforgivable that it trumps everything else he did and how awful others have been? You're reaching so hard, you can be in Fantastic Four.

ej aka Ernie tha elevator Johnson don't count?

Great college starter chocolatethunder's Avatar

Larry Hughes and Clarence Weatherspoon were both horribly embarrassing.
    Last edited by chocolatethunder; 01-07-2014 at 07:38 PM.

Banned

Great call on Hughes. Shit was too awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    Were his others also bad? Was the Kia thing so unforgivable that it trumps everything else he did and how awful others have been? You're reaching so hard, you can be in Fantastic Four.
    His other dunks were good - but not good enough to put him over the other contestants. The KIA dunk COST him the contest IMO, and in the opinions of many of the voters who's vote mysteriously never made it into NBA/KIA's voting database. Who the hell voted Griffin first? Certainly not anyone who watched the dunk contest. Despite his other dunks being good and creative the other contestants that contest were actually throwing down some real innovative dunks and their final dunks were great. The KIA hood dunk? Pathetic, as bad as the sh*t Shannon Brown did.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by chocolatethunder
    Larry Hughes and Clarence Weatherspoon were both horribly embarrassing.
    I am with you in regards to Larry Hughes. However, in reference to Clarence Weatherspoon, I must respectfully disagree. I thought Weatherspoon had a really solid contest for its time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiqiqDFjQkM

Yes, some of dunks were standard, but I felt his style, flavor, and power enhanced them to a significant degree. That regular two-hand bounce dunk actually looked pretty sweet to me, with his head nearing the rim and whatnot. And his 360 cuff, in my opinion, is one of the most overlooked dunks in contest history.

Where would Clarence stand now if he had that contest in 2014? Probably not too impressive. But for '93? I'd hardly call his performance disappointing, let along horribly embarrassing. Perhaps you were thinking of fellow 76er Tim Perry?

why I even like Rondo CeltsGarlic's Avatar

How the hell Jomario Moon was disappointing? His first dunk is absolutely insane.
    2nd was weird because of the "tape" thing, but it was also a ridiculous jump.
    first dunk

Weatherspoon had a good dunk contest.

And the thread was about disappointing.

I think Brown takes the cake...hype on him was pretty massive going on and just wow...pathetic.

I guess you could say White, but I think most people who don't watch And1 stuff on youtube had no idea who he was.

If we want to talk about WORST dunk contestant of all time...that's easily Chris Jackson aka Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf.

Banned

Shannon Brown, even Obama was hyping him to destroy it

I have never been more embarassed for the NBA than when I saw the Blake Griffin dunk contest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41EFwuBqEUA

Can anyone really watch that and not cringe?
    Can anyone honestly watch this and not cringe?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCQkkWn3sKo

Blake's wasn't so bad. Hell, Dwight's wasn't so bad considering the whole performance. They did some impressive dunks. Blake's first dunk would've been insane if he did it first attempt, but his other two were nice and Dwight's sticker slap was gimmicky but nice too.

Honorable mention goes to Chris "Birdman" Andersen, even though he didn't really have any expectations at the time, two terrible performances

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYyXVnOKTMw

NBA Superstar

His other dunks were good - but not good enough to put him over the other contestants. The KIA dunk COST him the contest IMO, and in the opinions of many of the voters who's vote mysteriously never made it into NBA/KIA's voting database. Who the hell voted Griffin first? Certainly not anyone who watched the dunk contest. Despite his other dunks being good and creative the other contestants that contest were actually throwing down some real innovative dunks and their final dunks were great. The KIA hood dunk? Pathetic, as bad as the sh*t Shannon Brown did.
    I thought all four contestants in 2011 had pretty good first rounds (Griffin, JaVale McGee, Serge Ibaka, DeMar DeRozan). That said, I felt Blake Griffin was a worthy finalist based off of his performance on his first two dunks (the two-hand helicopter 360 and baseline backboard windmill).

As for the finals themselves, I'm not sure I can agree with you that his KIA dunk should have cost him the contest. Griffin's first finals dunk was pretty impressive (the one hand elbow dunk off the backboard). Meanwhile, JaVale McGee's dunk was solid, but more or less just a standard replication of something Larry Nance pulled off 20 years earlier (swing cuff reverse).

For his second dunk, Griffin did his car dunk which as admitted, was more or less a standard two-hand alley-oop, albeit over the hood of a car (which may be more than could be said for Gerald Green, who's winning dunk came over a knee-high bench). But for whatever it's worth, Griffin's finish was a relatively mediocre dunk by contest standards.

However, JaVale McGee topped Griffin's mediocrity, rubbing in a 360, then opting to replace it because it went down so lamely, before settling for a layup line off-the-backboard one hand slam with medium strength.

As such, I think Griffin earned his finals appearance (though I feel others had a case). And once in the finals, Griffin performed a very good dunk (the elbow) while his finals opponent, JaVale McGee, brought little to the table by comparison.

Here's a link to the last part of that dunk contest for reference (with part 5 of 5 in the sidebar: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtFDtTgHYww
    Last edited by Rake2204; 01-07-2014 at 08:14 PM.

I would say White. Dude was so hyped especially here and miss everything he tried in the contest.

Quote Originally Posted by Genaro
    I would say White. Dude was so hyped especially here and miss everything he tried in the contest.
    If only the NBA wasn't so stubborn early and gave him the dunk contest appearance about 5-6 years ago when he was with the Spurs. Might have been a different story then.

NBA Superstar

and the dunk itself was terrible, probably the worst contest-winning-dunk in the history of the dunk contest regardless of how staged/rigged the whole outcome was
    Apologies for repeatedly disagreeing, but final dunks from contest winners often have a history of being kind of lame. If it makes you feel any better, if that final round in 2011 were officially judged, and that KIA dunk received a 42 (which would have been the lowest score of the contest by two points), I still think Griffin would have won when combined with his elbow dunk (again, when pitted against McGee's two medium finals dunks).

Still, a quick history of lame contest-winning dunks:

2012 - Jeremy Evans' one hand dunk over Kevin Hart pretending to be a mailman (2:00): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uohl2cRobg

2007 - Gerald Green's windmill over a knee-high bench (5:35): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuMoznI5UKk

2004 - Fred Jones banking a contest-winning layup (4:06): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOyWBIoS5ow

1992 - Cedric Ceballos pretending he can't see on a standard two hand dunk (3:40): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDBDPbMswrY

1990 - Dominique Wilkins completing the same two-hand windmill he first did in the contest five years earlier (and continued to replicate in subsequent contests), edging a more creative Kenny Smith and leading to boo-birds (6:25): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDBDPbMswrY
    Last edited by Rake2204; 01-07-2014 at 08:41 PM.

James White by far.