Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Decent playground baller

Default Re: Does Jamal Crawford have "weird" handles?

Quote Originally Posted by OhNoTimNoSho
    To make the distinction between streetball ballhandlers and NBA ballhandlers and why one does not succeed as the other is simple.

Streetball ballhandlers are east-west dribblers. They can make lots of fancy moves and move side to side but as long as the defender shades them they cannot get to the bucket.

NBA ballhandlers are north-south ballhandlers. Their only goal is to get to the bucket. While being able to go side to side is useful its not necessary. The big part of this is the stop n go game/change of pace/ timing and rhythm, which incidentally, streetball players suck at since they are iso ball hogs.

Crawford sort of combines both but in the NBA generally there are few east-west ballhandlers as that is highly frowned upon by coaches.

And what Crawford excels at is baiting the defender into reaching for the ball or overplaying one direction or the other.. and he then makes them look foolish. The problem is, he usually does it side to side (as you mentioned) or ends up farther away from the basket. He has great moves, he just doesn't use them as effectively as other star PGs use their moves.

Thus why Irving and CP3 (along with many other players) are more successful with their moves off the dribble.

I rule the local playground

Crawford definitely has the handles....if u are a fan of the clippers u can't help but be excited with so many flashy players on ur team....

Irving got the handles too, but the scoring ability to back it up

Quote Originally Posted by bdreason
    Flashy, but overrated. I often see Jamal do 3 or 4 moves and end up with a semi-contested jumper or floater. On the other hand, there are players with far less fancy dribbling that get by their defender for higher percentage shots, using only one or two basic moves.

Less to do with his handles and more to do with him as a player. He's a better player now than he was when he was with the Knicks, but there were things he did better than he does now...like just play. He relies on those handles too much.

Certified ISHiot.

People calling Jamal's handle overrated... he's played 13 years in the NBA averaging 15 PPG. That is all.

Clipper Nation Soldier Clippersfan86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by StroShow4
    People calling Jamal's handle overrated... he's played 13 years in the NBA averaging 15 PPG. That is all.
    He's also been top 5 the entire time at shooting off the dribble pretty much. Prior to now with the Clippers 80+ percent of his shots are off dribble creation. Luckily now he can feast of Blake+CP3 double teams with the catch and shoot corner 3's and we don't gotta worry about turnovers as much.

Quote Originally Posted by OhNoTimNoSho
    To make the distinction between streetball ballhandlers and NBA ballhandlers and why one does not succeed as the other is simple.

Streetball ballhandlers are east-west dribblers. They can make lots of fancy moves and move side to side but as long as the defender shades them they cannot get to the bucket.

NBA ballhandlers are north-south ballhandlers. Their only goal is to get to the bucket. While being able to go side to side is useful its not necessary. The big part of this is the stop n go game/change of pace/ timing and rhythm, which incidentally, streetball players suck at since they are iso ball hogs.

Crawford sort of combines both but in the NBA generally there are few east-west ballhandlers as that is highly frowned upon by coaches.
    Terrific post. I dribble very similarly to Crawford, and I'm trying to work on getting to the bucket more. I've always had handles, but I'm still somewhat lacking in the intangibles that would allow me to get to the bucket on a regular basis.

Local High School Star No_Look604's Avatar

am I crazy to say I would prefer to watch Crawford, CP3 or Kyrie play then the league's MVP?

Something beautiful about them in the triple threat...not really needing a pick set every friggin time down the floor...shaking fools.

Local High School Star LakersForlife's Avatar

jamaal,AI,Kyrie best ball handlers ive seen

Very good NBA starter

the correct adjective is not "weird."

the correct adjective is "sick."

Local High School Star devin112's Avatar

How well would Jamal shoot if he only took good shots? I think he'd be one of the best shooters in the league. It's fun watching him dice up guys but sometimes I wish he just set up easier shots. When he plays off CP and gets a good pass, he's pretty damn good at knocking down those shots.

Learning to shoot layups

If Refs start correctly calling him for carrying, then he's out of this league in an instant

Certified ISHiot.

Quote Originally Posted by bingoa
    If Refs start correctly calling him for carrying, then he's out of this league in an instant
    This is what you think about when you watch Jamal Crawford dribble? I feel sorry for you. You're missing out.

How well would Jamal shoot if he only took good shots? I think he'd be one of the best shooters in the league. It's fun watching him dice up guys but sometimes I wish he just set up easier shots. When he plays off CP and gets a good pass, he's pretty damn good at knocking down those shots.
    True story. I don't see Crawford as one of these guys who can only shoot off the dribble (like Wade, Lebron, TMac, Cassell, etc). If he adapted his game to mostly a spot-shooter, or even went all-out and tried to become Rip Hamilton, I bet he could do it very well.

I hate his shot selection now though.

Banned

Yes. So does Kyrie Irving. It comes natural to them.

Players like Chris Paul and Manu have them too, but they only use it when they need to.

Quote Originally Posted by BuffaloBill
    Yes. So does Kyrie Irving. It comes natural to them.

Players like Chris Paul and Manu have them too, but they only use it when they need to.
    You're wrong.

...Bitch.