Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Very good NBA starter Round Mound's Avatar

Default Re: David Robinson or Tim Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Horatio33
    Duncan was better at running the floor. Barkley even said that Duncan is the best big man runner ever.
    [B]Nope David Was Faster, More Athletic, More Agil, Had More Speed, Had More Hops etc.

If You Actually Saw David Robinson in His Prime Before 1997 Injuries Like I Did, You

I'd prefer the Admiral since he's the better defender, and I wouldn't prefer to rely on a big as my primary scoring option. If I don't have a choice though and he has to be my offensive anchor, give me Duncan. As a couple of posters have said, his back to the basket game is more reliable in the playoffs than what Robinson gives you.

Quote Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
    D-Rob was obviously the better athlete.

Duncan was the better basketball player though, and I think that is an inarguable fact.
    Duncan is a really special basketball player. I don't see how anyone would choose Robinson over him. Perhaps if they were the draft together you can make arguments, but not having seen their NBA careers or their peaks.

The first NBA game I ever went to was Robinson's first game against the Knicks. There was a lot of hype around this game to see Robinson vs Ewing and at the Scalped two separate tickets to get in. We decided to try the seat that further away in hope of getting two extra seats....that work for about half of the first quarter until a whole group of several rows came in together. So we tried the other ticket. It was fifth row courtside and there were two seats, and as soon as we got to them Robinson caught a pass on the break at the foul line and lifted up and just about bent halfway backwards. Ewing was in the lane and just turned and walked away. Robinson rocketed forward and just hammered dunk home and my friend damn nearly lost his mind. Madison Square Garden was buzzing for like five minutes afterwards.

Duncan in the top 5-10 range and Robinson is in the 30-35 range.

So.... Just remember that and you'll know the better player between the two

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SacJB Shady
    How about that 2 footer that went in and out over Battier for the tie?
    Messing up for 2 seconds is not the same as regressing for whole games or series.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsmoke
    Duncan in the top 5-10 range and Robinson is in the 30-35 range.

So.... Just remember that and you'll know the better player between the two
    Name 10 players better than peak Robinson. Name 30 players with a better career.

Quote Originally Posted by moe94
    Name 10 players better than peak Robinson.
    Shaq, MJ, Wilt, Kareem, Magic, Lebron, Kobe, Hakeem, Russell, Oscar, Moses, and Dr. J.

Robinson is definitely in the 17-22 range.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Myth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by aj1987
    Shaq, MJ, Wilt, Kareem, Magic, Lebron, Duncan, Kobe, Hakeem, Russell, Oscar, Moses, and Dr. J.

Robinson is definitely in the 17-22 range.
    Fixed.

2003 Duncan played basketball better than almost any player in history. It's not about 'ability', stats, or even the fact that he led a team without another All-Star to the title. It's about the overall picture of how you play the game - it's the same reason peak Walton is so highly regarded by fans. Peak Duncan is perfection in basketball form, the ideal example of how you should play the game if you want your team to win. Offense, defense, efficiency, playing within the team concept yet taking over when needed... he had it all.

Robinson was a basketball titan and is quite underrated (I personally feel he's much higher than the "35-40 range", couldn't give an exact number though), but to compare his peak to the basketball masterpiece that were Duncan's best seasons is unfair.

One would be hard pressed to find a better athlete than DRob - speed, athleticism, strength but a basketball player involves a lot more than just the physical. The difference between them is in the intangibles - mental, psychological.

For DRob, basketball was not the end-all, be-all. God/his charity work came before basketball. He had a lot of other interests - the drive, competitiveness, hunger that TD has for basketball is not as visible.

For Duncan, besides his video games and family, he doesn't seem involved in much else like DRob (plays musical instrument, very bright, etc.). I am surprised at TD's hunger though - 16 years and counting and he still comes out fit and ready for another season. He just does whatever the team needs. I can't ever imagine him scoring (or trying to score) 71 points in a game. His post game is also more suited for the playoffs than DRob's face up game.

Honestly, David Robinson got dominated by Olajuwon in the playoffs. But do you think Hakeem does the same to Duncan? It was something along the lines of averaging 40 points for a series? That was a career defining low for the Admiral.

Quote Originally Posted by imdaman99
    Honestly, David Robinson got dominated by Olajuwon in the playoffs. But do you think Hakeem does the same to Duncan? It was something along the lines of averaging 40 points for a series? That was a career defining low for the Admiral.
    Hakeem was a bad boy.

Quote Originally Posted by Myth
    Fixed.
    Arguable though. That's why I didn't include Timmy.

Patrick Ewing was better.

Damn...I know Duncan is the more accomplished player...and mentally stronger...but it is DAMN hard to have watched Robinson play, in his prime, and seen the stuff he did and not want to rate him the best center ever. I mean...I know he's not...but when played well...this guy dominated on both ends of the court like no other center. He just seemed to lack something upstairs.

I still think that he just didn't have the pieces around him that Duncan had and going up against prime Hakeem and later on Shaq did some damage to his confidence. But man, he had the most physical talent and tools of any center I've ever seen.