Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Default Re: Putting away the myth that Kobe is a better midranger shooter than MJ

Quote Originally Posted by Money 23
    God, you're dumb. You don't simply take away the percentages from those two season
    MJ got better at shooting from distance every season in the league starting in 1990.

You don't take the inflated percentages, but you give him a mean or median average of what he shot in 1990, 1991, 1992, 1993, and 1998 from distance. Use that for the two seasons in '96 and '97 where he shot from the shortened line, what he would've shot from the normal distance.

Which is only a ruler length closer, and you have the accurate percentage. MJ would've shot around 30 - 33% from the normal three point line.

Much the same as Kobe. There is a difference though, it doesn't mean MJ's as good from 3. Kobe shoots it more, so his percentage dips. Having watched them, Kobe is the superior player from deep. He has better and more consistent range.

With that said MJ is easily the better and more consistent mid range shooter. Eye test folks. No bias either way, just truth.

Pathetic. Much like Jordans % with the real line.

Samurai Swoosh

Default Re: Putting away the myth that Kobe is a better midranger shooter than MJ

Quote Originally Posted by eliteballer
    Pathetic. Much like Jordans % with the real line.
    He shot 38% in 1990
    He shot 31% in 1991
    He shot 35% in 1993

How is that pathetic? It's moot anyway, we all know bailing the defense out and shooting dumb / lower percentage shots wasn't his game.

That's why he was a better offensive player and better / more consistent scorer than Kobe.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

"Mid" Range?

That's definitely MJ.

Anything even slightly further than that is Kobe.

Championship or bust Cali Syndicate's Avatar

For those saying they've never heard this, Tim Legler called Kobe possibly the greatest midrange shooter of all time. I don't agree but there's one. A notable guy as well.

SAY NO TO RENT SEEKING

Dirk is a better midrange shooter than Kobe.

Quote Originally Posted by Cali Syndicate
    For those saying they've never heard this, Tim Legler called Kobe possibly the greatest midrange shooter of all time. I don't agree but there's one. A notable guy as well.
    Neither Jordan nor Kobe has any case for being the best midrange shooter of all time.

Quote Originally Posted by DatAsh
    Neither Jordan nor Kobe has any case for being the best midrange shooter of all time.
    actually jordan does, how else was he still the best player in the league at age 35?

Quote Originally Posted by Derivative
    actually jordan does, how else was he still the best player in the league at age 35?
    Because his combined skill set - which included his midrange game - was still better than that of anyone else in the league.

wut?

   

Quote Originally Posted by Derivative
    Putting away the myth that Kobe is a better midranger shooter than MJ
    kobe is still a long ways from reaching MJ's level, but i gotta say that you sound a little angry about all this, dude.

just saying, is all.

Quote Originally Posted by lakerspng
    MJ has always been considered a better midrange shooter, which he is.

Kobe has been considered to be a better long range shooter, which he is.
    +1

College superstar

The other night I got bored, so I went on basketballreference.com and looked up career shooting numbers for Jordan and Kobe.

Taking 3p shots out of the equation (I wanted to see if Jordan was really that more efficient than Kobe with shooting, or if Kobe just took more 3s), Jordan shot about 51% for his career while Kobe shot 48%.

With 3s, the "difference" increases, as Jordan's % goes down a touch (Not a good 3p shooter), but Kobe's goes down quite a bit cuz he takes so many 3s. Though it should be noted that Kobe's 3p percentage is about 36% (if my memory serves correctly) which makes it points-wise just as efficient, if no moreso, than Jordan's 51% non-3p.

I'm not making any sort of inferences, I was just bored. Figured I'd throw that out since the convo is similar

Decent college freshman Calabis's Avatar

Tex Winter:

Some people say Kobe is a better shooter but Michael really developed as a shooter as he went along. I don't know if Kobe is a better shooter than Michael was at his best."