Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Dunking on everybody in the park

Default Re: I didnt make my High School Basketball Team?

Didnt know this thread would get somuch publicity!

Time to answer some questions...

First:Im not stupid, like some of u guys say. I got into U of Michigan, with a 3.87 gpa and 34 ACT score

Like i said, im not planning to play bball in college, it was just a big part of my adolescent life, and obv, i enjoyed playing it.

Im not too mad about not making varsity bball, got over most of it, still think about it in the shower tho

Im prob playing aau in the spring

I always enjoyed AAU a lot more

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by TSFP
    I always enjoyed AAU a lot more
    It seems a little more accessible nowadays. In contrast, when I played AAU, near the beginning of the millennium, I was not much of a fan. I mean, I'm glad I did it, but the tryouts and practices were torturous, a lot of the coaches seemed really sketchy, no one came to your games, no one cared about the results, and the squads were all built like regional all-star teams so my role was not what it was when I'd go back to my school and play.

I look back now and I'm glad I opted to play AAU ball, and I know it helped my game, but it wasn't very pleasant to me at the time.

Here, a good HS team blows out a D3 JV team by 52. I think OP may be able to compete at that D3 team's level.

http://pioneers.marietta.edu/schedule.aspx?schedule=96

I rule the local playground Birmingham1955's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ace23
    Here, a good HS team blows out a D3 JV team by 52. I think OP may be able to compete at that D3 team's level.

http://pioneers.marietta.edu/schedule.aspx?schedule=96
    That isn't just a good high school team. It features #1 player in the country, future #1 NBA draft pick, and scouts say possible the best recruit of the decade in Andrew Wiggins.

Quote Originally Posted by Birmingham1955
    That isn't just a good high school team. It features #1 player in the country, future #1 NBA draft pick, and scouts say possible the best recruit of the decade in Andrew Wiggins.
    True, but the team is still ranked only #28 in the nation by Maxpreps. Nothing too special.

Local High School Star

115 pounds, 5'6-5'8. Unless ure skilled like muggsy your just way too small and light to be playing basketball

Quote Originally Posted by johndeeregreen
    By no means is D-3 elite level basketball, but you don't make a D-3 team just because you really have a passion for the game. Talent isn't optional. If the guy can't make his HS varsity team as a senior, he's not going to be a collegiate level player the next year.
    See San Diego State's Deshawn Stevens.

National High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by blood yes
    Ehh, coach wouldn't let me be a practice player, but he let me be e team manager. I guess it's cause it's my last year of high school and he felt sorry for me....

Anyways, he told me I would get to practice with the varsity team, and if someone has grade problems or is injured, I can play limited minutes in the games. I get my own jersey tho, and I chose 23.

Things aren't so bad I guess, but now I'm worried people are gonna shit on me and ridicule me cause I'm the manager
    You know what, the exact same thing happened to me. Except, I was 5'4 and 105 lbs and Indian. I played JV as a junior and did okay. The coach of JV was kinda conservative and I was a full speed open court pg. Even though I was much much better than the other pg he played us both about the same amount of minutes because the coach preferred slowing down the game.

When we had our annual JV vs. Varsity game I busted the varsity for 27 points on 7 threes etc. The varsity coach guaranteed me a starting spot as a senior.

Then, he got into an argument later that year with the administration and got fired. In came a new coach. I knew I was screwed. Even at the open gyms before the tryouts he always kept talking to this one tall skinny (6'5) white guy that played volleyball (could dunk easily) to try to convince him to join the team. He barely even acknowledged me.

Tryout happened. I did okay, but the tryouts weren't really about any sort of game skills. Just drills like dribbling, man to man etc. I did as well as anyone, but it is hard to show my true game management, and point guard abilities on those drills.

Anyways, I still didn't expect to get cut. I've never not been one of the best players at any level. Myself, and my best friend got cut. I was in shock. We went to his place and put on that Lincoln Park song, In the End, and just cried. We really didn't know what to do. We decided to go back to school that day to just shoot some jumpers and figure out what to do with our lives. Per the most random chance the coach was there and he was struggling to take the balls back to his car (two ball bags or something). We bit our lips, said how much we hate him to each other, but said eff it let's go help him. We went over to help him and he said, I know you guys played your hearts out and I appreciate your effort, even if you didn't make the cut. I could use some help this year, so do you guys want to stay on as managers, and practice players if we need them.

We almost cried as he said this since we've never been 'manager' level players or even really 'bench' players. But, it was our last year and we loved hoops. It was our life. We agreed. Practice started, and I usually outplayed the pg that made the team quite easily. The coach kept with him though. On the third game of the season the starting point guard severely got hurt and broke his wrist. I was asked to step in. I did, and we went on a 16 game winning streak. To this day, the longest of our school. We made the tourney, beat the team with Trent Edwards (now in the NFL), and the team with Brandon Worthy etc. We lost winning the end of the year tournament when our best player crumbled under pressure. Down 49-48 and he gets fouled with 1 second left. He misses both free throws. This guy was a Steph Curry type shooter the whole year. Set records in tres made etc. I'll never forgot the year though. It was incredible. I wrote my college entrance essay about one of our games.

o()xxx[{::::::::::::> SourPatchKids's Avatar

gud read

Banned

He would have made it on my D-III school. Though, I don't know if he would enjoy losing 25 games a season.

CP3&BG&JxOVER&DJ&MB&JJ beastmode's Avatar

live ur dream

Decent playground baller sodapop's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by blood yes
    As I am writing this, tears are coming out of my eyes, and I'm about to CRY. I am in 12th grade, and I am 5'6-5'8, 110-115 pounds, asian point guard. I played jv as a junior last year, and got lots of minutes, and coach promised me I would be playing Varisty as a senior if i practiced. I practiced FOUR TO SEVEN hours a day, playing basketball. I sacrificed SCHOOL GRADES for this. I would be waking up at FOUR to play basketball. But at tryouts, guys who are just athletic and black make the team, when they give no effort, practice once a week, and cant remeber the plays.

Its not fair, is it cause im asian? I practiced a lot more than the other guys, and gave a lot of effort, I communicated, had a postive attitude, showed heart, leadership, helped people when they were stuck, I made good passes that WERNT flashy, i played TIGHT Defense on guys 3-4 inches taller than me (my school is really good at bball, we are top 10 in the state, and our average point guard height is 5'10).

Is it because I was too short? I seriously felt like choking coach when he didnt call my name. Should I ask him to give me another chance?
    I completely understand your situation. I also was a 5'6 point guard in high school. I worked hard during the summer & early fall months on my game. Whenever or wherever there was a pick up game in my area, I made sure I was there - wearing my old Chuck All Star Converse and ankle weights. My freshman yr. in high school I made the varsity team and lettered that year. Freshmen yr. to my senior yr., I was the starting PG on the team. There were only two whites on the team and I was one of them. I had to fight hard to get there. Also, I studied and played against my opponents during the off season. Always stay a step ahead of your opponent. Asian, black or white, tall, fat, skinny or short? It doesn't matter. The conditioning of the body & mind and experience is the answer to your question. BTW, the JV basketball program is awesome! There's nothing wrong with JV basketball. It's a great achievement.. I knew a few classmates who couldn't make the JV basketball team.

GSW Fan Since the 90s Cleverness's Avatar

Not sure if you still check this thread, but here's a tip: find a lot of friends/classmates to play bball with. If y'all get along really well, then maybe you can someday join a rec league together. If you live in a high(ish) populated city, they may have several rec leagues with many different skill levels.

NBA Superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Cleverness
    Not sure if you still check this thread, but here's a tip: find a lot of friends/classmates to play bball with. If y'all get along really well, then maybe you can someday join a rec league together. If you live in a high(ish) populated city, they may have several rec leagues with many different skill levels.
    Truth. Basketball is a beautiful game in this regard. There's tons of opportunities for anyone to play whenever they want. It's very accessible. I know a ton of folks who did not play high school ball who now play merely for recreation and exercise, and they love it.