Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

Default Re: ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS: Brooklyn Nets Edition

Quote Originally Posted by bagelred
    It's August 1st!!! No draft, signings done, no Summer League. Two months of nothingness......so it's time to do some ANALYSIS!!! One team at a time!!!

A brand new series which is not similar to any other sports websites idea....called....... ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS.

So let's go through the league alphabetically, shall we?

Previous teams:

Atlanta Hawks: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=309213
    Boston Celtics: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=309651

Today's team?

[COLOR="Silver"]THE BROOKLYN NETS

PG - Williams/Livingston/Taylor
    SG - Johnson/Terry/Anderson
    SF - Pierce/Kirilenko/Shengelia
    PF - Lopez/Blatche/Plumlee
    C - Garnett/Evans/Teletovic

Head Coach - Jason Kidd
    General Manager - Billy King
    [/COLOR]

1. Nets trade for KG, Pierce, and Terry. Brilliant trade or Skeptical?

2. Which Brooklyn Nets player do you consider the "X Factor" for this seasons success?

3. TRUE or FALSE: Jason Kidd was a smart hire as Head Coach.

4. Chemistry, Defense, or Health: Which of these 3 will be the biggest challenge for the Nets?

5. TRUE or FALSE: The Brooklyn Nets will make the Eastern Conference Finals this season.

You can elaborate on your answers.

1) Like almost everything in life, the trade probably falls somewhere between something I'd consider Brilliant, and something I'm skeptical of. But if I'm a baseball style arbitrator and have to pick one or the other, I'd go toward brilliant.
    Pierce and Garnett aren't long for this world, so cap space wise they don't kill you. You have to swallow JET's deal, but otherwise it's basically two late first rounders for a shot to really contend for at least next year, maybe two. I'm fine with that from a Net's perspective. And I'm a Celtic fan, and frankly I'm ok with it from there end too. You hope you get a second good pick if this team melts down physically, but you're adding young cheap assets at the end of the first round regardless. They had no title run left in that roster.

2) I lean toward Deron. I saw him twice last year in person. Once in February against the Heat, and he looked like me. Just not in great shape. Mostly relying on jumpers and bully tactics. Then again in the classic Bulls Nets playoff games, where he looked like a totally different player, although it didn't end well, he just looked so much better. He's gotta be the best player on this team night to night. The game isn't played inside out enough anymore for it to be Lopez. He's gonna be surrounded by weapons on offense. KG is a classic Pick and Pop option. Deron Williams has to at least be on the fringe of the MVP conversation this year, sort of the way Tony Parker was last year, for this to totally be a success.

3) I love Jason Kidd, but I'm gonna say no. And I didn't like it before the trade, and after the trade it seems almost silly. First, I'm a little suspicous of truely great players as coaches, especially ones as intuitive as Kidd. It was really rough for Magic. Whereas guys like Larry and Russell, who were a little more technique based, seem to do better. But it's more the midlevel career grinders who seem to make great coaches out of the former players. With all the money they spent, I'da been inclined to chase a big name. But perhaps take someone with a better resume. Brian Shaw I really liked. So along with Kidd not being a great fit in my mind anyway, now you're combining this roster with a coach that's never set a lineup. I'm rooting for him, but I don't think it's a great situation. Before the trade it made some sense from a marketing standpoint. And perhaps the team could grow with him. Now it doesn't look good to me at all.

4) Health I think is the gimme here. But this team looks to have enough depth with AK behind both Pierce and Garnett, to at least cut the minutes for those guys. And honestly I think this group fits together pretty nice. JJ and PP maybe are a little more ball dominant than wings you'd typically want with a ball heavy PG like Deron. But they also will allow Deron to come off screens and play a little without having used his dribble. JJ in particular is a very good facilitator. And they spread the floor well, and have good size. Combined with AK, they may not be stoppers, but they give you a lot of good bodies to throw at Lebron come playoff time. And Garnett couldn't fit better as a player next to Lopez and Deron. Pick and Pop with Deron. Spacing for Deron off the bounce. Spacing for Brooke on the block. And he helps so much of Brooke's defensive liabilities.
    You can make a case for some concern of personality clash between KG, who is a sociopath, and Lopez, who's basically a 7-2 third grader. And even Deron who wilted under the intensity of Jerry Sloan type coach, and now KG is going to bring some of that to the floor, with no time to grown into it. Pierce may be a little pouty, or he may come out with something to prove.

5) I won't say yes or no, but they're right there with the Heat, Indy, and Bulls. I have no issue saying those are without question the four best teams in the east. They're certainly a cut above everyone else. ECF is mostly dependant on how things fall.

AK47 is being paid under the table. Russian mafia style.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharmer
    AK47 is being paid under the table. Russian mafia style.
    Maybe he just wanted a billionaire countryman as a friend?

Skeptical. An expensive move for a possible broken toy.

2. Which Brooklyn Nets player do you consider the "X Factor" for this seasons success?

Kevin Garnett. If he is healthy, they have a chance to beat the Heat.

True. a Nets Legend, he has the hometown backing. A true court general, transition from player to coach would be easier.

4. Chemistry, Defense, or Health: Which of these 3 will be the biggest challenge for the Nets?

health. chemistry is not an issue, with veteran players aboard, gelling will be easier. defense too is much improved with KG and Kirilenko on board.

5. TRUE or FALSE: The Brooklyn Nets will make the Eastern Conference Finals this season.

false. they got together too late. they had a chance last year, when Rose was out and the Pacers were weaker. now Pacers are scarier with a stronger bench and Rose is back. no way in hell they beat either for a chance to meet the Heat in the ECF.

Local High School Star

No draft, signings done, no Summer League. Two months of nothingness......so it's time to do some ANALYSIS!!! One team at a time!!!

A brand new series which is not similar to any other sports websites idea....called....... ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS.

So let's go through the league alphabetically, shall we?

Previous teams:

Atlanta Hawks: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=309213
    Boston Celtics: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=309651

Today's team?

[COLOR="Silver"]THE BROOKLYN NETS

PG - Williams/Livingston/Taylor
    SG - Johnson/Terry/Anderson
    SF - Pierce/Kirilenko/Shengelia
    PF - Lopez/Blatche/Plumlee
    C - Garnett/Evans/Teletovic

Head Coach - Jason Kidd
    General Manager - Billy King
    [/COLOR]

You can elaborate on your answers.

1. Brilliant!!! They got tons of talent and gave nothing away, who cares about draft picks that wont amount to much. With the trades at the very least it made the nets a team that needs to be in the conversation for contender and thats all that you can hope for. Before prok. They were a bottom feeder franchise, 3 years later they are contenders, whoa.

2. X factor is williams. People forget that at times he looks like the best pg in the league. If anyone was to have a great season, i would say his would be the most impactful.

3. I admit that kidd was a risky decision but it was a low risk high reward decision. If kidd ist two wet behind the ears then lawrence frank will have a more vocal role ad they will barely skip a beat, but what if Kidd is as much of a genius on the sideline that he was on the court? Big payoff.

4.Health is the only thing that can stop them. There are no super selfish players so they will all be in win now mode. Also they are all above average defenders so they should be around 10th in league defense.

5.true they will be in the eastern conf finals

Quote Originally Posted by INDI
    1. Brilliant!!! They got tons of talent and gave nothing away, who cares about draft picks that wont amount to much. With the trades at the very least it made the nets a team that needs to be in the conversation for contender and thats all that you can hope for. Before prok. They were a bottom feeder franchise, 3 years later they are contenders, whoa.

2. X factor is williams. People forget that at times he looks like the best pg in the league. If anyone was to have a great season, i would say his would be the most impactful.

3. I admit that kidd was a risky decision but it was a low risk high reward decision. If kidd ist two wet behind the ears then lawrence frank will have a more vocal role ad they will barely skip a beat, but what if Kidd is as much of a genius on the sideline that he was on the court? Big payoff.

4.Health is the only thing that can stop them. There are no super selfish players so they will all be in win now mode. Also they are all above average defenders so they should be around 10th in league defense.

5.true they will be in the eastern conf finals
    Let me guess, you're a Nets fan?

Local High School Star

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    Let me guess, you're a Nets fan?
    All things Brooklyn for me. That's my hometown so the moment I knew they were moving there is when I chose them as my new team.

10th is not unrealistic, you only have around 6 great defensive teams (heat, pacers, bulls, thunder, grizz, spurs) am I correct? That still leaves room for 3 other teams to be ahead of them. They have KG, AK47, Reggie Evans and Alan Anderson, all are well above average defenders and then you have a bunch of veterans that now how to play as well as length. Whats there not to like about their defense?
    Last edited by INDI; 08-21-2013 at 08:59 PM.

NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

Top 10 in defense seems right. I would say 7th. They were fourth in least amount of points allowed last season and an abysmal 18th in defensive rating. The addition of Kevin and AK should put us in the top 10. Hopefully KG makes Brook a defensive beast. If that happens, 7th is realistic.

Skeptical and stupid
    kirlenko.
    FALSE
    Health. too many old bagz in tha set
    5. TRUE or FALSE: The Brooklyn Nets will make the Eastern Conference Finals this season. TRIPLE FALSE

   

whoa, nice! it's hard to know when a decent thread will pop up in this wretched hive of scum and villainy.

anyway, seems like boozehound and thorp pretty much nailed it. what else is there to add? i say enjoy the ride... try not to freak out if / when it comes up a little short.

as a nets fan, this will be the first season in years that should be truly fascinating. last year i didn't like the mix of parts from the very beginning... could barely keep my eyes open half way through the season.

Quote Originally Posted by It's A VC3!!!
    Top 10 in defense seems right. I would say 7th. They were fourth in least amount of points allowed last season and an abysmal 18th in defensive rating. The addition of Kevin and AK should put us in the top 10. Hopefully KG makes Brook a defensive beast. If that happens, 7th is realistic.
    I'm sure Brook, who responds awful to being yelled at will respond great to KG who isn't a sociopath or anything.

http://nba.si.com/2013/08/26/offseas...sct=nba_t11_a2

Every other selection has been dealt in total or via the right for a trade partner to take the Nets’ pick if it’s higher than its own. Here’s the breakdown:

First round: No pick. The Hawks can swap picks with the Nets as part of last year’s Joe Johnson deal, and the lesser of the two picks is now owed to Boston from the Garnett-Pierce-Wallace trade.
    Second round: No pick. It was traded to Boston (along with the rights to JaJuan Johnson) in 2011 for the rights to MarShon Brooks. Philadelphia now owns this pick.

First round: The Hawks can swap picks with the Nets as part of the Johnson deal.
    Second round: No pick. It was traded to Utah for Mehmet Okur in 2011.

First round: No pick. It was traded to Boston in the Garnett-Pierce-Wallace deal.
    Second round: The Clippers can swap picks with the Nets as part of the the Evans sign-and-trade deal last year. (The Clippers lose the ability to swap second-round picks if their own choice falls in the 56-60 range.)

First round: The Celtics can swap picks with the Nets as part of the Garnett-Pierce-Wallace deal.
    Second round: No pick. It was traded to Atlanta in the Johnson deal.

First round: No pick. It was traded to Boston in the Garnett-Pierce-Wallace deal.
    Second round: Brooklyn has this selection.

how is that possible?

i thought you cant traded first rounders 2 years in a row?

Quote Originally Posted by chips93
    how is that possible?

i thought you cant traded first rounders 2 years in a row?
    Every other year they trade places, still have a pick, just will be the worse of their's and the Celtics and Hawks.

If Nets don't win a title this might be remembered very badly in retrospect. It will be a total second guess but that never stopped anyone before.

NBA rookie of the year It's A VC3!!!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    I'm sure Brook, who responds awful to being yelled at will respond great to KG who isn't a sociopath or anything.
    How do you know brooks responds awful to being yelled at? In my years of watching brook play as a net, he's never been yelled at. plus, brook is not the guy to flip out. especially if kg is yelling at him. wow, you really try to reach for ANYTHING negative even when there's nothing to reach for when it comes to the nets.