Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6789101112 ... LastLast

Default Re: The Last Of Us Hype

Quote Originally Posted by Dictator
    No skyrim or uncharted 3 in your top 10?

gtfo
    I find Skyrim to be really overrated. Huge world and lots of shit to do, but none of it was very fun or interesting. Really boring plot with boring monotone characters, clunky gameplay...just couldn't get into it.

NBA sixth man of the year Thorpesaurous's Avatar

So I was watching a podcast on YouTube last night that was basically an hour of these four guys waxing poetic about this game.

They touched on a lot of interesting stuff. Talked a lot about the quality, about the level of storytelling, about specific moments. It was cool to see them talking about things that others didn't experience, like actually getting killed by the guards in Boston, waiting long enough to have the Doctor attack you at the end, and actually looking at the items in Ellie's backpack during the winter level.

But the thing I wanted to bring up was that they did say that single player DLC is on it's way. They were positive about it. Then they spend some time hypothesizing about what it may be.

The easy answer is more Joel and Ellie. There's certainly time lapses in the story where they could add more content.
    The second easiest seemed to be pre-Boston Joel. Joel and Tess the smugglers. Or Joel The Hunter, which he hints at when he says he's "been on both sides" of the attacks.
    One of them suggested Joel just after the fall. Joel and his brother right after Sara dies, and the stretch of time that led up to their falling out.
    Then there were a couple that I thought sounded great. Henry and Sam. Something happened with Henry and his little bro before meeting up with Joel and Ellie. He had a group. They got seperated. We know they were being pressed by the militia group near them. They were close but in hiding. And they had a plan to get out of town. And they have a mother who they were still talking about as alive. There's a lot of meat there to work with. Plus they're a pair similar to Joel and Ellie, so the dual take cover mechanic would port over really easily.
    And Ish. The Ish story was obviously well written out. The whole thing is layed out in the notes you pick up along the way. And it's a really cool, heartbreaking story. And one that obviously contains a fair amount of combat, and some stealth, as Ish goes into hiding in the sewers. My only issues here would be that we already know how it plays out. And that as the player you'd pretty much have to die to end the campaign.

Then there were a couple more esoteric theories that were thrown out there based on some inside info. First, apparently in the early incantations of the game, there was a dog companion. There's a little nod to it apparently early on when Joel and Tess go through the little outsider comunity, and the guy tells Joel that all those dogs are sold already. So perhaps something using the already tinkered with Dog companion. Either with Joel, or fresh.

And the other thing was that apparently the game's early concept art featured a ton of San Francisco imagery. So they were theorizing that perhaps we could see a completely fresh story, shorter obviously, coming down the west coast. This is simply assuming that some layouts for San Fran had already been assembled based on the concept art.

Interesting stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
    So I was watching a podcast on YouTube last night that was basically an hour of these four guys waxing poetic about this game.

They touched on a lot of interesting stuff. Talked a lot about the quality, about the level of storytelling, about specific moments. It was cool to see them talking about things that others didn't experience, like actually getting killed by the guards in Boston, waiting long enough to have the Doctor attack you at the end, and actually looking at the items in Ellie's backpack during the winter level.

But the thing I wanted to bring up was that they did say that single player DLC is on it's way. They were positive about it. Then they spend some time hypothesizing about what it may be.

The easy answer is more Joel and Ellie. There's certainly time lapses in the story where they could add more content.
    The second easiest seemed to be pre-Boston Joel. Joel and Tess the smugglers. Or Joel The Hunter, which he hints at when he says he's "been on both sides" of the attacks.
    One of them suggested Joel just after the fall. Joel and his brother right after Sara dies, and the stretch of time that led up to their falling out.
    Then there were a couple that I thought sounded great. Henry and Sam. Something happened with Henry and his little bro before meeting up with Joel and Ellie. He had a group. They got seperated. We know they were being pressed by the militia group near them. They were close but in hiding. And they had a plan to get out of town. And they have a mother who they were still talking about as alive. There's a lot of meat there to work with. Plus they're a pair similar to Joel and Ellie, so the dual take cover mechanic would port over really easily.
    And Ish. The Ish story was obviously well written out. The whole thing is layed out in the notes you pick up along the way. And it's a really cool, heartbreaking story. And one that obviously contains a fair amount of combat, and some stealth, as Ish goes into hiding in the sewers. My only issues here would be that we already know how it plays out. And that as the player you'd pretty much have to die to end the campaign.

Then there were a couple more esoteric theories that were thrown out there based on some inside info. First, apparently in the early incantations of the game, there was a dog companion. There's a little nod to it apparently early on when Joel and Tess go through the little outsider comunity, and the guy tells Joel that all those dogs are sold already. So perhaps something using the already tinkered with Dog companion. Either with Joel, or fresh.

And the other thing was that apparently the game's early concept art featured a ton of San Francisco imagery. So they were theorizing that perhaps we could see a completely fresh story, shorter obviously, coming down the west coast. This is simply assuming that some layouts for San Fran had already been assembled based on the concept art.

Interesting stuff.
    link?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vzX_sYp80Q

I didn't think anyone else would be willing to watch four grown men talk about a video game for an hour. But there you go.

I don't know when exactly they start on the DLC talk, but it's relatively brief.

They're IGN guys I think, so they're real insider guys.

The whole conversation is pretty interesting. Just adults who take this somewhat serious, I suppose not unlike those of us posting in this thread.

Welcome to LA S. Nash! rhythmic 's Avatar

So what are your favorite missions so far? And the most memorable moments?
    Use white font to avoid spoiling for the guys that haven't finished it yet.

And I'm definitely down to join a clan for online play... we'll dominate.

I used the online mode for the first time last night, and I really, really liked it. It's not a mindless shooter, just like 99% of multiplayers out there. Like someone else said before, it puts a lot of stress on stealth, teamplay and tactics. If you are reckless or a lone ranger, you won't last 30 secons. It took me a while to get how it all worked, and another while to start getting my first downs and kills, but once you get it going it's really fun. However, you will die a lot regardless. A lot. I don't know what's up with people, but some of the guys I played against were already extremely good.
    Nevertheless, I managed to complete a mission and got my group to 24 survivors already. Also unlocked a few perks and a couple of guns. I'm probably going to play it again tonight. For anyone interested in an ISH faction, my PSN ID is formion.

[QUOTE=rhythmic

Banned

On the topic of DLC.... im gonna talk with spoilers being revealed.
    I think its okay at this point.

As for DLC content, the idea I came up with was being a firefly soldier in a mission with a group of other soldiers. That mission could of course range from a variety of different things

The idea of morality is a very blurred line when dealing with a post apocalyptic world where it's all about survival. Of course we saw that throughout the game with Joel and other characters. So seeing the game and world through the eyes of someone on the 'other side' (the fireflies) would be kind of cool.

Imagine the mindset of a firefly soldier, when they hear that a crazy guy broke into a the hospital, killed a bunch of soldiers and doctors while stealing away the one possible vaccinated cure for the zombie pandemic.

Lots of cool different possibilities that Naughty Dog can throw out there, im sure ill enjoy whatever they choose. im not sure if they would introduce a completely new narrative behind a new character. Probably be something to do with Joel pre-Ellie. Lots of years between when the breakout began and when the actual game takes place

Quote Originally Posted by jaydacris
    On the topic of DLC.... im gonna talk with spoilers being revealed.
    I think its okay at this point.

As for DLC content, the idea I came up with was being a firefly soldier in a mission with a group of other soldiers. That mission could of course range from a variety of different things

The idea of morality is a very blurred line when dealing with a post apocalyptic world where it's all about survival. Of course we saw that throughout the game with Joel and other characters. So seeing the game and world through the eyes of someone on the 'other side' (the fireflies) would be kind of cool.

Imagine the mindset of a firefly soldier, when they hear that a crazy guy broke into a the hospital, killed a bunch of soldiers and doctors while stealing away the one possible vaccinated cure for the zombie pandemic.

Lots of cool different possibilities that Naughty Dog can throw out there, im sure ill enjoy whatever they choose. im not sure if they would introduce a completely new narrative behind a new character. Probably be something to do with Joel pre-Ellie. Lots of years between when the breakout began and when the actual game takes place

I like that idea. We do get some of that perspective a couple of times. David's group for instance refers to Joel as "some lunatic with a little girl", which actually made me pause and think if I had shot first on the college campus, and was I just some lunatic who'd been killing anyone on sight. I wasn't. They definitely shoot first. But still.

Surprised at how fun the MP is. Reminds me a little bit of warzone mode in Gears of War (which I love). Nowhere near as good as the single player (nobody bought this game for the MP anyway), but it was a nice addition to the game. I'm not really a MP guy (only game I play online is Gears), so it must be decent if it has kept my attention for more than a few matches.
    Last edited by Heavincent; 06-27-2013 at 02:41 AM.

Gooner | Heat Nation EnoughSaid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous

I just played my first online game last night. I suck, but found it much better than most online stuff I've tried. I even got a few kills. So if anyone wants to put a group together, I'd give it a try. My gamertag is Thorpesaurous too.
    Yeah man mines Enough_Said and I've been wanting to play online with some people. I'm going to add you and hopefully we'll get a game going.

Quote Originally Posted by EnoughSaid
    Yeah man mines Enough_Said and I've been wanting to play online with some people. I'm going to add you and hopefully we'll get a game going.
    Add me too, formion.

Awesome game and story.

By the time I buy this in July, everybody will have moved on to the next game. Me so sad.

Welcome to LA S. Nash! rhythmic 's Avatar

Last of US officially become the 2nd highest game ever to receive perfect scores with 39, tied with Uncharted 2 for the current gen.

TLoU 39/88
    Uncharted 2 39/107

Insane, also has a 9.1 user rating (over 1800 reviews) compared to GTA 4's mediocre 7.9 (the game with the highest amount of perfect reviews with 48 I believe).

Safe to say best game in the last 8 years?