Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    NBA Legend and Hall of Famer Smoke117's Avatar

Default Re: Iverson responds to bleacher report leaving him out of their top 50

Quote Originally Posted by ImKobe
    As did every other perimeter star in the early 2000s. AI however played on teams with little offensive help that needed him to score all those points.

Now look what happens when we ban hand-checking

05-08 - 29/3/7 ~55%TS

He had no trouble scoring efficiently in 08 when he was playing next to Melo and JR in Denver, averaging 26/3/7 on ~57%TS at age 32.

I know a few volume scorers from this era who would see their efficiency drop in the early 2000s .

You do realize he led a team to 56 wins with two of his starters missing 30+ games and Mutombo only playing 26 because they traded for him later in the season? Guess what, they were 7-15 without him the next season when he was injured and missed 22 games.
    And you realize Devin Stern screwed over the Bucks to get the Sixers into the finals...right?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkwJ8tFsArs

Ray isn't alone. We all know that bullshit was fixed. Devin Stern wanted the MVP in the finals and didn't want to see the Bucks (who had owned the Lakers in the regular season) to match up against the Lakers. He didn't want to hurt his golden goose.
    Last edited by Smoke117; 09-30-2019 at 07:57 PM.

Long Live The Process fourkicks44's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117
    And you realize Devin Stern screwed over the Bucks to get the Sixers into the finals...right?

Ray isn't alone. We all know that bullshit was fixed. Devin Stern wanted the MVP in the finals and didn't want to see the Bucks (who had owned the Lakers in the regular season) to match up against the Lakers. He didn't want to hurt his golden goose.
    George Karl publicly insulted and embarrassed the refs.

Then expected to get calls

Quote Originally Posted by fourkicks44
    Manu ahead of AI?

ahaha. I didn't even notice that at first. I mean putting Pau on there is a joke first of all, but so is Manu, and I love Manu, but you're saying that he's top 50, get the **** out of here.

He might be top 10-20 in terms of bball mind and he was a really amazing player that could change the flow of a game in the way most people can't, but he's still not top 50.

Everyone who says shit like "So and so can only do x" about people like Iverson... first of all, that's not true... second of all, you have to be able to measure the value of that one thing properly. So that means that, shockingly, someone who does one thing at an ATG level can be better than a well rounded all-star.

For instance... Manu v Ivo. Ivo would cook Manu every time. No team would take Manu over Ivo not even ****ing SA when they had a championship team.

Things you have to consider: how well someone can do something, how effective that thing is, who they can do it against, and how hard it is to stop them from doing it. That's why AI is top 50. Nobody can stop him from attacking.

-Smak

go watch game 2 sixers vs lakers 01 and you'll see why the refs hated this little diva

several times he acts like fisher rapes him and I don't think fisher even touched him. On top of that after every time out he goes over to the ref whining trying to make him look like a fool to the fans.

I used to be ok with AI, but he's like a way worse version of chris paul/lebron james when it comes to this.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer warriorfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paksat
    go watch game 2 sixers vs lakers 01 and you'll see why the refs hated this little diva

several times he acts like fisher rapes him and I don't think fisher even touched him. On top of that after every time out he goes over to the ref whining trying to make him look like a fool to the fans.

I used to be ok with AI, but he's like a way worse version of chris paul/lebron james when it comes to this.
    Low iq post

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan
    Low iq post
    low iq post

Quote Originally Posted by Smoke117

Ok Bucks got screwed, that doesn't take anything away from Iverson's MVP season or him being a great player. He just happened to be playing in the toughest defensive era for perimeter players and still carried a team to a #1 seed without a legitimate 2nd or 3rd option on offense. He's still a top 50 player all-time because he did prove he could play at an MVP level and you couldn't name 40, let alone 50 players with better individual accolades than him.

11x All-Star
    7x All-NBA
    2001 MVP
    1997 ROY
    4x Scoring Champ
    3x Steal Champ

Is not top 50 all-time?

14be

Is 14be official 2020 ranking?

Great college starter

If it’s the 50 GREATEST players, there’s no question Iverson should be on it. He was too good and accomplished too much to not be.

Yes, we’re in an age where there’s all sorts of data available that changes how the game is played and viewed, and some of these analytics don’t paint the best picture of Iversons game. However, when you’re talking about GREATNESS you’re talking about way more than just the current flavor of the month analytics.

There are not 50 players overall more accomplished than Iverson. There are not 20 players who had a bigger impact on the game and influenced generations like Iverson. There were not 50 players as culturally relevant as Iverson, nor as popular. Lastly, there weren’t 50 players more important to the game of basketball than Iverson

Quote Originally Posted by ILLsmak
    ahaha. I didn't even notice that at first. I mean putting Pau on there is a joke first of all, but so is Manu, and I love Manu, but you're saying that he's top 50, get the **** out of here.

He might be top 10-20 in terms of bball mind and he was a really amazing player that could change the flow of a game in the way most people can't, but he's still not top 50.

Everyone who says shit like "So and so can only do x" about people like Iverson... first of all, that's not true... second of all, you have to be able to measure the value of that one thing properly. So that means that, shockingly, someone who does one thing at an ATG level can be better than a well rounded all-star.

For instance... Manu v Ivo. Ivo would cook Manu every time. No team would take Manu over Ivo not even ****ing SA when they had a championship team.

Things you have to consider: how well someone can do something, how effective that thing is, who they can do it against, and how hard it is to stop them from doing it. That's why AI is top 50. Nobody can stop him from attacking.

-Smak
    Sorry but my low Bran stan IQ says that FG% is the sole thing that dictates whether someone is good or bad
    [COLOR="White"]Great post btw[/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by superduper
    Sorry but my low Bran stan IQ says that FG% is the sole thing that dictates whether someone is good or bad
    [COLOR="White"]Great post btw[/COLOR]
    Haha well there are good bad shots and bad bad shots.

Like that clip posted of Ai chasing the ball and diving for it, I feel like that was ais game even on offense. Just a force unlike the nba ever saw even if he shot 40% at times. I mean he'd start games 0-10 and end up getting 40. Obviously the percentage didn't matter that much. I dunno of many people who could put so much pressure on a d though. Dribbling, off ball, on the break.

Really wish he could have got a chance to win a ring. He's probably one of the only dudes I am like damn. Cuz guys like Barkley. Malone, Stockton still get mad respect. Iverson is seen as a career loser and cancer by way too many people.

If they had an analytic for how far people played off their man in an attempt to stop a player from scoring, Ai would be up there. Haha. People are way too focused on stuff like per and ts%.

-Smak

NBA All-star

Iverson is one of those example that because younger players don't study the history of the game and stunt their growth, he ends up suffering even after his personal life being affected

Let's Talks Numbers 34-24 Footwork's Avatar

[QUOTE=LostCause]If that