Page 1 of 7 1234 ... LastLast

Default Promotion of Jordan was shoved in America's throats more than any player by the NBA

every few years the same video comes out with the same story.
    All produced by the NBA, not MJ or Nike.

country black kid from wilmington, nc blah blah blah
    played little league baseball throughout child hood blah blah blah
    beats older brother in basketball blah blah blah
    decides to try out in HS basketball but gets cut blah blah blah
    angry, works harder, makes team next year blah blah blah
    was good after all, coach made a mistake blah blah blah

Default Re: Promotion of Jordan was shoved in America's throats more than any player by the NBA

If the media wanted to they could make Rudy Gay as loved as some of the other superstars.

Banned

Default Re: Promotion of Jordan was shoved in America's throats more than any player by the NBA

He earned every piece of attention he got. Am I wrong?

He is arguably the greatest athlete of all time. He was literally doing things, people thought were impossible. Look up some of his acrobatic layups. To this day, players aren't even coming close to his layups. Kobe/Rose have had a few like his, but MJ had the craziest hang time you'll ever see from an athlete.

MJ
    ALI
    GRETZKY
    Last edited by tikay0; 02-26-2013 at 03:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by atljonesbro
    If the media wanted to they could make Rudy Gay as loved as some of the other superstars.
    If he signs with the Warriors his jersey would be a massive hit.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by tikay0

He is arguably the greatest athlete of all time. He was literally doing things, people thought were impossible. Look up some of his acrobatic layups.

MJ
    ALI
    GRETZKY
    Ali is not the greatest boxer of all time. Sugar Ray Robinson is.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    I know, but what he meant to boxing surpassed Ray Robinson.

Worded that wrong. I love Ray Rob, so I'm not even going to argue it.

MJ
    ALI/RAY ROB
    GRETZKY

Old School Cool brandonislegend's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tikay0

He is arguably the greatest athlete of all time. He was literally doing things, people thought were impossible. Look up some of his acrobatic layups. To this day, players aren't even coming close to his layups. Kobe/Rose have had a few like his, but MJ had the craziest hang time you'll ever see from an athlete.

MJ
    ALI
    GRETZKY
    You forgot Tiger Woods

I brick nerf balls La Frescobaldi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by brandonislegend
    You forgot Tiger Woods
    ?? why him especially? If any sport has benefited from technology it's golf.

If you want greatest golfers you got to go with guys like Sam Snead or Bobby Jones. They played golf with a freaking hickory stick.

Learning to shoot layups

Quote Originally Posted by RoundMoundOfReb
    True but Ali transcended his sport. SRR could be the greatest ever boxer but he didn't reach Ali's heights outside of it.

Top 1 Bball Mind.

Quote Originally Posted by The Genius
    True but Ali transcended his sport. SRR could be the greatest ever boxer but he didn't reach Ali's heights outside of it.
    Idrc about anything other than what they did outside the sport. SRR was a scumbag, this is true though.

What a moronic thread.

True. Jordan had a new "biography" video out every couple of years. When you add the Nike and Gatorade propaganda machines it's hard not to become an icon. MJ deserved every bit of the publicity but it just goes to show you that the NBA promotes who they choose to promote.

Kobe Bryant, another exceptionally talentented superstar has zero. Guys like Kobe and Lebron should have several of these things. They would sell like crazy. NBA makes money and promotes their biggest stars. It's a win-win. I don't see why this hasn't happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Budadiiii
    What a moronic thread.
    Actually it is't. Some of my old hoops friends got so sick of the non-stop jordan extravaganza that they just stopped watching basketball. At its height it was less about hoops than some kind of cult of personality.

Anything gets tiring when you get too much of it.

I will admit even for myself a diehard hoops guy, that Shaq was a very welcome change from the same pork chops & apple sauce day in, day out for like 12 years. Jordan made the NBA world famous all right, but Shaq made it a lot more fun and to this day I prefer watching Shaq

{but I freely admit -
    1. I was a Lakers fan since Wilt got traded & him & Logo were tearing it up... and
    2 I always did like power game, centers and forwards over guards even tho my all-time favorite player is Clyde Frazier}

70p game: DBook-1 MJ-0 livingby3's's Avatar

Let's just say the marketability of MJ goes way beyond the states. The NBA can't achieve that with any other legends, and not any current players. Not Kobe, not Lebron, not Durant. and their targeted audience can't only be from the USA, or basketball fans. Kobe dare I say is not even worth a third of Jordans name in terms of popularity.

Quote Originally Posted by Kobe 4 The Win
    True. Jordan had a new "biography" video out every couple of years. When you add the Nike and Gatorade propaganda machines it's hard not to become an icon. MJ deserved every bit of the publicity but it just goes to show you that the NBA promotes who they choose to promote.

Kobe Bryant, another exceptionally talentented superstar has zero. Guys like Kobe and Lebron should have several of these things. They would sell like crazy. NBA makes money and promotes their biggest stars. It's a win-win. I don't see why this hasn't happened.
    Why is because David Stern was very creative in the 80s. He's an old dishrag in the 10s.
    I think the FBI investigation took all the air out of Stern, he's never been the same since NBA referee went to prison for shaving points.

But Kobe & LeBron do not have the pure star power jordan had. Dude was like a Klieg light.