Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by BlackVVaves
    Wow. Does EVERY topic have to turn into Kobe vs. Jordan?
    Tell it to Lakers-city. He's the one who brought it up.

Good college starter LakersDynasty's Avatar

Still wondering how a topic about Nash winning his 3rd MVP turned into a Kobe vs. Jordan debate. Another topic ruined, whoever is responsible for it....

why live??

Quote Originally Posted by neverfail
    unlike last year, this year is tough to predict. Boozer,Yao, dirk and dunken, nash and kobe all have their chances. again it's unlikely come from east, west got award consistently for many years, unless Cavs top in east which is unlikely IMO.
    ewwwww

I hit open 5-foot jumpshots with ease Maximum310's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SomeBunghole
    I don't know why all this discussion about Kobe's stats and MJ's stats and all that jazz. Kobe isn't likely to be the MVP for a simple reason.

People don't like him, and fair or not, it affects the voting. The MVP award isn't awarded by a computer calculating who deserved it, but human beings affected by biases.

For Kobe to win the MVP award, he has to be clearly head and shoulders above the rest of the field. Just being up there won't cut it.
    Sad but true, I could remember b4 the 05-06 season started, all the voters and sports writters were saying that the Lakers had NO CHANCE of making the playoffs, and if they did, then Kobe should be the MVP.

Kobe won the scoring title and took the Lakers to the playoffs but was overlooked as an MVP, finishing behind Nash, LBJ, and Dirk. Some voters even left him out of their valot.

Their Excuse last year was...
    HE SHOT THE BALL TOO MUCH,
    Now he's sharing the ball and all they will say to shaft him out of MVP is
    HIS STATS ARE NOT WHAT THEY WERE LAST YEAR.

No Matter what, theyll find an excuse NOT TO GIVE IT TO KOBE.

NBA Superstar

I think people are coming around on Kobe little by little

I think everyone is surprised by how good the Lakers are actually doing

I think the single biggest factor in MVP selection is the team's performance versus the team's expected performance

Steve Nash won and a big reason each season was that the Suns weren't expected to win as much as they did

This year they are expected by many to win it all

Hence he wont win

Lakers have lower expectations and are exceeding them

Hence Kobe wins

im thinking if the suns win 66 games then nash has a chance...otherwise i doubt they woud even think of it

Good college starter EricForman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lakers-city
    translation = im a jordan groupie who needs to grab at straws whenever the most minimal statistical mistake is made in a post.

kobe is having the best shooting season of his career, despite having the same scrubs he had last year the lakers still have a great record.

seriously, get off jordan's d*ck and learn to accept the guy is retired and other players from present time dont need to live up to HIS standards to win the mvp.

why bring up jordan's age in the 97 and 98 seasons ? the voters dont give a shiiit about a players age.

keep those bs PER stats in that useless basketball reference site and watch some games, then make judgements.

first-- stop referring to kobe's teammates as scrubs. Lamar Odom is better than anyone Iverson, Ray Allen, Paul Pierce has ever played with and all them guys gone further in the playoffs and had better regular season win totals than Kobe did post-Shaq. Iverson and Pierce have led a cast of worse players than what Kobe has to lengthy playoff runs.

The whole "Kobe has CBA teammates" "take kobe off the team and lakers are the worse team in the league" logic doesn't apply anymore, I never believed it even last year, but this year's just flat out been proven false.

Jordan's age is always relevant simply becausae his final 3 Bulls seasons he was technically WAY OUT OF HIS PRIME. To do what he did at age 34, 35, 36 is amazing. Kobe fans also always bring up Jordan's later years to try to disparage him, such as how Jordan no longer guarded the opposing team's best players, or how his shooting % dropped a bit and steals numbers went down... they use those stats to try to disparage Jordan, but when you factor in his age, those are freaking amazing numbers. So Jordan's age should always be mentioned to counter Laker fans lame attempts. You Laker fans are a sneaky bunch, you guys tend to use prime Kobe to compare with , say 38 year old Jordan (and you guys obviously leave out his age), and try to pass that off as a legit comparison between the two.

Guys, look at page 4, and read Helige and Laker-citys posts, look at their logic, Helige implies Lakers are superior to Spurs and have a better shot at the championship becasue they beat the Spurs ONE GAME. Laker logic brings up Bulls winning 55 in 94 and how Kobe's teammates right now can't win 55 without Kobe. Um, but you add Jordan to the 94 bulls and it's championship, you add kobe to this year's lakers and its another first round exit......

I feel sorry for the legit, logical Laker fans on here, you guys have to fight an uphill battle at ISH everyday because of these clowns. Seriously, read their posts... it's too ridiculous for words.
    Last edited by EricForman; 12-13-2006 at 09:02 AM.

Good college starter EricForman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maximum310
    Sad but true, I could remember b4 the 05-06 season started, all the voters and sports writters were saying that the Lakers had NO CHANCE of making the playoffs, and if they did, then Kobe should be the MVP.

Kobe won the scoring title and took the Lakers to the playoffs but was overlooked as an MVP, finishing behind Nash, LBJ, and Dirk. Some voters even left him out of their valot.

Their Excuse last year was...
    HE SHOT THE BALL TOO MUCH,
    Now he's sharing the ball and all they will say to shaft him out of MVP is
    HIS STATS ARE NOT WHAT THEY WERE LAST YEAR.

No Matter what, theyll find an excuse NOT TO GIVE IT TO KOBE.

look, Kobe had a case for MVP last year, but to put him up there right now is just silly. He simply hasn't been dominant enough, there were plenty of games this year where Odom was the best player on the court. And the Lakers won a few games where he didn't play.

Kobe's still a top player but how excatly is he worthy of MVP right now over guys who have carried their teams and put up sick numbers all year? Like Boozer, Nash, or even Dirk>?

Bryant's not winning an MVP award this year... I'm not even sure why his name is being brought up. People completely left if off of their ballots last year. He has no chance this year.

I don't have anything against him but I sincerely hope Steve Nash doesn't win his third in a row, I just don't think he's worthy of that at all when its not like there's nobody competing for it. This year I think LBJ, Kobe or Dirk will take it if not them then it'll be an outsider nobody figured on taking the awards, but not nash.

Local High School Star Joey Zaza's Avatar

If the Lakers are among the top teams in the league Kobe has a legit shot at MVP. Its really very simple...be the best player on the best team.

The problem for the hard core Laker fans is that we all knowthat they will not wind upo with the best record in the League.

So you are relying on contraversy as to the "best player" or the "best team". So if the Jazz wind up with the best record in the L, and Boozer is the 20-10 guy who got them there (and you know people will argue that 10rpg = defense, when we all know that Boozer is not a defender) , Kobe will have a tough time getting the nod from a 3rd place Laker team.

If, however, LA = Phx from last year (lead the Div but 3rd best record) and SA has the best record but Timmy is only Timmy from last year, and Dall is 2nd, and Dirk is only as good as Dirk from last year, and the Lakers are 3rd--it could pass down to Kobe the same way it went to Nash - especially if this month-long Odom injury doesn't hurt them too much.

Personally, if I had as vote, right now, I'm going with D.Howard. Best player on the best team in his conference, actually is defending, is the best player on that team...and on the "where would they be without" test..Orlando ranks pretty low. Nelson,Hill,Hedo,Darko,Battie - with Arroyo off the bench. That's a 15 win team - at best.

ohh- and on topic, its going to be real tough for Nash to win. Phx will not significantly improve from last year, he doesn't have the "all new teammates" angle anymore. But if everything isd the same as last year (SA/Dal/Phx) and they decide that TD is still not good enough, I guess he still has a shot.
    Last edited by Joey Zaza; 12-13-2006 at 11:29 AM.

Default Re: Will Steve Nash win his third MVP?

well, will he?

Quote Originally Posted by CavaliersFTW
    well, will he?
    Wilt making a clutch shot in his prime or Nash winning a third MVP in his prime? What's more likely?

Quote Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
    Wilt making a clutch shot in his prime or Nash winning a third MVP in his prime? What's more likely?

Good college starter

What happened to the Lakers fanbase? They're all so civilized in this thread. And now they're represented by passive-aggressive clowns like Deuce.