Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Irrational Jordan superfan StarJordan's Avatar

Default Re: Has Michael Jordan ever said who was the best player he ever went up against?

payton and penny hardaway when jordan was older

Default Re: Has Michael Jordan ever said who was the best player he ever went up against?

Wouldn't shock me if it's some random dude in college or some guy back in high school that never made it big time for one reason or another.

As already brought up, it would be interesting to see what other players have said on this subject.

Kidd said Jordan
    Russell said Wilt
    Walton said Kareem
    Bird said Jordan
    Magic said Bird

NBA rookie of the year Da_Realist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by get these NETS
    great thread

great excerpt from Jordan interview also

dream, pip.bird,jordan, magic

=============

Gotta call "bull" on Jordan's answers though...if that's his full answer...unedited

Bird was a bad bad man...but I read the Dream Team book...and I think both Michale and Magic go out of their way to praise Bird.
    They saw how anything close to criticizing/belittling Bird brings instant backlash a la Isiah Thomas, so they go overboard the opposite way.

In the book, the writer..a Bird dick-holder if there ever was one, even mentions Mike giving Bird credit for things he didn't do..when MJ is recalling the greatest game nobody ever saw

it's a smart move..endears him to older white hoops fans who identified with Bird because he was a great white player, but it sounds like complete bullshit
    he mentions "work ethic" for Bird but for no other player....so he's clearly playing to that crowd...

==================================================

I'd have to say, in answering as a fan.....reggie miller is the only guy to even remotely rattle Jordan

certain the tapes have been destroyed but Mike beat up Reggie Miller on the court one day after Miller had been making shots and talking WILD shit to him

Miller CLEARLY didn't have 1/10 the game that Jordan had...but I think mentally..and talking the talk and walking the walk...for about a 4 year stretch he gave as good as he got to MJ

---------------------------------------------------------------

regular season..probably Mitch Richmond for maybe 3 year period....

Mitch was legitimately in top 3 shooting guards in the league during that time..strong.....had shooting range...just a difficult cover
    at Reggie. Dude didn't even get out of the first round until after MJ retired the first time.

Once heard Jordan say that Alvin Robertson was the person who guarded him best, but I don't know, Jordan always torched his teams when they played.

Mozart Basketball no pun intended's Avatar

Clyde Drexler was a pretty good matchup to Jordan.

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by get these NETS
    great thread

great excerpt from Jordan interview also

dream, pip.bird,jordan, magic

=============

Gotta call "bull" on Jordan's answers though...if that's his full answer...unedited

Bird was a bad bad man...but I read the Dream Team book...and I think both Michale and Magic go out of their way to praise Bird.
    They saw how anything close to criticizing/belittling Bird brings instant backlash a la Isiah Thomas, so they go overboard the opposite way.

In the book, the writer..a Bird dick-holder if there ever was one, even mentions Mike giving Bird credit for things he didn't do..when MJ is recalling the greatest game nobody ever saw

it's a smart move..endears him to older white hoops fans who identified with Bird because he was a great white player, but it sounds like complete bullshit
    he mentions "work ethic" for Bird but for no other player....so he's clearly playing to that crowd...

==================================================

I'd have to say, in answering as a fan.....reggie miller is the only guy to even remotely rattle Jordan

certain the tapes have been destroyed but Mike beat up Reggie Miller on the court one day after Miller had been making shots and talking WILD shit to him

Miller CLEARLY didn't have 1/10 the game that Jordan had...but I think mentally..and talking the talk and walking the walk...for about a 4 year stretch he gave as good as he got to MJ

---------------------------------------------------------------

regular season..probably Mitch Richmond for maybe 3 year period....

Mitch was legitimately in top 3 shooting guards in the league during that time..strong.....had shooting range...just a difficult cover
    I doubt Mj was pandering. He's always praised him and brought up his name in situations in which he didn't have to do so. I mean, all we gotta do is go back and look at Bird's numbers vs MJ to see how he fared. Bird's teams used to beat the Bulls and Bird was killing any and everybody that they put on him, YES including he and Pip. And Mj for whatever reason has always been extremely fond of West as well, not sure how or why but he's praised him numerous times, even stating that West is the guy that he wished he played against more than anybody else (that he didn't get a chance to).

I rule the local playground Linspired's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by no pun intended
    Clyde Drexler was a pretty good matchup to Jordan.
    they played each other 17 times in regular season.

MJ had 34.5/7.1/6.1 .479%
    drexler 23.5/6.7/5.8 .485%

in the playoffs

MJ
    35.8/4.8/6.5 .526%

drexler
    24.8/7.8/5.3 .407%

i guess it was good match up. still MJ clearly was superior, and drexler is delusional thinking that he was equal to MJ.

U mirin my face?

Larry Jordan, his brother.

College star

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    BAck in the dey I know he said Mitch Richmond was the hardest to guard

but after Kooobe dropped 42 points on him in 1 1/2 quarters...you know it's #24

Classic battles.

His dream team is dope. I seriously want to say it would be the best possible combination of 6 players anyone could come up with. Pippen and Bird as the forwards is brilliant. The versatility and the chemistry would be sky-high. West as 6th man... dope.

I would have named a different six but after reading that interview I'd go with his.

5-time NBA All-Star

He didn't like Magic because he once said that Magic was down with Isiah in isolating him in that all star game. But it obvious by his talk about the Dream Team practice battles that he felt these were the best competitive games he's played in. It well known as to why. So the answer is Magic but he will never vocalize it that way.

Jordan always seems to talk about Magic Bird and Hakeem in a more revered tone than the others.