Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234512 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Metta World Peace: "We definitely want to beat the Bulls record and go 73-9"

I don't think they care at all. Players like Kobe and Nash aren't affected by these kinds of remarks/rumors/talks.

Default Re: Metta World Peace: "We definitely want to beat the Bulls record and go 73-9"

I like it. People need to stop being so PC all the time. What's wrong with chasing the record when you actually become a better team because you worked hard for it?

I remember reading a quote from Larry Bird here about chasing a triple double or a 40/50 pt game.

I always felt that record would be broken sooner rather than later. But the last couple of years I've noticed the amount of focus that a team needs to break it. It's not just a matter of having a really talented team on paper, but more of a mental consistency. Can Mike Brown keep them focus. Can Kobe be as consistent as Jordan? Can Howard be more mature?

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    Pippen > Howard
    Howard > Kobe and PIppen.

Does he realize that Mike Brown is coaching

College star

Quote Originally Posted by BEAST Griffin
    This. If Lakers don't beat the Bulls record Kobe needs to be dropped out of the top 2000 on all time lists.
    Fixed that for you.

Quote Originally Posted by lilgodfather1
    Not to mention Pippen is better than Dwight... Even if you say Dwight is an all time great defender (which he is), Pippen is at minimum top 5, and I don't see Dwight that far up there considering the "competition" he has faced at the "center" position in his career.
    LOL at Pippen being better than Dwight. He doesn't nearly impact the game as much as Dwight.

20 points and 15 rebounds with elite paint defense, or 20 points with elite perimeter defense? Its not close.

Quote Originally Posted by Heavincent
    Pippen > Howard

The goal is to get to the top of the Western Conference, then win 16 playoff games. Even if they only go 60-22, going 73-9 is not necessary. No one cares that the 1995 Rockets only won 47 games or that the 2006 Heat only won 52 games.

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lilgodfather1
    Not to mention Pippen is better than Dwight... Even if you say Dwight is an all time great defender (which he is), Pippen is at minimum top 5, and I don't see Dwight that far up there considering the "competition" he has faced at the "center" position in his career.
    You have to take it into context of league talent. Sure Dwight will barely even be a top 5 center in the 90's, but right now he's by far the best option you have at the most important position. It's like if Mikan theoretically couldn't hack it in today's league. He was still the most dominant of his time. You compare him to who he played against.

Having Dwight in today's league >>>>>>>>>>>>> having Pippen in the 90's because I would have taken pretty much any top 5 center from the 90's over him. And yes, I do realize how good Pippen was... center is just too important of a position.

Quote Originally Posted by j3lademaster
    center is just too important of a position.

The Bulls put that to rest. Bill Cartwright and Luc Longley weren't exactly elite. Two great defensive-minded forwards and an average center will get you a lot further than a great center and two average forwards.

I get superstar calls j3lademaster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by D.J.
    The Bulls put that to rest. Bill Cartwright and Luc Longley weren't exactly elite. Two great defensive-minded forwards and an average center will get you a lot further than a great center and two average forwards.
    Good job listing pretty much the only exception in NBA history. You can't tell me the Bulls wouldn't have improved with Olajuwon at C and a Longley/ Cartwright calibur 3 instead of Pip. Center is the most important position. Even with all these rule changes that help quick faceup forwards and superathletic scoring guards dominate, a threat in the paint that can also anchor a defense at the rim is still the most important piece to a championship team.

Quote Originally Posted by j3lademaster
    Good job listing pretty much the only exception in NBA history

Robert Parish, Bill Laimbeer, Kendrick Perkins, Tyson Chandler. Obviously above average(calling Perkins above average might be a bit of a stretch) and very good defenders, but certainly no Olajuwon, Shaq, or Robinson/Duncan.

You can't tell me the Bulls wouldn't have improved with Olajuwon at C and a Longley/ Cartwright calibur 3 instead of Pip.

That's assuming Olajuwon would be able to play with Jordan. How are they going to improve more? They won multiple titles with two great forwards in both 3-peats and average centers.

Center is the most important position. Even with all these rule changes that help quick faceup forwards and superathletic scoring guards dominate, a threat in the paint that can also anchor a defense at the rim is still the most important piece to a championship team.

20-25 years ago, you'd be right. The game is too perimeter-oriented today to make a center your most important position. You need to be able to have your perimeter players able to slash and create. The rules favor perimeter players more than ever. Defense still wins championships, but the center position is not as in demand as it was.