Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Default Re: Former NBA Ref says "Jordan's push off was an offensive foul..."

LOCO's desperate. Talking about "intuitive sense of physics" Herb. Russell fell AFTER Jordan made contact. As for your whole "Jordan not having enough time/force" theory, when the player is ALREADY MOVING AT GREAT SPEED like Russell was during an NBA game, it's A LOT EASIER to knock them off balance/effect their momentum.

Banned

Oh wow, it's an eliteballer sighting! Eveyone wave at eliteballer. "Hi eliteballer."

You can crawl back in your hole now. I know of what I speak. I'd like to imagine that anyone who's played ball at a high level has this intuitive grasp of what moving bodies can and cannot do, but perhaps I overestimate people's intelligence.

Another Laker Dynasty? bleedinpurpleTwo's Avatar

Only a retard would say that it was anything but pushing off. It was obvious.
    BUT, as Russell himself graciously said, "it was not a foul because they did not call it."

oh, and it was one of those down-to-the-last-second situations where refs are taught to swallow the whistle.
    Last edited by bleedinpurpleTwo; 08-17-2007 at 09:58 PM.

You don't know jack shiet, otherwise you would have a retort. Russell's body already contorted and moving at great speed=easy to knock off balance. Your theory=shot

Look like a foul to me.

But the plays history....Jordan won.

rank sentamentalist

Kobe wouldn't have pushed off.

MLK of NBA Minorities

Jordan got away with too much. That ref spoke the truth. Consequently, expect his dead body floating somewhere, courtesy of David Stern.

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Of course it was a foul. I cant believe this is even discussed these days. Like 99% of the sports world knew it was a foul the first time they saw a replay.

It happens. Jordan himself implied it was not only a foul but an intentional foul at that calling attention to how veteran tricks get players by when the issue of that play was brought up in an interview(was a few months ago).

He pushed off simple and plain. I didnt care then I dont care now. Wasnt the first time a guy pushed off on a big shot. Reggie rushed off MJ to make the game winner in the ECF one year.

Banned

I honestly can't believe that anyone who watches that play at normal speed from the normal game angle (as opposed to super slow-mo from behind Jordan's back) can think that the supposed "push" is what caused that reaction. Especially in light of the points I raised on the previous page.

And I always wonder why people harp on it so much when Reggie's two-handed hard push of Jordan to clear space for the game-winner in the ECF that year was so much more blatant.

Quote Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
    Reggie rushed off MJ to make the game winner in the ECF one year.

Ironically, it was the same year.

Good college starter EricForman's Avatar

So I read Agent Zero Hibachi's post saying "I have no idea what the pushoff was like, can someone provide me with a link?"

Which I immediate assume was a sarcastic joke.

Then I saw MaxFly reply with an actual link, and I was thinking "come on Max you actually gonna fell for that?"

Then Agent Zero actually comes back with a legit reply, so I guess he really hadn't seen the shot before and just saw it for the first time after Max provided the link....

Wow. is this ISH? Or isthis some basketball board on Yahoo Questions page or something?

Titles are overrated Kblaze8855's Avatar

Even if the push didnt cause the entire reaction...the push existed. It was a foul. Jordan himself wouldnt claim these days that he didnt push him.

rank sentamentalist

Haha, I thought the same thing. He's pretty young though, grade 9 or something. Still, I honestly have trouble imagining someone being on a basketball messageboard (a lot in this situation) and not having seen that shot.

If Lebron James and Dwayne Wade are the one who hit that shot after pushing B. Russell most people here in PEX would go on strike. But at the end of the day it was Michael " Freakin" Jordan greatest player of all time and the man who brought millions and prestige in David Stern's NBA.

That is what you call as a facking Double Standard i hope someday it will never happen in an NBA Finals.

J- Whistle > D-Whistle and Bron Whistle
    Last edited by Lebron23; 08-18-2007 at 01:40 AM.

Unless we've got some amazing time machine and a computer that can calculate the amount of pressure that Michael Jordan's left hand exerted on Byron Russell's body simply by analying the video footage, there will be no clear answer (people have their opinions on which side they think is 100% right but the other side has arguements as well) as to if it was a offensive foul.

Personally, I think it was a bit of both, Jordan pushed off but Russell also flopped trying to get the foul.

Also, that 'blocking' foul on Nowitzki two years ago in the finals was absolute BS, Wade charged his whole shoulder into Nowitzki's chest and it was a clear offensive foul.