Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA rookie of the year

Default Re: Carmelo Anthony did everything Dantoni asked and isn't an iso player/ball stopper

It's basically already been confirmed. My respect for this team is plummeting rapidly, although by most accounts Carmelo was the ringleader. STAT was trying to get everyone to buy into the system, but Melo's moping about just sucked all the energy off the court. And then they go out against the Blazers and basically do all the stuff D'antoni wanted them to do, resulting a blowout win. It's shameful, but the star friendly culture of the NBA entitles these guys to that end.

We'll see how they play though. Teams always do this after an abrupt coaching change. We've already seen it this year with the Wizards and the Kings. Players play hard because they know that the excuse of, "It was all the coaches fault" is out the window. Those two have already come back down to Earth - ultimately they are who we thought they were.

We also saw it with the Pacers last year, but they were able to sustain it because their coach turned out to be better. Unfortunately we already know Mike Woodson is crap, which is why it took everyone an grand total of 14 seconds to start to look ahead to Phil Jackson and Jerry Sloan.

BTW, they shot 40 three pointers tonight. Sarcastic, where you at?
    Last edited by Scoooter; 03-15-2012 at 02:47 AM.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Default Re: Carmelo Anthony did everything Dantoni asked and isn't an iso player/ball stopper

Quote Originally Posted by Scoooter
    It's basically already been confirmed. My respect for this team is plummeting rapidly, although by most accounts Carmelo was the ringleader. STAT was trying to get everyone to buy into the system, but Melo's moping about just sucked all the energy off the court. And then they go out against the Blazers and basically do all the stuff D'antoni wanted them to do, resulting a blowout win. It's shameful, but the star friendly culture of the NBA entitles these guys to that end.

We'll see how they play though. Teams always do this after an abrupt coaching change. We've already seen it this year with the Wizards and the Kings. Players play hard because they know that the excuse of, "It was all the coaches fault" is out the window. Those two have already come back down to Earth - ultimately they are who we thought they were.

We also saw it with the Pacers last year, but they were able to sustain it because their coach turned out to be better. Unfortunately we already know Mike Woodson is crap, which is why it took everyone an grand total of 14 seconds to start to look ahead to Phil Jackson and Jerry Sloan.

BTW, they shot 40 three pointers tonight. Sarcastic, where you at?

I guess the Pacers did it last year too, by going 17-27 with O'Brien, then 20-18 with Vogel, on top of becoming one of the best teams in the east this year.

Nets are that way ------------->
    They might get DH12.

NBA rookie of the year

Now I know you don't even read my posts. I'm hurt.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote Originally Posted by Scoooter
    Now I know you don't even read my posts. I'm hurt.
    I read your post. I am not looking at Phil Jackson or Jerry Sloan at the moment. I am looking at the Indiana Pacers, and how we are going to get this team into the playoffs and salvage the season.

NBA rookie of the year

**** the season. We should go for that top five pick.

Krust Kingz

[COLOR="Red"]I know Sloan aint coming here he will not deal with a prima-donna! From all the sports radio talk people dont seem sure Jax wants to come here.[/COLOR]

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

Phil is done.

"The Residential Pit" franchize's Avatar

I dont want Phil or Sloan. While all time greats, theyve clearly shown signs of exhaustion from the game and that they're not comfortable adapting to today's NBA players personalities.

Quote Originally Posted by franchize
    I dont want Phil or Sloan. While all time greats, theyve clearly shown signs of exhaustion from the game and that they're not comfortable adapting to today's NBA players personalities.
    Soooo what then? Stick with Woodson? Go after a successful college coach like Calipari or Coach K? Bring in an assistant coach from a successful team like the Bulls did with Thibidou?

All of those moves would be question marks. With Phil Jackson, we'd be getting a sure thing, in my opinion. Jerry Sloan is a good coach as well but there are some question marks as to whether his system is up to date or not...

Quote Originally Posted by Bano114
    Soooo what then? Stick with Woodson? Go after a successful college coach like Calipari or Coach K? Bring in an assistant coach from a successful team like the Bulls did with Thibidou?

All of those moves would be question marks. With Phil Jackson, we'd be getting a sure thing, in my opinion. Jerry Sloan is a good coach as well but there are some question marks as to whether his system is up to date or not...
    I dont think we're getting a sure thing at all with Phil or Sloan. We've gone down that route numerous times. Get the big name HOF coach and pay him big bucks. What always happens is that they come in, clach with the players, then they say " I've won my ring already...F this".

I don't want Calipari. We've seen him coach in the NBA before. I dont even like him all that much as a college coach. He's an excellent recruiter but on the court he's far too volatile and intense.He reminds me of what Shaq used to call Stan Van Gundy. Master of Panic. Rick Pitino is the same way. Coach K isn't leaving Duke, where he's adored, to coach in NY, where he'll be booed the 1st time he loses a game. If the Lakers couldnt get him, I doubt we can.

I'd go the hungry assistant route. While I wasnt a huge Van Gundy fan, he did have success. What fans fail to realize is, sometimes players and coaches blow up because of the coach's ego!

We should just give the job to Herb Williams. The poor guy has been our assistant coach for 658654 years and has been learning from some of the best b-ball coaches ever. Just think about all the coaches he's been learning from since trading in his Knicks jersey for a suite.

As a player:
    Pat Riley, Jeff Van Gundy, and Donnie Nelson

As an Assistant Coach:
    Don Chaney, Lenny Wilkens, Larry Brown, Isiah Thomas, Mike D'Antoni, and now Mike Woodson.

Give Herb a chance if Woodson doesn't pan out, and when Phil Jackson says no.

Quote Originally Posted by jared82
    We should just give the job to Herb Williams. The poor guy has been our assistant coach for 658654 years and has been learning from some of the best b-ball coaches ever. Just think about all the coaches he's been learning from since trading in his Knicks jersey for a suite.

As a player:
    Pat Riley, Jeff Van Gundy, and Donnie Nelson

As an Assistant Coach:
    Don Chaney, Lenny Wilkens, Larry Brown, Isiah Thomas, Mike D'Antoni, and now Mike Woodson.

Give Herb a chance if Woodson doesn't pan out, and when Phil Jackson says no.
    Herb Williams has stepped in as head coach before...all I can say is no thanks...

Krust Kingz

[COLOR="Red"]Herb Williams? Really? Melo didnt listen to George Karl or Mike D'Antoni but he some how will listen to Herbie? [/COLOR]

I was just eagerly waiting for Rameek to pounce on ole boy for that comment. Bano beat you to it. you slippin son! lmao

Herb Williams will get a chance when Pat Ewing Jr gets a long term contract.

bump!