Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    "The Residential Pit" franchize's Avatar

Default Re: Why I'm still not sold on this team

Quote Originally Posted by Rameek
    [COLOR="Navy"]I disagree with the leadership and he's been clutch. His shape is his shape it's his look not chiseled neither was melo. [/COLOR]
    O I'm not saying I agreed with the criticisms. I'm just saying everything they accused Melo of, they accused Pierce of. I was a fan of Pierce since he was in HS. I still have the McD's All American game on tape (Best All American class ever IMO).

Knicks Board Moderator knickscity's Avatar

[COLOR="Navy"]Your misunderstood him. He is saying until this year Paul Pierce was arguably equal or better than Melo. I would say this I agree with some of the intangibles The Truth was better. [/COLOR]
    I'd say they were pretty equal, wont say better.

Krust Kingz

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Oh I am not defending the dudes assertions. I just think the only small piece I thought was a little in The Truth's favor was what I said.

I like the original topic anyway![/COLOR]
    Last edited by Rameek; 01-10-2013 at 01:38 AM.

I guess my issue...well not issue but question with the original topic is... What are we supposed to be sold on? The Knicks being legit? The Knicks being a title contender? The Knicks being as good as they seem? The Knicks being a playoff team? The Knicks being different from last year? Maybe if I knew what expectation we were referring to, I'd get the original premise of this topic even better because my answer to each one of those questions differ. For instance, I think we are legit but I don't think we will compete for a title this year.

Quote Originally Posted by franchize
    I guess my issue...well not issue but question with the original topic is... What are we supposed to be sold on? The Knicks being legit? The Knicks being a title contender? The Knicks being as good as they seem? The Knicks being a playoff team? The Knicks being different from last year? Maybe if I knew what expectation we were referring to, I'd get the original premise of this topic even better because my answer to each one of those questions differ. For instance, I think we are legit but I don't think we will compete for a title this year.
    I don't expect us to compete for the title either.

Sold on what ? Sold on us being a good playoff team that will advance all the way to the ECF and at least put up a fight against Miami.

I'm still not confident we can do it. Team looks too mentally weak and we aren't really that more talented than other teams in the East besides Miami.
    Heat were also mentally weak in their 1st year but they were so much more talented than anyone else in the East that they made it all the way to the Finals.
    I don't think that's the case with the Knicks so that mental weaknesses can be deadly in the playoffs.

Damn it,I'm not even sure we can go out of the 1st round. Depends on who we play against. I'm pretty confident we could beat Indiana,Milwaukee,Atlanta or Philly. I think we could beat Brooklyn too.
    But if we meet Chicago or Boston in the 1st round it will be tough to advance. They play hard and are able to get into our heads.

So,here are my questions:
    a) Are you confident the Knicks can get out of the 1st round no matter who they play against (excluding Miami,we won't meet in the 1st round unless something weird happens) ?
    b) Do you think the Knicks can go all the way to the ECF and at least put up a fight against Miami ?
    c) What would need to happen for you to call our season a success ?

Krust Kingz

[COLOR="Navy"]Cant make predictions but as presently constituted I think the Knicks can beat any team in the EC 1st round except Miami and Brooklyn.

As presently constituted I dont think the Knicks can get to the finals.

I dont think my expectations are any different than the beginning of the season. Make the playoffs maybe win one round. I always thought this team a 44 win team but the other EC teams are worse than I anticipated and the miracle start wasnt predictable.[/COLOR]

Clutch is this your yearly "panic mode" thread?

One minute they can make the ECF, but now they can be bumped in the 1st?

Quite a few teams have had that fate happen to them, hopefully this team doesn't have it, but outside of Miami i see no worries with the others.

Definitely not this soon with almost 50 games left to play before then.

Quote Originally Posted by knickscity
    Clutch is this your yearly "panic mode" thread?

One minute they can make the ECF, but now they can be bumped in the 1st?

Quite a few teams have had that fate happen to them, hopefully this team doesn't have it, but outside of Miami i see no worries with the others.

Definitely not this soon with almost 50 games left to play before then.
    Is this my yearly panic thread ? Well yes and no.

I think we can be bumped in the 1st round pretty easily if we don't fix some of our problems. Main problem is dealing with physical play and the refs. Team just collapses way too easily and tense situations like the Celtics or Bulls game will happen regularly in the playoffs.
    As good as motivator Woodson is he's not really the best x and o's guy and he's sometimes stubborn with his adjustments which could very easily cost us games in the playoffs.
    Well,that's the two things I'm most worried about come playoff time,assuming we're healthy.

When healthy I think the Knicks have more talent than any other team in the East besides Miami. That's why I think they can make it to the ECF but ONLY IF they fix some of the things mentioned above.

I'm not into panic mode and I don't have a reason to be in. Knicks are 23-11,only half a game behind Miami.

This thread was created to put things in perspective. Not everything is as great as our record suggests.
    Besides from the hot start the Knicks have played very much like the .500 team in the last 15 games or so.
    I know we are hit by injuries but we lost some games that we should have won. Our defense has really fallen off.

We're probably going to have a homecourt advantage in the playoffs. In the worst case we'll be like 5th or 6th seed and will still avoid Miami.

But I'm not really worried about our regular season play. The thing I'm worried about is that opponents are surely watching us and clearly see that it's not that hard to beat us. Punch us and we'll fall down and never get up.
    That needs to be fixed come playoff time because you won't see many blowouts in the playoffs. Every game will be tough and close so execution and mental toughness will be the key.

This is a soft league, not too many teams out there will do what Chicago and Boston can.

Honestly Chicago is rather soft in the playoff themselves, their gameplan changes in the posts season to far more finesse.

Truthfully no major worries here.

I would be concerned with Melo only because he can't channel is anger into beating his opponent.

All the other top player would have lit the Celtics up, but nope, more bad shots and frustration.

He wants thing he hasn't earned at times, like ref respect.

Now if there is anything to not be sold on, is whether Melo can be that guy that dominates and wins in the playoffs.

A. I think we are a legit playoff team who will earn a top 4 seed.
    B. I don't think we are a championship contender this year.
    C. I think we are better than a 1st round out
    D. I think we are more than a flash in the pan team.
    E. I think our success does not rest on Melo's shoulders. I've seen him perform well in the playoffs and still lose. I think our success ultimately will be determined on what we get from Amare. Melo can have an amazing playoffs but if he doesn't have help, it will end the same way that Boston series ended. With him exhausted and them waiting till the end of the game to double. Are we going to get a Jared Jeffries performance from amare or are we going to get a guy that teams have to at least game plan for?

It could be debated the only playoff win we have is due to Amare and that was with one hand.

But nah, even LeBron knew he could not defer anymore, he had to take over along with someone stepping up.

Dominating for a game does nothing, dominate a series, each one to advance.

NBA rookie of the year

I'm interested in seeing what Shumpert can bring to the team. At their best, the combination of Shumpert and Felton is a feisty back court. Add in Kidd and JR, and you've got a lot of potentially different looks to throw at other teams.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoooter
    I'm interested in seeing what Shumpert can bring to the team. At their best, the combination of Shumpert and Felton is a feisty back court. Add in Kidd and JR, and you've got a lot of potentially different looks to throw at other teams.
    I agree. A lotta toughness and grit in that backcourt. I also think Kidd and JR compliment each other well. Kidd is looking to pass and JR wants to put it up lol

[COLOR="Navy"]Cant make predictions but as presently constituted I think the Knicks can beat any team in the EC 1st round except Miami and Brooklyn.

As presently constituted I dont think the Knicks can get to the finals.

I dont think my expectations are any different than the beginning of the season. Make the playoffs maybe win one round. I always thought this team a 44 win team but the other EC teams are worse than I anticipated and the miracle start wasnt predictable.[/COLOR]
    Brooklyn? Brooklyn to be succesful in the playoffs will be relying on Evans and Blatche to give them a big contribution. And Lopez to carry them offensively. I doubt he's even healthy at that time. I disagree 100%.

Krust Kingz

Quote Originally Posted by niko
    Brooklyn? Brooklyn to be succesful in the playoffs will be relying on Evans and Blatche to give them a big contribution. And Lopez to carry them offensively. I doubt he's even healthy at that time. I disagree 100%.
    [COLOR="Navy"]So you dont like Blatche and Evans.... ok but they do have other players on the team. Have you actually noticed they are starting to right the ship? Have you seen the Knicks play Brooklyn?[/COLOR]