Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast
    Banned

Default Re: Paul Pierce is a top 5 Celtic all-time

At first I was shocked at the statement, but really, 60's and 70's basketball is not worth that much now. I could out-trick Wilt Chamberlain. Of course, it would be DIFFERENT if I was actually born in that era. Remember how some videogames were really life-changing when you were a kid, but is just a bunch of pixels now? Cosmo Cosmic Adventure, Commander Keen, Wolfenstein, and that ****ing moment you played Quake 2, those were giants of their time. Now, it's different.

Let's assume players of any era gave everything they've got.

Quote Originally Posted by griffmoney1784
    yea your right kobes garbage.

hondo's rings in the era where off hand dribbling was non existent were more impressive. where players shot under hand free throws and didnt know what a cross over was yet and 90% of the league couldnt dunk... yea sure

and yea kobe wouldnt be tough enough to body up with players from the 80's

hes got it easy playing against muscular tall wing players like lebron, wade.

no way he could be physical enough to deal with the fat gut having, no muscular definition players of the 80's

no way would a guy from an era with average scores of 100 points could go back to in time to the 80's pace of 115-120ppg and possibly score as many ppg as they can today

no way could a guy like kobe dominate without being a bruiser, pound it in player. kobes style would never work back in the 80's

oh no

wait .... didnt michael jordan play in the 80's
    rep

wait .... didnt michael jordan play in the 80's
    Your argument fails right here. Jordan and Kobe are different players. And Jordan couldn't win in the 80's. It was too stacked for him to win. Kobe's teams might not have even been playoff teams. I can't see Kobe averaging 50% shooting from the field against the likes of the Bad Boy Pistons, the 76ers, Celtics and Knicks.

Your argument is terrible, it doesn't deserve a rebuttal, and you may be the first troll I have encountered. If this was Hero Quest, I might be more excited about meeting a troll.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo
    Your argument fails right here. Jordan and Kobe are different players. And Jordan couldn't win in the 80's. It was too stacked for him to win. Kobe's teams might not have even been playoff teams. I can't see Kobe averaging 50% shooting from the field against the likes of the Bad Boy Pistons, the 76ers, Celtics and Knicks.

Your argument is terrible, it doesn't deserve a rebuttal, and you may be the first troll I have encountered. If this was Hero Quest, I might be more excited about meeting a troll.

so your saying... the 6 foot 6 guy

the guy who plays SG under coach phil jackson

who is about to 3 peat for the 2nd time

who coppied all of jordans moves

the guy who can do and does do everything a person can think of on the basketball court.

the man who has a 3 pointer, post moves, fadaways, pull ups, finishes inside, uses off hands as well has his good hands

and has always been the most compared with michael jordan throughout his career

is.... in your mind......... nothing like michael jordan

jordan could average 37ppg in the 80s

but kobe wouldnt crack 20

this is what your saying
    ?

Banned

i hope to god i dont end up like that hondo guy

in 40 years when players are dunking from 2 feet behind the free throw line in games. draining three pointers at a 60% clip and 5 players on each team are built like lebron with the skills of kobe x 5... i hope to god im not sitting on a forum holding onto some scraps from my out of date era hoping people will think my kobe could compete in that new era and no one in that new era could compete in kobes

if i do.... i pray someone kills me

in 40 years when players are dunking from 2 feet behind the free throw line in games. draining three pointers at a 60% clip and 5 players on each team are built like lebron with the skills of kobe x 5... i hope to god im not sitting on a forum holding onto some scraps from my out of date era hoping people will think my kobe could compete in that new era and no one in that new era could compete in kobes

If Kobe played in the 80's he'd of copied different players and not copied a guy thats hadn't really played yet.... Kobe says his game was built on copying players so if the people back then only dribbled with one hand and didn't crossover, wouldnt it make sense that he would do the same?

Kevin Garnett is also a Celtic - just thought I'd drop in and point that out.

Blu Ray

I think most Boston Celtics fans are seriously underestimating Raef LaFrentz. I mean, 7 three pointers in a half? LaFrentz baby!

so your saying... the 6 foot 6 guy

the guy who plays SG under coach phil jackson

who is about to 3 peat for the 2nd time

who coppied all of jordans moves

the guy who can do and does do everything a person can think of on the basketball court.

the man who has a 3 pointer, post moves, fadaways, pull ups, finishes inside, uses off hands as well has his good hands

and has always been the most compared with michael jordan throughout his career

is.... in your mind......... nothing like michael jordan

jordan could average 37ppg in the 80s

but kobe wouldnt crack 20

this is what your saying
    ?

Good college starter

Quote Originally Posted by crosso√er
    Parish, S.Jones, Cowens and so forth are irrelevant because those five players are sufficient enough to make my rebuttal. I honestly don't understand why people are infatuated with Pierce; he was off the map completely this past decade until 2008. An All-Star caliber player who didn't sniff the playoffs for half a decade it seems.

Now he has two future HOF'ers and people in this very thread; claiming he could end up being a top five Celtic, dethroning one of those legends? Those same legends that BUILT Celtic history, really?!
    I'm not too young; people in this thread clearly are.

McHale had arguably the most effective low-post game in league history, at his peak. Go do some studying kid; you can't take me serious because you named a bunch of legends who were also great low post scorers as some sort of validity in discrediting my point?

McHale had some of the greatest low-post moves I have ever seen and he was a hell of a lot more efficient then Tim Duncan or Hakeem Olajuwon in the paint.
    You can have "efficient" give me BETTER ........... Mchale isnt even in the convo in terms of Post moves with Hakeem,Duncan,hayes or Kareem and I could name more.Again mchale was a Jack Sickma on a Great team.

Quote Originally Posted by MMM
    Hondo is in my top 5 but my all time starting line up i think he is a better fit off the bench if that makes sense,, lol

Russell
    Bird
    Hondo
    Cousy
    Pierce
    McHale
    How can you guys not putting Red up there??

Red
    Russell
    Bird
    Hondo
    Cousy
    McHale/Parish
    Pierce

If Pierce gets one more ring, I will move him ahead of McHale and Parish.

College superstar

Quote Originally Posted by Hondo

kobe could not even shoot 50 % in last year's finals. the 70s celtics could beat most teams in last years play-offs with dave cowens just simply out hustling everybody and trying harder.

Truth=10 time all-star Duranthebest's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnySic
    Kevin Garnett is also a Celtic - just thought I'd drop in and point that out.
    What's your point?

These fantasies are not going to happen, unless the whole human race is going to be genetically modified. There will never be 5 guys with the skill of Kobe on each team, because being skilled at something is largely based on genetics, and humans are not exactly like microbes, which reproduce so often that they can become genetically superior within a short time. Kobe, along with a few others (and yes, these "others" include players from the 60's and 70's, because talent existed even when you weren't there to see), is at the top of the skill pyramid, and that's not going to change, unless we develop some alien type of technology (and this would probably irritate many of you or your children/grandchildren, who would be probably be put into reproducing restrictions or even bans).
    60% shooting from the 3 point land? Maybe some day someone who manages to barely qualify will pull it off for a season. Multiple players? Nope. Much like FT shooting, which, in more than half a century, has barely gone up, there is not much that indicates that 3-point shooting will, either.

The "Russell's 11 championships = Kobe's 5" crap, apart from ignoring the fact that Russell was almost always the Celtics' Finals' MVP, while Kobe not nearly so much, doesn't explain why before Russell there had only been one dynasty (and considerably smaller), why the increase of teams during his own era had no effect on his championship winning, despite the fact that he and his team were getting older and more fragile and why, immediately after he retired, there was no other repeat for almost 20 years, including the supposedly weak 70's. Ironically, after '86, there have been a total of 7 repeats and three-peats, within less than 25 years, including 5 repeats/three-pits in a row. I guess this must be the equivalent of having 5 consecutive 5-7 championship teams in Russell's era.

Morons ruined this thread.

I'll return after the playoffs if Pierce is victorious.