Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Default Re: 10 seconds left, tied up, ball in Jordans hands. Who do you chose to defend him?

Here's the quote. It's a little less about Artest's on the ball defense than i thought it was though. It's hard to tell if MJ is trying to say that he thought he in his prime vs Artest's defense would be a great match up or if he's just saying that Artest plays with passion so it wouldve been be fun to play against him while young...

"I love Ron Artest," says Michael Jordan, who developed an appreciation for his physical style when Artest broke two of Jordan's ribs the first day the two played together last summer in Chicago. "He's got so much intensity and such drive. I wish I could have played against him six years ago."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vau...1436/index.htm
    Last edited by tmacattack33; 08-28-2012 at 02:53 PM.

Local High School Star

Default Re: 10 seconds left, tied up, ball in Jordans hands. Who do you chose to defend him?

Cooper, Pippen, or Bowen.

Steve Nash.

I want the Bulls to win, not lose.

I would have to say Pip would be my first choice. But damn u also got Rodman, Kobe, and Michael Cooper would could easily be my first choice. What about Bruce Bowen as well? And don't sleep on those guards 6'3 to 6'5 like Dumars, Dennis Johnson, Payton, and Clyde Frazier either.

Very good NBA starter tmacattack33's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    MJ was beating THAT Artest.

And you're correct about my initial Bron reaction. But I still think he's too slow. The reason he could defend the other players, is because they're inferior to MJ.

Combine Rose's speed, with Iggy's athleticism, Pierce's athleticism, Melo's post game and you can start to get close to MJ.

That's not even counting MJ's superior IQ and instinct.

But I will retract my statement, although I don't think he can defend MJ.
    Yeah. I don't either.

I like Lebron's on the ball defense and i'd give it about an 8.5 or so.

The best part of his defense though is: 1. His versatility 2. Cornerback skills off the ball, able to deny people from ever getting the ball in the first place, and 3. Close out ability and ability to protect the rim.

So on the ball he's good, but there are many many players to choose from here to go up against MJ straight up one on one before you'd get to Lebron.

Judging by watching tapes of teenage Kobe vs Prime MJ...and Young Kobe vs old MJ...

no doubt Prime Kobe would be able to guard MJ.

Kobe had the foot speed/desire to make MJ take a ill advised shot.

and on the other side...no way MJ could guard Prime Kobe....Kobe by basically anything he wants.

Dunking on everybody in the park magictricked's Avatar

Anyone mention Reggie Lewis?

Fun topic

Doesn't matter in the end. Jordan was and incredible player, almost unstopable at times. And there's more than a few guys that you can say could guard Jordan. Jordan,s not going to sink every shot and defenders no matter how good aren't going to stop him every time.

Current guys I wouldn't be afraid to put Lebron on him for one play

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tmacattack33
    Yeah. I don't either.

I like Lebron's on the ball defense and i'd give it about an 8.5 or so.

The best part of his defense though is: 1. His versatility 2. Cornerback skills off the ball, able to deny people from ever getting the ball in the first place, and 3. Close out ability and ability to protect the rim.

So on the ball he's good, but there are many many players to choose from here to go up against MJ straight up one on one before you'd get to Lebron.
    Not saying he's bad, but I think there are better on the ball one on one defenders like you mentioned.

In regards to Artest

soundcloud.com/agua-1 andgar923's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaWolf24
    Judging by watching tapes of teenage Kobe vs Prime MJ...and Young Kobe vs old MJ...

no doubt Prime Kobe would be able to guard MJ.

Kobe had the foot speed/desire to make MJ take a ill advised shot.

and on the other side...no way MJ could guard Prime Kobe....Kobe by basically anything he wants.
    Are you serious?

Mj was getting mostly open looks and beating him with the first step, while Kobe was shooting mostly contested jumpers.

Good High School Starter Mach_3's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bizil
    I would have to say Pip would be my first choice. But damn u also got Rodman, Kobe, and Michael Cooper would could easily be my first choice. What about Bruce Bowen as well? And don't sleep on those guards 6'3 to 6'5 like Dumars, Dennis Johnson, Payton, and Clyde Frazier either.
    Michael Cooper was the first thought in my head, then it went to Pippen, prime KG for some reason (i guess was thinking ridiculous length plus the extremely high Defensive IQ he has) then i went to Bowen, and for some other reason Moncrief. Then i started thinking about Frazier and a couple others.

Truthfully i don't even think i have an answer to this question now that i think about it

Good college starter Rubio2Gasol's Avatar

Payton.

Quote Originally Posted by andgar923
    Are you serious?

Mj was getting mostly open looks and beating him with the first step, while Kobe was shooting mostly contested jumpers.

Kobe was splitting MJ and Pippen....blowing past both of em'...teenage Koas doppin 33 n limited minutes

deoyed PIP in Portland as a 20 year old....and dopped 42 on MJ in 1 hlf quarters

Born again Cavs fan bballnoob1192's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scm5
    Pippen or Kobe.

Pippen was the better overall defender, but Kobe is probably one of the best single possession defenders.
    yep kobe might not be the best defender all game but in any single possession that he puts every ounce of effort into he will make his opposing player look like a scrub

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHGleTaT2x4

many people use this video to support kobe as good defender, but got to say its those dedicated single possession of intense defense that gives him the edge in this kind of situation.

Banned

lol lebron is not as good a 1 on 1 defender as kobe ( when he wants to go 100% )

lebron just does chase down blocks and passing lane steals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHGleTaT2x4