Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    NBA sixth man of the year miller-time's Avatar

Default Re: Time Machines will never be invented.

Quote Originally Posted by InspiredLebowski
    traveling at the speed'o'light (which should be a fast food chain name) is impossible by the understanding of modern physics.

which isn't MY understanding of modern physics. but i read blogs.
    i was reading this today, only skimmed it but it seemed pretty interesting.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...hen-you-arrive

Roy Hibbert Super Star InspiredLebowski's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    i was reading this today, only skimmed it but it seemed pretty interesting.

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/1...hen-you-arrive
    made it to the second paragraph before I felt stupid

Decent playground baller

Quote Originally Posted by miller-time
    traveling at light speed slows down time relative to the earth. so if you travel for 1 year (by your watch) 100 years will have passed back on earth (i don't know if it is 100 but it'd be a big difference). so you can sort of time travel into the future (if light speed travel were possible), but you can't come back.
    I understand traveling in the speed of light would be groundbreaking for human technology and would be revolutional, but I don't see the positives of traveling forward in time however.

There are people who woke up from 20 years of coma, which is basically like traveling in time for them, other than the part where their body deteriorates. But what is there to gain from traveling to the future? Everything you known is already known, you can't take advantages from traveling forward. You are the one who loses knowledge of what happens in between.

here are the merits of traveling backward
    -prevent tragedies
    -get rich predicting lotteries, events
    -bring future technologies to the past
    -invent things before they were invented
    -see love ones in the past and talk to them
    -perhaps change history by triggering an action?
    -etc etc etc

But traveling forward the only merits I see are:
    -having your body at a distant future
    -being able to see future technology

There are ways we could achieve this now too. Freeze someone or put them to sleep in a state that prelongs their body. Wake them up later. But as seen above, there is nothing to be gained from this. You don't live forever, you just delay it.

Basically it's possible to bend time by gravity and speed(actually happens all the time, even on earth). Those are principles of the relativity, but bending is not time traveling per se(twin paradox, et al). The problem that comes at hand of this is first of all those thought experiments don't deal with acceleration and deceleration, they work for small masses like myons, who'd basically vanish before they hit earth, but still are measurable on the ground, because they travel at relativistic speeds.

So if an object of the mass of an average human could travel at relativistic speed without any form of acceleration/deceleration, which is basically impossible, they could travel foward through time, because a few minutes in their lifetime could be years on a reference system which doesn't travel at the same speed(twin paradox, again).

Backwards travel would basically need a donutstructured universe(Homer Simpson's theory), which restarts at every loops end with a parallel universe and you'd need wormholes to travel to that exact point in "time".

Classic physics don't allow any time travel since time there is absolut and "einsteinian/planckian" physics don't allow backwards time travels.

Quote Originally Posted by QuebecBaller
    What about these 4 time machines?

if a time machine is invented.. would it be possible to swap your wife every 10 years for the 22 years old version?

Quote Originally Posted by ripthekik
    if a time machine is invented.. would it be possible to swap your wife every 10 years for the 22 years old version?
    or when they invent reverse aging , which is a biliion times more likely than time travel

If you are from the future and are reading this, please get in touch with me. I promise and guarantee I won't tell anyone any of your secrets or anything about you. I never break any promises or guarantees. I have a favor to ask, and I would appreciate it from the bottom of my heart.

Saturday, November 17, 2012. 2:17 pm. East Coast of United States of America, ~35.43 miles SouthWest of New York City. I await you, friend.

O-Qua Tangin Wann

What about those 3 time machines?

There's various ways. If time travel is ever invented, then it would be in the distant future, and many other advances would have been made by then. There could be time travelers all over the place, but with their advanced technology, we don't know they're there. They could have us all brainwashed into thinking whatever they want us to. Maybe time travel involves alternate dimensions and they can't visit us but alternative versions.

There could be various limitations. Maybe only your consciousness could be sent back, so that you could only observe and not be able to physically interact with anything. Maybe you can only go back for a very limited amount of time. Maybe you die shortly after making the trip. Maybe the trip alters your brain, and wipes your memories/makes you insane/whatever and you end up as a John Doe that either doesn't know anything or is sent to the looney bin. Maybe it's very costly/risky/unstable to do it so it's only been done a very few amount of times and everything is done under very tight wraps.

Chuck Hayes Stan Timmy D for MVP's Avatar

No, OP you are a little off base.

While I do think that traveling backwards in time is not going to happen ever, your logic for it isn't quite there yet. You see you would only be able to travel back as far as when the machine was first turned on. So if it was invented in 2013 the furthest back you would ever be able to go is 2013. Were it possible they wouldn't come visit us because they couldn't.

As discussed here and previously time travel forward is possible, but again I doubt we'll ever truly reach the potential to do it.

They're making a third Bill and Ted.

코비=GOAT

Quote Originally Posted by Overdrive
    Basically it's possible to bend time by gravity and speed(actually happens all the time, even on earth).
    Hmm? Bent spacetime is gravity... Mass and energy bend spacetime; not speed or gravity(gravity is bent spacetime!)
    Those are principles of the relativity, but bending is not time traveling per se(twin paradox, et al). The problem that comes at hand of this is first of all those thought experiments don't deal with acceleration and deceleration, they work for small masses like myons, who'd basically vanish before they hit earth, but still are measurable on the ground, because they travel at relativistic speeds.

So if an object of the mass of an average human could travel at relativistic speed without any form of acceleration/deceleration, which is basically impossible, they could travel foward through time, because a few minutes in their lifetime could be years on a reference system which doesn't travel at the same speed(twin paradox, again).
    There is so much wrong with this. You need to go back to your intro physics text. You CAN travel forward in time without relativistic speeds and with acceleration. We are always travelling into the future. Where did you get this misinformation?
    Backwards travel would basically need a donutstructured universe(Homer Simpson's theory), which restarts at every loops end with a parallel universe and you'd need wormholes to travel to that exact point in "time".

Classic physics don't allow any time travel since time there is absolut and "einsteinian/planckian" physics don't allow backwards time travels.
    General relativity has nothing that forbids close timelike curves, but their existence implies exotic forms of matter. However closed timelike curves and chronology projection conjectures are still an open question, and saying general relativity forbids them is completely unfounded and definitely wrong.

You have to realize that even if time travel would be invented, people from the future wouldn't change history or tragic events from the past because the consequence of doing so would be unknown. For all we know, stopping hitler by killing him at an early age would lead to a nuclear war between USA and Russia which would then result in the destruction of all humanity, including the ones from the future.

Also, traveling to the future would be better since you would know exactly what will happen and you could come back to the present and prevent it.

I'd guess humanity would end before we could get to time travel. I think we're more likely to destroy life than to travel back in time.