View Single Post
Old 03-28-2014, 03:35 AM   #121
Lakers91
Decent playground baller

Default Re: ☆ Lakers Open Court ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08
You mentioned Riley and the big 3, like I said, superstars would take a few million dollar pay cut but I don't see the taking more than 5 mil(which btw Kobe already gave a discount compare from his last contract) IMO. Of course there are exceptions...
I think you are underestimating the intelligence of Kobe, that he's aware how salary cap works, how every team can't simply sign any great free agents once they acquire very expensive players, its just that these players still value the mighty dollar just like what Nash said last week.

I don't disagree with that but I think it's a bit different because the big three had a few million paycut but because that was considered a discount compared to their last contracts because in a way they still had that market value, LeBron took what was it 16 million a year? He could have been offered 20-25 or so, it's a fair bit to take less but the market value would have justified teams paying far more, Kobe's market value isn't quite the same anymore, it's a pretty big paycut for someone like Kobe to take what was it this year 30 million down to if he were to accept it 10-15 but really had the Lakers let him hit open market then that's probably what he'd see he'd get anyway so it is a discount from his previous contract a big one but it's really just what his market value is (that's my take on that hopefully that's somewhat decent reasoning I just don't see it as much as a discount because really his market value is not what any of the big three could have got from other teams, not so much a discount in terms of market value just compared to his last contract which that amount isn't exactly justified now if you were to offer him a similar contract it's not worth it if you look at the risks and his market value if you let him be a FA)

Maybe the big three and other players has affected the view that players will take paycuts to win titles, maybe few players actually are like that maybe it's an idealistic view I have that players would take a few million or more less to help a team build a contender/have money to do so at the least, I'm not sure if this was kind of addressing my post as well or just DK's? But I certainly wouldn't be underestimating Kobe's intelligent, he seems from what I can see a pretty intelligent person, he's rather enigmatic and hard to read so I can't say for sure but his IQ I think would be above average 120 - 130 range probably he certainly isn't stupid, I can be a little idealistic and a pessimist but if I'm Kobe if I can be making 10 million about 6 I assume with taxes after all I've made having just made close to 60 million off my last contract I wouldn't be too annoyed I'd be happy to take less given I'm still making heaps from advertising outside of basketball knowing it's a big market and the Lakers if I take less (show I'm dedicated to building a contender>money) then they've probably got more chance than other teams due to still having a lot of cap space and an attractive market (sorry that was first person if I was Kobe/using my mindset haha)
Lakers91 is offline   Reply With Quote