View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 12:53 PM   #3
IGotACoolStory
Harry Giles:Next KG

IGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: Top PG Emmanuel Mudiay commits to SMU

I watched him some during the EYBL and he was very unimpressive. Looking at his stats: he played 13 games, averaged 14.6 ppg and 5.0 apg on 38%/15%/69%. His team went 7-11. I don't know what their record was when Mudiay played.

Now he doesn't play on a particularly talented team, but in the past that usually meant the star player would stat pad. As an example, Tyus Jones plays on a relatively weak AAU team and his team still went 12-6 with him leading the way at: 22.8 ppg and 6.8 apg on 57%/45%/88%. Jones' team is basically him and Reid Travis (a top 50 big).

Through the entire EYBL, Mudiay was probably the 4th 2014 best PG on the circuit behind Jones, Berry, and Ulis. Maybe even behind Lyle. He just wasn't that good.

Granted, up to that point, I have only seen him at the EYBL and once in a high school game about a year ago so my sample size isn't great. It's that when some of the top scouts compare you to John Wall (who I watched a lot of and he was consistently spectacular in high school), I except to see a something resembling John Wall. I also heard he played well at some of the lesser tournaments.

You can't teach 6-5 in a PG, though, and for that reason it wouldn't shock me if he ends up as the best pro PG in the class. He does have natural point guard instincts at his size and physical tools unlike most NBA PGs. He reminds more of slightly more athletic Tyreke Evans, with better PG skills and a much less talented driver. Larry Brown is a good choice to learn from how to play the position, too.
IGotACoolStory is offline   Reply With Quote