View Single Post
Old 08-20-2013, 12:13 PM   #23
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS: Cleveland Cavaliers Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
No draft, signings done, no Summer League. Two months of nothingness......so it's time to do some ANALYSIS!!! One team at a time!!!

A brand new series which is not similar to any other sports websites idea....called....... ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS.

So let's go through the league alphabetically, shall we?

Previous teams:

Atlanta Hawks: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=309213
Boston Celtics: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=309651
Brooklyn Nets: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310158
Charlotte Bobcats: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310309
Chicago Bulls: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=310413

Today's team?

THE CLEVELAND CAVALIERS

PG - Irving/Jack
SG - Waiters/Miles/Karasev/Felix
SF - Clark/Gee
PF - Thompson/Bennett
C - Bynum/Verajao/Zeller

Head Coach - Mike Brown
General Manager - Chris Grant

1. TRUE or FALSE: With the young talent base already on the team, the Cavaliers have the nucleus of a future championship contender.

2. TRUE or FALSE: The Cavaliers should trade Anderson Verajao for younger talents/draft picks.

3. CONSPIRACY TRUE or FALSE: Mike Brown was predominantly rehired to help recruit Lebron James.

4. TRUE or FALSE: Picking Anthony Bennett first overall was a mistake.

5. TRUE or FALSE: The Cleveland Cavaliers will make the playoffs this season.

+ 2 BONUS QUESTIONS!!!

BONUS 1. TRUE or FALSE: Bynum, Verajao, Thompson, Bennett, Clark, Zeller: If healthy, this is the deepest frontcourt in the league.

BONUS 2. TRUE or FALSE: Dion Waiters will develop into a legit 2nd option.

You can elaborate on your answers.

Next up: Dallas Mavericks. Have a Five Question suggestion for the Mavericks? Send me a PM with ideas.

1) I like this collection of talent, but I don't feel like this is a future title contender as it stands. The pieces just don't fit that well as I see it. I'm a Syracuse fan, and have a fondness for Waiters, but he's too ball dominant to be the ideal fit next to Irving. Bynum, if he's by miracle able to get back, is a bit of a clogger, and not really a great fit next to Waiters or Bennett who are get to the bucket types, and even limits Kyrie.
There's a lot of talent, I just don't like the fit. And it would be nice if Irving could get through a season without missing time, even though it's often for minor stuff.

2) At this point, I'd try to keep Varajao. The window for me was last year, when he was playing as good as ever, and a contender could talk themselves into a two year window chasing titles. Now he's an expensive rental. And his skills and age limit the market to only real contenders. A bad team is only gonna look at him as a contract dump, meaning they'll want to load off a bad contract on the Cavs, which doesn't help them at all.
If Jimmy Butler keeps progressing, and Snell starts out well on the wing, and Noah has continued foot issues, would you consider a swap of one year rentals of Varajoa for Deng? Because Andy would fit well with the Bulls defensive scheme and give them some much needed depth. While Deng would be a massive upgrade over Earl Clark, or anything else the Cavs could do at SF, and he's already accustomed to playing next to a ball dominant Guard. I don't think Chicago would do it, but it would be interesting.

3) God I hope that's not true. I thought Mike Brown's inept offense was part of why Lebron left. I really don't care for Mike Brown as a coach. But I thought he was brought in primarily because this team has some horrible defensive tendencies outside of Varajao. Ivring and Waiters are borderline turnstyles, probably fighting with Portland this year for worst defensive backcourts in the league. Earl Clark is a stretch four playing SF. Bennett doesn't have the footspeed to defend at SF. Thompson is ok, but not a classic rim protector. For all the faults with Mike Brown, he will get his teams to defend. He's like a homeless man's Tom Thibedue.

4) I hate to say it, but yes, I think taking Bennett was a mistake. And the reason I hate to say it is because I really liked Bennett coming into the draft, but he needed the right situation, and this isn't it. I really liked Bennett in Phx. My opinion coming in was the he was the toughest cover in this draft. The most gettinest buckets guy available. Phx had no offensive first option. Charlotte made some sense. Even the Wiz I thought could work. But with a couple big bodies in the lane, and two guards who tend to have the ball, he's being reduced to occasional mismatches and stretching the weakside of the floor with his jumper. And that's not enough to overlook what are going to be some defensive flaws. I really felt Otto Porter, who has a much more complete floor game, was a much better fit, and that's who I would've taken (and I stand by that even though he looked awfull in Vegas). And frankly I would've been tempted to roll the dice with Noel and seen if I could've added another piece next year by not playing him and not signing Bynum, and letting what I had develop. Or something that I heard after the fact that I didn't think of was go Oladipo, finally getting some perimeter defense out there, and moving Waiters to his natural position as the go to guy on a bench unit when Iriving is out, not unlike old Bobby Jackson, which really is probably where he belongs.

5) Like Atlanta, I see them in the mix for those 7/8 spots, with Washington, maybe Milwaukee.

BONUS 1) That's a deep frontcourt. It just doesn't fit that well together. And there's pieces in there I like more than most. I think Zeller's ability to run makes him a legit rotation piece in the league. And I think Earl Clark is a legit rotation stretch 4 in the league too. But Bynum to me ideally would be playing next to Clark as a SF, and then a truer SF.

BONUS 2) As I said before, I see Dion Waiters' destiny as one of those irrational confidence bench guys in the Bobby Jackson mold, only bigger and more physical. It would help if he was a little more focused defensively to make him a true starter, but even then he kind of needs to be the focul point of an offense, otherwise he just loses too much value.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote