View Single Post
Old 03-14-2013, 12:38 AM   #32
fpliii
LA Lakers Est. 1960

Default Re: Magic Johnson averaged a triple double over his 1st 4 playoff runs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoah10115
Nope.

Maybe. I have an obligation to put him over Barkley, even tho Barkley was a better player at his best and did so in a much better era...and he simply did more, stepped up in every big situation, but simply didn't win...and, I guess, didn't get close enough to the promised land as much as he needed to. But I'd take Barkley over most of the guys I'm supposed to put on the list.

Well yeah lol. No original thinking can leave Jordan off the list.

Looking back at his career and thinking back to all the old games I've seen...I'm trying too hard to pick, when the Logo is right there.

Just curious...where do you have the Big O and Dr. J? I'm trying to rationalize your placing KAJ at 6 (not that I have a problem with this; I don't subscribe to the idea of GOAT lists anymore, but my last list slotted Cap at 5...it's just that putting him there is a minority view).

BTW I know the typical what if regarding Bird regards his bad back, but how about his finger? In 'When the Game Was Ours', IMO there are two interesting points of contention regarding the Bird/Magic comparison (I'm going off of memory, apologies for any inaccuracies):

Before reporting to the C's training camp, Bird was playing softball with one of his brothers, and his finger was severely damaged (I believe he noted that he'd completely lost his shooting touch thereafter, but obviously he was still extremely effective). You gotta imagine that, although he was one of the great shooters in league history, that he could've been even better in that regard.

During the end of their college careers, the word on Bird was that he was Magic with a jumpshot (though to simulate playing against Indiana State, Magic did his best Bird impression and sank jumper after jumper, from distance, against his teammates, almost automatically...one shot was from far enough from the basket that his coach called him out of bounds).

(FWIW I had Magic as one of three potential GOAT candidates, with MJ and Russ being the other two, in my last rankings before giving up on the concept...both he and Bird were legendary players.)
fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote