View Single Post
Old 02-16-2013, 08:17 PM   #180
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

Default Re: "Antoni and the missing "D"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
Having height and size is always a physical advantage and that will never change in basketball. Of course skill is the #1 attribute you want, if you have skill and size that gets you an edge on the competition. Sure big men need to shoot outside more today than they ever have. And absolutely the rules have changed, so I agree with those points. But to say there aren't big men at all in the NBA anymore just isn't right. I think if we looked at rosters from 70's & 80's the heights and sizes of players at their respective positions is pretty close to the same as it is today. Their skill sets may be slightly different, but I think it's still important for a team to have a guy who has a back to the basket game. That's how these teams get through the playoffs. You have to have people who can get close easy shots in the paint. That's the difference in these games that are often decided by just a few points.

I am 100% for having big men in the game, so I agree with you about the importance.

The point I was making is that the NBA is trying to eliminate the Center position and I was explaining HOW they are doing it. I have been saying this for at least 3 years and more so last season. despite criticism I got.

So what happened......the NBA removed the Center position entirely this year.....if that is not an absolute clear sign of what they are up to, then there will never be a clear sign. Stern wants full speed, no contact, shot jacking and has done everything in his power to make this happen......look at the flop rule added this year, look at how easily they call flagrant fouls and the penalties for picking those up......if a Center tries to block a shot and misses, accidentally hitting the player at all, it is an automatic flagrant......and it doesn't take very many to earn a suspension........result = Bigs will have to back off and let guys score.....no more hard fouls to send a message to opponents. It's overwhelmingly clear what Stern's intent is.

Again, I am 100% against Stern's plots to eliminate the position.

But mark my words, there will continue to be anti Big Man rules added every year until it becomes pointless to have a big guy.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote