View Single Post
Old 02-15-2013, 01:44 AM   #47
ThaRegul8r
National High School Star

ThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation hereThaRegul8r has a near all-star reputation here
Default Re: Could Dennis Rodman defend Lebron?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung
Doesn't anyone know why the Spurs did not put Dennis Rodman on a red-hot Hakeem Olajuwon in the 1995 Western Conference finals?

Yes, while the Spurs had Robinson in his MVP prime, if Rodman was some all-world defender on the level of Bobby Jones he would've guarded Hakeem.

Robinson was First Team All-Defense and played Hakeem's position. Why would he not guard him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotterdammerung
But I recall reading his autobiography and elsewhere that the Spurs thought he would get in foul trouble quickly so they gambled and had Rodman guard Horry in the perimeter.

As a result Rodman's instincts led him to sink back in the paint, leaving Horry open all series long.

Rodman's obsession with rebounds led him to sink back into the paint in order to be in position to rebound. I've posted about this before, but I'm unsure if I did so on this board, as I'm a member of several boards. Sometimes I forget what I've posted where.

On an aside, speaking of Rodman, that's why I only take the Detroit DPOY Rodman on any team of mine, and none of the later versions. If what you're doing on the court doesn't help your team win games then it's meaningless. Getting big rebounding totals at the expense of leaving your defensive assignment open does not help your team win games. That's one reason why people can't just cite stats.
ThaRegul8r is offline   Reply With Quote