View Single Post
Old 02-14-2013, 07:38 PM   #21
Rake2204
5-time NBA All-Star

Default Re: SI's Top 10 Dunk Contest Dunks

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
well i guess depends how do you define all time great... if its about originality then yeah most of the dunks on that list are original... as in how tough is it to make them... then absolutely not, 7 or 8 of them can be done by pretty much any above average dunker right now, while the same cant be said for that griffin dunk...
jordan, wilkins, drj, carter, jrich... those were the real dunks... no gimmicks
I think originality has to play at least a little bit of a role when ranking dunk contest dunks. Of course, style and difficulty must also play big parts. The reasoning behind the importance of originality is in part to account for how the dunk was initially received when it was first completed.

For instance, if a player emulated Vince Carter's honey dip this year exactly as he did it, how might it be received? I feel like we'd peer at one another thinking, "That's it?" However, at the time, when we had not even fathomed such a slam in our imaginations, it was mind-blowing to witness (remember how the crowd didn't really cheer until they watched the replay to confirm their suspicions of what'd just happened?) It was a spectacular dunk and a spectacular moment.

On the flip side, I've never been a huge fan of Dee Brown's no-look dunk. I feel like "the moment" may have provided a little too much propulsion to his legend - pumping up his shoes and whatnot.

All that said, I disagree that any above average dunker can complete every dunk on that list. I also disagree with the notion that the majority of dunks on that list are easier to truly replicate than Blake Griffin's final 360 product. It was a difficult dunk, and it'd provide a problem to small guards and two-foot dunkers who cannot palm a ball or jump off one foot (Francis, Richardson, Wilkins) but it didn't strike me as a dunk residing on a different difficulty plane than the slams mentioned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGotACoolStory
J Rich's bounce, between the legs, reverse is #1. That is a preposterously difficult and unique dunk. Exactly what the dunk contest is about
I respectfully disagree. I personally believe dunking the ball between-the-legs after throwing it off the backboard would be much more difficult than a self-alley off the bounce. Lobbing and bouncing the rock tends to provide players with a little more time to prepare, especially when it's a self-pass (as opposed to a teammate pass). Also, not having the ball in one's hands for such an extended period of time allows for the freedom of approaching, planting, and leaping exactly when you want.

On a backboard toss, the process is pretty much in motion as the toss is happening. The ball's not floating in its dunk zone as long and it's pretty much an insane bang-bang play to be able to make the toss then still be able to throw it between the legs on the catch.

Also, to be a complete stickler, I thought Richardson's bounce between-the-legs was a little ugly. And, when discussing the greatest dunk contest dunks of all-time (particularly when considering one slam for the top spot) I think those dunks better appear just about perfect. In this case, J-Rich's dunk was outstanding, but it also looked a little awkward, lacked in power, and did not go down cleanly.

In contrast, I found Vince Carter's cuffed, clockwise 360 windmill to be just about as perfect as a dunk can get. I don't know if that makes it number one on the list but in all the areas I'd nick Richardson's bounce dunk, Carter's slam excels. In fact, in those same areas, Richardson's backboard slam excels (although I guess it could have gone down slightly stronger).

Last edited by Rake2204 : 02-14-2013 at 07:51 PM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote